What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So much negativity

Datramp

Juniors
BJ lost the ball. I do however think we got the rub of the green last night. Thommo breaking Austin's nose should have been a penalty, the wighton/dugan knock on probably shouldn't have been and a few other calls.

Not that I am complaining, but if I had have been a raiders fan I would have been screaming at the refs much like I am when we play the storm or the broncos

ONPOINT

Juniors
Exactly. I love my team but I also like to watch the game in unbiased fashion. Couldn't imagine the threads on this forum if we were the raiders last night.

saintjeff

Juniors
Do the people commenting on-site who are negative actually go to games
Maybe they should go to the games and support instead of bitching on the forum
Thommos hit was not a swinging arm ,,Obstruction on raiders first try ,wighton did knock on when duges came through .They were ligit calls we get our fair share of shit calls too

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Thommos hit was not a swinging arm ,,Obstruction on raiders first try ,wighton did knock on when duges came through .They were ligit calls we get our fair share of shit calls too

You must have been in the dark section

Smirrors

Juniors
Mary comes back to bite all the naysayers in the sack. Have some faith in him guys. We showed what we could do last year with an average team and its only going to get better. So happy to see Benji go well too!

Dragons 09

Juniors
If this game doesn't get you excited and pumped nothing will ever please most. A few points iv seen that I want to point out.
A. Not really any team has controlled rapana and leuloea. B. Our cover in defence when they make the breaks were incredible. The guts they showed is really going unnoticed. Seeing the lads go crazy when aitken scores. Enjoy it and stop being so god damn negative. Raiders are a class side and we have beaten them.

Love your enthusiasm mate, really I do, but negativity is also an integral component of self-betterment. The positives you have outlined are founded and I also was particularly pleased to see the lads go off when Aitken scored, it just shows that they want success as much as we all do. But if we only concentrate on the positives and bury our heads in the sand and allow the negatives to fester, then our full potential can never be realised.

I am one who has been critical with some of my comments and I stand by them. I am balanced however and also give credit where it is due, but the negative aspects of our sides performances are fixable, are not insurmountable and a lot of them are kindergarten stuff and that is what makes it even more frustrating and leads to continued negative sentiment.

For example, Why do we continue with adopting "set plays" as our attack strategy (which ostensibly is an attacking structure designed for ball playing fullbacks) rather than adopting a "second phase play" strategy? By persisting with set plays, all as we are doing is frustrating ourselves because we don't have a ball playing fullback, nor do our halves take the line on, so the end result is always going to be to crab across field and be bundled into touch or the play breaks down. What results then is play maker frustration, so we just revert to the good old bomb. (Or in a lot of cases, a very poor bomb because it was not part of the script and no one is ready for it)

There's not too many more lethal weapons in the NRL than Duges in broken play, so why not send our forwards up in numbers, create defence uncertainty and have Duges following looking for an offload? And have our backrowers stand wide and run at gaps with Duges trailing them looking for the offload instead of using our backrowers as battering rams? I love Duges, but he's not a ball playing full back, but no dramas, just play to his strengths for god sake. It's coaching 101.

And I am frustrated for Widdop. By giving him the captaincy and an ineffective game plan to administer, we have basically taken away any creative ability he possesses. He is now expected to deliver a game plan that is flawed, ensure his team follows the same flawed game plan, play what he sees but don't deviate from the flawed game plan or he will be castigated (confusing huh?), when the game plan is obviously failing he sees it as his responsibility to make something happen and at the same time has to stick within the same flawed game plan or be castigated (even more confusing for him) and the end result of this is frustration, poor decisions and a lack of attention to detail which leads to a poor pass or a mistimed bomb or kicking down the fullbacks throat.....the list goes on. I have seen what Widdop is capable of over the years and it is a lot more than he is showing currently and I believe the captaincy is having a huge impact on that. I suspect a skilled coach would also see that and make the necessary changes, but a rookie coach, maybe even a stubborn coach, would not make the same assessment.

There are many other examples of the Dragons current structure that are less than ideal, but to pretend they are not real so as we are not seen as ?negative? is actually an insult to people who think like me. I have the same passion for the Dragons as you do and I am as entitled as you to say my piece even if it offends some. I was extremely happy to get 2 points last night, saw some positive things that I hope we build on, I lol?d at Sticky?s face at the end of the game and as I have been for 10 rounds, I was encouraged that our team tried their guts out to the very end.

I see the positives, but I also see we have deficiencies and the biggest one is a rookie coach that needs massive amounts of help. If that is being negative, then guilty as charged and proud of it.

BennyV

Referee

Lol.

Thommos hit was a swinging arm to the head, you're off your nut if you can't see that. UNsure where you saw an obstruction on their first try, and Wighton knocked it backwards with Dugan pushing it dead.

And yeah, I was at the game last night, cheering and laughing when those calls went our way, and hi giving everyone I could reach when Aitken scored for us to win. Doesn't take away from the fact that the Raiders were absolute shit, we seemed to do everything we could to give them the game and we were lucky to get away with the 2 points.

BennyV

Referee
Unfortunately, when we're hanging around mid-table, club won't move on coach (might even extend his contract).

We're in this dead zone, not good enough to genuinely compete and not bad enough (in terms of clicking over dour, small margin wins - as is expected from a mid table club) to instigate a change to coaching from an inept and lazy board. And there's a smell of death about this sad state of affairs.

I hate mediocrity. I hate it with a passion. The club needs people like me.

Straight Shooter

Sadly, this is true. Well, not the part about needing people like you - I mean, the people we employ need to have SOME idea about the game of Rugby League - but f**k, it would be just awesome to have some people employed at the club who want it to be the biggest, best and most powerful f**king club in the universe!

At the moment, the club and most fans seem happy to float around the fringe of the Top 8 while never really threatening the title.

smi962

First Grade
Our biggest strength at moment is thr ability to bring opposition down to play at our level. Then manage scrape through games by 2 pts or golden point.

2010Dragons

Bench
Love your enthusiasm mate, really I do, but negativity is also an integral component of self-betterment. The positives you have outlined are founded and I also was particularly pleased to see the lads go off when Aitken scored, it just shows that they want success as much as we all do. But if we only concentrate on the positives and bury our heads in the sand and allow the negatives to fester, then our full potential can never be realised.

I am one who has been critical with some of my comments and I stand by them. I am balanced however and also give credit where it is due, but the negative aspects of our sides performances are fixable, are not insurmountable and a lot of them are kindergarten stuff and that is what makes it even more frustrating and leads to continued negative sentiment.

For example, Why do we continue with adopting "set plays" as our attack strategy (which ostensibly is an attacking structure designed for ball playing fullbacks) rather than adopting a "second phase play" strategy? By persisting with set plays, all as we are doing is frustrating ourselves because we don't have a ball playing fullback, nor do our halves take the line on, so the end result is always going to be to crab across field and be bundled into touch or the play breaks down. What results then is play maker frustration, so we just revert to the good old bomb. (Or in a lot of cases, a very poor bomb because it was not part of the script and no one is ready for it)

There's not too many more lethal weapons in the NRL than Duges in broken play, so why not send our forwards up in numbers, create defence uncertainty and have Duges following looking for an offload? And have our backrowers stand wide and run at gaps with Duges trailing them looking for the offload instead of using our backrowers as battering rams? I love Duges, but he's not a ball playing full back, but no dramas, just play to his strengths for god sake. It's coaching 101.

And I am frustrated for Widdop. By giving him the captaincy and an ineffective game plan to administer, we have basically taken away any creative ability he possesses. He is now expected to deliver a game plan that is flawed, ensure his team follows the same flawed game plan, play what he sees but don't deviate from the flawed game plan or he will be castigated (confusing huh?), when the game plan is obviously failing he sees it as his responsibility to make something happen and at the same time has to stick within the same flawed game plan or be castigated (even more confusing for him) and the end result of this is frustration, poor decisions and a lack of attention to detail which leads to a poor pass or a mistimed bomb or kicking down the fullbacks throat.....the list goes on. I have seen what Widdop is capable of over the years and it is a lot more than he is showing currently and I believe the captaincy is having a huge impact on that. I suspect a skilled coach would also see that and make the necessary changes, but a rookie coach, maybe even a stubborn coach, would not make the same assessment.

There are many other examples of the Dragons current structure that are less than ideal, but to pretend they are not real so as we are not seen as ?negative? is actually an insult to people who think like me. I have the same passion for the Dragons as you do and I am as entitled as you to say my piece even if it offends some. I was extremely happy to get 2 points last night, saw some positive things that I hope we build on, I lol?d at Sticky?s face at the end of the game and as I have been for 10 rounds, I was encouraged that our team tried their guts out to the very end.

I see the positives, but I also see we have deficiencies and the biggest one is a rookie coach that needs massive amounts of help. If that is being negative, then guilty as charged and proud of it.

:clap::clap::clap: Excellent explanation.
I don't know who you are but I vote you as our new coach/captain/CEO.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Our biggest strength at moment is thr ability to bring opposition down to play at our level. Then manage scrape through games by 2 pts or golden point.

That's a really good observation - we do seem to have that ability, with the mid-range teams at least. It's like they've trained to cope with really good sides. When they face us, they don't know what to do and fall to pieces.

I'd call that a positive.

saintjeff

Juniors
GROUCH if you didnt see the obstruction you must not been watching closely
It must be sad to boo Santa Clause

Dragonslayer

First Grade

:clap::clap::clap:

One of the best posts in recent times. Very well said.

The guys tried their guts out

Some good offloads which provided some second phase footy

Defence was compressed and relatively solid in the middle

Our short kicking game sucks

Our team is like a computer without a CPU.

Rein had several brain explosions where he kicked when all he needed to do was use the 2-3 man overlap

Frizz and most of the other forwards ran hard

Lafai is getting better and has a dangerous step

Our tactics need revision

Puff2010

Juniors
The guys tried their guts out

Some good offloads which provided some second phase footy

Defence was compressed and relatively solid in the middle

Our short kicking game sucks

Our team is like a computer without a CPU.

Rein had several brain explosions where he kicked when all he needed to do was use the 2-3 man overlap

Frizz and most of the other forwards ran hard

Lafai is getting better and has a dangerous step

Our tactics need revision

Objective view.
Our 5th tackle kicking at the line is poor at the moment, but get that right and some repeat sets and our confidence will build

Dragonsdiehard

Juniors
While I recognise there is still much room for improvement, I thought those few sets leading to the Frizelle try were some of the most determined and attacking sets I have seen from the team all season. Positive signs there is a geniine footy team in their somewhere. Canberra have shown they thus far they are anything but easy pushovers and in light of our previous outing in Auckland, it was pleasing to see our side grind it out with Canberra in what I perceived to be a very physical and fast contest.

stgill2001

Juniors
That's fine but literally minutes After the game the trolls come on and say how shit were can't we just enjoy the game. There were much more positives than negatives. Enjoy it go the Saints.

Dragonsdiehard

Juniors
That's fine but literally minutes After the game the trolls come on and say how shit were can't we just enjoy the game. There were much more positives than negatives. Enjoy it go the Saints.
All the more reason why perhaps some of us feel compelled to balance the nay says with some positivity and optimism.

Latest posts