What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some players knew

Glenn

First Grade
Hahaha what a load of sh*t. Evidence my arse.
Fmd, why are the same merkins commenting on anything and everything related to the Storm?

633694505862161710-denial.jpg

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
News Limited spokesman Greg Baxter yesterday told 2GB the company now believed board members and players knew many of the contracts were illegal.

This couldn't be more propagander prior to the court case could it.

As if anyone belives anything written by Phil Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson FFS :roll:

Jumpin Jackass

Juniors
What I mean is as long as no one actually told them they were cheating, the 2nd and 3rd or however many contracts could have said anything. Even though deep down he probably knew what was going on you couldn't really kick a player out of the comp for this, as long as he wasn't officially "in on it" if a player gets handed a boat and just takes it without asking questions he has not really done anything that he can get into too much trouble for.

sretsoor

Juniors
Interesting developments. Whats the bet if players are dergistered/ banned as a result then we may well see them challenege the salary cap itself in court. Could get very messy and change the game.

Cammo

Bench
Just because someone had 2 contracts doesn't mean they definitely knew that it was outside the cap. Who's to say Waldron didn't sit them down at a meeting and say "We have managed to free up a little more money in our Salary Cap so we are offering a better contract than you just signed in reward for your great service to this club"

I am not saying I don't believe the players knew, I don't know either way so don't have a comment on it, but ppl need to be aware that not everything is always as it seems and there are other situations that can have occured. If hard evidence comes out that the players did know, then that throws up even more issues, because that means player managers are involved, and that then means that they are pushing all clubs, not just the Storm.

This couldn't be more propagander prior to the court case could it.

Not half obvious, isn't it? News Ltd releasing information like this with the aim of intimidating the Storm directors out of their legal action. Essentially saying there's lots of dirt and we'll dump more of it out there if you want to keep going.

What I mean is as long as no one actually told them they were cheating, the 2nd and 3rd or however many contracts could have said anything. Even though deep down he probably knew what was going on you couldn't really kick a player out of the comp for this, as long as he wasn't officially "in on it" if a player gets handed a boat and just takes it without asking questions he has not really done anything that he can get into too much trouble for.

Sorry but this does not wash. As long as no one spells out to a simple footballer that they are cheating, its all sweet? Ignorance is bliss but no excuse for 3 contracts held in different locations.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Which reputable newspaper was this is in...oh wait....

:roll:

This. While I despise Melbourne (and the likes of Smith and Slater especially), and I also think it highly unlikely none of the players or the coach had any clue, I struggle to believe anything published in that shameful excuse of a newspaper. Wiping one's arse with it would be giving it better treatment than it deserves.

Sorry but this does not wash. As long as no one spells out to a simple footballer that they are cheating, its all sweet? Ignorance is bliss but no excuse for 3 contracts held in different locations.

BW: "Hey, Cam, sign your contract will you?"
CS: "Sure, no worries"
BW: "and in case we lose it, here's another copy to sign"
CS: "ok"
BW: "and because our filing system has been really sloppy lately, better make a third copy"
CS: "good idea, can't be too careful"

:lol::lol::lol:

This. While I despise Melbourne (and the likes of Smith and Slater especially), and I also think it highly unlikely none of the players or the coach had any clue, I struggle to believe anything published in that shameful excuse of a newspaper. Wiping one's arse with it would be giving it better treatment than it deserves.

But that would make one's arse dirtier than it already was, which kind of defeats the whole point of arse wiping

natheel

Coach
Just because someone had 2 contracts doesn't mean they definitely knew that it was outside the cap. Who's to say Waldron didn't sit them down at a meeting and say "We have managed to free up a little more money in our Salary Cap so we are offering a better contract than you just signed in reward for your great service to this club"

I am not saying I don't believe the players knew, I don't know either way so don't have a comment on it, but ppl need to be aware that not everything is always as it seems and there are other situations that can have occured. If hard evidence comes out that the players did know, then that throws up even more issues, because that means player managers are involved, and that then means that they are pushing all clubs, not just the Storm.

IF this was the case then why would the players have yo sign 2 seperate contracts y couldn't all be on the same one if it was legit

I know if I was given 2 I'd question it myself

dasherhalo

Juniors

Fairly certain if that were the case, one of the Storm players would have said something by now? "Yeah, I had a second contract, but I was told it was all legit - what's the problem?".

The silence is deafening, though.....

Iafeta

Referee
It is also claimed other instances of Storm stars having more than one contract have been uncovered.

It can be revealed 10 Storm stars were due to front accounting firm Deloitte in the past fortnight, but none had appeared.

The club's owner, News Limited, revealed it had found evidence some Storm players almost certainly knew that some of their payments were paid by third parties in ways that would not be counted towards the salary cap.

"We now have evidence that some of the players were aware that some of the arrangements were not appropriate," News spokesman Greg Baxter said.

Mr Baxter said Deloitte, appointed by News to unravel the complex player payments, had attempted to reschedule the meetings, but the players' managers and agents had not co-operated.

"We have tried to interview them repeatedly and it's pretty disappointing they haven't bothered showing up," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27231403-5018866,00.html

Pretty damning if you ask me. If they are innocent like they have claimed, why are they refusing to meet with the investigators? If they refuse to co-operate, they should be deregistered.

_Johnsy

Referee
I cannot believe that this merkin is a stone cold liar, well actually I can he plays for melbourne.

Players not co-operating with investigators after the club via the orchestrated "stand behind the coach cause we all have integrity & we've been wronged" they stated hey would co-operate to show the payers are innocent. Melbourne never have or will ever have any integrity.

Cam/Cameron/Cammy SMITH should never captain his state or country again. How can this merkin stand without a backbone ?

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
It is also claimed other instances of Storm stars having more than one contract have been uncovered.

It can be revealed 10 Storm stars were due to front accounting firm Deloitte in the past fortnight, but none had appeared.

The club's owner, News Limited, revealed it had found evidence some Storm players almost certainly knew that some of their payments were paid by third parties in ways that would not be counted towards the salary cap.

"We now have evidence that some of the players were aware that some of the arrangements were not appropriate," News spokesman Greg Baxter said.

Mr Baxter said Deloitte, appointed by News to unravel the complex player payments, had attempted to reschedule the meetings, but the players' managers and agents had not co-operated.

"We have tried to interview them repeatedly and it's pretty disappointing they haven't bothered showing up," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27231403-5018866,00.html

Pretty damning if you ask me. If they are innocent like they have claimed, why are they refusing to meet with the investigators? If they refuse to co-operate, they should be deregistered.

I bet if they did turn up it'd be in t-shirts, thongs n shorts, too.

Goodbye Storm, you f**kers.

adamkungl

Immortal
How do you penalise this?
Is it the players responsiblity to worry about the cap?
Is the current penalty sufficient? Taking away premierships really is a direct punishment to the players more than the admins.

Iafeta

Referee
I would think deliberately signing multiple contracts would be tantamount to fraud, wouldn't it?

Didgi

Not necessarily. The players would sign a few contracts over the year I would assume. Club sponorships, individual appearances, community and development programs etc.

I think by now it's fairly obvious they had at least an inkling of what was happening, but you can't expect them to know exactly what everything was all for.