What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So many people want to go to NRL games...but....

Moffo

Referee
There is just something fundamental missing with the presentation of the game when you are at the ground

Comparing it to other sports, there is just something that makes an NRL game feel like less of an event when it is compared to other games. I can't put my hand on it, maybe its the stadiums, maybe it's the small things like the pre game entertainment....I don't know

Does anyone else feel this? I speak to quite a few non league fans and they all essentially say the same thing

innsaneink

Referee
Theres always atmosphere missing at ANZ....large cold concrete bowl usually less than 1/5th full doesnt lend itself to an event on a grand scale

thommo4pm

Coach
I get excited before attending every Dragons game. I don't care about pre-match entertainment, sitting watching that I prefer the game would just start instead.

bottle

Coach
There is just something fundamental missing with the presentation of the game when you are at the ground

Comparing it to other sports, there is just something that makes an NRL game feel like less of an event when it is compared to other games. I can't put my hand on it, maybe its the stadiums, maybe it's the small things like the pre game entertainment....I don't know

Does anyone else feel this? I speak to quite a few non league fans and they all essentially say the same thing

I find that hard to believe.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well you learn something new every day. Like even Moffo is capable of starting threads that make sense and I agree with.

well...yeah

its to do with cost i would say.
it is kinda flat.

the thing that annoys me is the announcer getting people into the game..its f**king lame..every ground its the same and the crowd is more or less "yeah yea, we know...get on with it"

I think the fact the Toyota Cup seems to finish at least 45 minutes before the game adds to the problem. Clubs are trying to fill the time and seem to use it to put on ads on big screen and yell so loud you can't have a conversation with the person next to you.

And then you have idiot ground announcers like Mark Warren at our ground that give an aspro a headache.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah. The gap between NYC and the NRL is too long. I get so bored over that time that I just play with my phone until the games ready to kick off.

I know that the kids love it when they play on the field so id be reluctant to give that up.

DC_fan

Coach
I think the fact the Toyota Cup seems to finish at least 45 minutes before the game adds to the problem.

You are not wrong. I have never understood why we need such a big gap bewteen the games.

I know both first grade teams get out and do their warm ups on the grounds. That was interesting to watch the first four or five times I saw it. But now I don't pay any attention to it.

Let the players find somewhere else to warm up. Their should be no more then a 15 minute break between games.

oval

Juniors
Rundown sh*thole it may be, but there is no lack of excitement / atmosphere / sense of occasion at a Brookvale oval game.

I think it is more a reflection of ANZ stadium. I feel sorry for you supporters who have to endure that vast soulless and empty bowl on a regular basis. Move the Dogs back to Belmore and the Rabbits back to Redfern and games will become far more enjoyable.

IanG

Coach
Yeah. The gap between NYC and the NRL is too long. I get so bored over that time that I just play with my phone until the games ready to kick off.

I know that the kids love it when they play on the field so id be reluctant to give that up.

I agree on both counts. You wouldn't want to deprive the mini and mod league kids the chance to play on an NRL ground.

I think we also miss the days of all 3 grades being on show with the way it's structured today.

I liked what they had at Mt Smart Stadium when I was over there last year.

They had all 3 grades on show. NSW Cup game as a curtain raiser as well as Toyota Cup and 1st Grade, but also had Junior League demo, but what I also enjoyed was that during breaks in play they had was music playing. It gave it a real party atmosphere.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

The gap in standard between the NYC and the NRL is too big as well. It really should be a 30 minute break between games, and NYC being U23's or U20's with exceptions for a limited number of senior players. The NRL has consistently created a bigger divide between the two levels of the game, this gives fans absolutely no incentive to show up earlier other than getting to their seat early. If they had a good product, pre-game entertainment would be less of an issue.

Presentation wise, it varies from club to club, I personally don't mind how the dragons handle it, having dragons tv before the game and during half time, gives fans an insight into the players... It's boring for opposition fans no doubt, but sure as hell it's probably a lot better than a bunch of fans rolling a massive ball from one end of the field to the other.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Not a problem at Suncorp.

Aside from GF's, the last game i saw in Sydney was at North Sydney oval in 1989. It had atmosphere.

But from what i see of sydney on TV...its the grounds, its the price of beer, its the small crowds..it comes off as feeling very flat. Brookvale and Win seem the best.

docbrown

Coach
I agree on both counts. You wouldn't want to deprive the mini and mod league kids the chance to play on an NRL ground.

I think we also miss the days of all 3 grades being on show with the way it's structured today.

They had all 3 grades on show. NSW Cup game as a curtain raiser as well as Toyota Cup and 1st Grade, but also had Junior League demo, but what I also enjoyed was that during breaks in play they had was music playing. It gave it a real party atmosphere.

I find it weird that a team comes out for a warm up and you applaud them then they have to go back in and when they come out again you applaud them as if you didn't just see them a few minutes before. It's a little bizarre.

The opening game at Newcastle was well done. From memory there was a Under 20s, a rock band, cheerleaders, the helicopter cup fly in, mini-mods, marching band. Last week at half time they had these giant balls out that people had to run 200m rolling them up and down the field. They are getting quite good at that.

I think for Sunday games they should like kids on the field afterwards as a given.

undertaker

Coach

100% agree with you Sir Ian! That's the one thing I missed about going to Knights games in the '90s compared to today. These days, I only go to see the first-grade match when I attend an NRL game. Back in those days, my father and I used to regularly arrive when the reserve grade match started, or sometimes, the U23 Presidents Cup match at 11am.

Amazing that back then, it wasn't uncommon for the ground to be packed to the rafters during the reserve grade match. It was good to see the upcoming stars. Now, with the Toyota Cup, it just doesn't feel the same. It is not the answer, and the whole junior/lower grade competitions and structure needs to be dealt with by the ARLC. One day you could be playing as the curtain raiser at an NRL ground, next game you could be relegated to park football in the Jim Beam Cup.

Last edited:

Moffo

Referee
Yeh good feedback guys. What are your thoughts on the following:

- pre game show on the TV. I think souffs did a good job with this a few years ago (punching through a brick wall) but overall it is pretty lame across the board
- how the players run out on the field. Id like to see both clubs come out at the same time ala the premier league. Just builds a sense of occasion and atmosphere
- theme songs when they run out. Sure a couple of clubs do this well but overall it sucks. Imagine if every club had a you'll never walk alone' song to come out to
- the announcers at the ground. Agree, f**k them off or shut them up. Anyone who has ever been to a yankees game would know how effective they can be

docbrown

Coach
Yeh good feedback guys. What are your thoughts on the following:

- pre game show on the TV. I think souffs did a good job with this a few years ago (punching through a brick wall) but overall it is pretty lame across the board
- how the players run out on the field. Id like to see both clubs come out at the same time ala the premier league. Just builds a sense of occasion and atmosphere
- theme songs when they run out. Sure a couple of clubs do this well but overall it sucks. Imagine if every club had a you'll never walk alone' song to come out to
- the announcers at the ground. Agree, f**k them off or shut them up. Anyone who has ever been to a yankees game would know how effective they can be

1. They've got to involve the fans in it somehow and not be competing against booming music or ads

2. Yes

3. Yes! Some people will deride it as an AFL thing but ever since the Dragons beat us last year I have wanted the Knights to have a simple catchy theme song. Those dragons supporters were just rubbing salt into the wound and we had to listen to it in silence.

4. I guess it depends on the announcer

Latest posts