What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Reni is wrong, the Dogs are no chance if SBW is out. Even with him they are just barely good enough to maybe sneak a GF appearance if the stars are aligned etc etc

Raider_69

Post Whore
No arguements from me there, tbh i was amazed he had such an influence yesterday, the first time he touched the ball, one of our lads (logan or maybe hinchcliffe) came in hard and low and cut him in 2, and i noted SBW took a few momemnts to collect himself after it too, slow play the ball etc... but after that we stopped doing it, as soon as he touched the ball our defence would go flat footed or worse into retreat...

You cant defend against SBW like that, he will have a field day

ohh please..once he worked out that he was allowed to run vs roosters..(that was his last one before yesterday.).and against canberra where the same thing happened..yer he devastating..but against the gun teams of the comp goes missing...a big game in the semis against the better teams will test him out

Raider_69

Post Whore
to a degree he is right, shutting down SBW is not hard, you get up quick and cut down the time he has, you do that and not only is he not effective he has a tendacy to try to throw a silly mircle ball... Henry knew it, he even went public with it, our boys just didnt want to know about it. As soon as you let SBW dicate terms, you're f**ked.

Garts

Bench
Timmah said:
So explain to me how he went against Manly...?

When you played Manly!!! You were very quick to point out how bad we were and have no chance etc etc, now we are one of the big guns?

Nathan B

Juniors
Talk about clutching at straws...

As a 19-year old in '04 he played a major role in our finals campaign and we wouldn't have won it without him. He also followed that up with a MOM performance against that little-known team called... Australia.

He's done it all before against the best and he'll do it all again. Stop the embarrassment!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Holla if ya hear me said:
ohh please..once he worked out that he was allowed to run vs roosters..(that was his last one before yesterday.).and against canberra where the same thing happened..yer he devastating..but against the gun teams of the comp goes missing...a big game in the semis against the better teams will test him out

?

Played in the semis in 2004 and 2006 and was in peak form both times.

motm against Australia in his 2nd test

I feel a little embarrassed to be replying to a post this stupid tbh

Dogaholic

First Grade
SBW scored me 216 points in my fantasy leage as captain - that after only 57 minutes. Wish he played the full 80!!!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm a cog in the wheel, says Sonny
Jamie Pandaram | August 14, 2007

The Herald's Colonial First State Performer of the Week

It seemed as though the Bulldogs had an unfair advantage against the Raiders: Sonny Bill Williams played like a souped-up high-performance machine against rusty bicycles, leaving the opposition coughing on dust.

Williams's magical 59-minute league lesson has earned him the Herald's Performer of the Week award. He scored three tries, made 131 metres from 17 runs, had three offloads, three line breaks and 21 tackles on Sunday as the Dogs inflicted the second-biggest defeat in Canberra's 25 years with a 52-4 thrashing.

Just how Williams squeezed all of that in less than an hour is a frightening mystery. Yet as with all plaudits thrown his way, the humble 22-year-old Kiwi international yesterday deflected the attention from himself as capably as he avoids a tackle.

"I was happy with how I played but it was just one of those games where everyone in the team played really well," Williams said. "I might have got three tries but that's mainly because the guys around me were able to get me into one-on-one situations with a defender.

"Guys like Chris Armit, Jon Green, Fred Briggs, Corey Hughes and Adam Perry, who played in the second row, hardly ever get a mention but it's a team effort and they all had great games."

But Williams was clearly a level above anybody else on the Telstra Stadium turf; with superior strength, skill and spirit.

Teammates could only shake their heads in amazement as Williams scored the third try of his first NRL hat-trick, running around and through the Raiders defence as though he was playing in an under-10s match.

"What he did in 60 minutes of football is pretty freakish," Dogs lock Reni Maitua said yesterday. "I just can't imagine what it would've been like if he was out there for the full 80 [minutes].

"He is one of our game-breakers, he is a very important part of our team and he's really stood up over the last six weeks with players being out. As a back-rower he still tops the hit-ups, tackles, so coming into the finals he is going to be a big part of our side and we need him to keep doing what he's doing."

Williams is the club's leading try-scorer this season and has an impressive strike rate of 13 from 17 games. He also leads the competition for offloads (56), and with three rounds remaining in the regular season, he has already surpassed his efforts from last year in tries, tackles, line-break assists and try assists.

As is the way with the Bulldogs, however, nobody - including Williams himself - was keen to lay all the credit with one player.

"It's not a one-man team," Maitua said. "There is class all over the park, especially when we've got a full team. We're not a Newcastle without Andrew Johns, we've got a team that can win it."

Captain Andrew Ryan provided a bit of a reality check. "He is a great player," Ryan said. "A side like Canberra, their defence wasn't that good [on Sunday], he sort of picked and chose when he ran and scored tries so it was a pretty good performance. Without being too disrespectful to Canberra, they were pretty ordinary. Their defence … very ordinary."

The infinitely shy Williams even struggled to take compliments from his teammates, Maitua said.

"He is pretty reserved, he's a pretty humble kid," Maitua said. "You try and say 'Congrats' and that and he sort of laughs it off, [and says] 'Thanks bro'.

"He's got a bit of that Kiwi shyness in him, he's just really humble. That's what makes him a better bloke as well. He hasn't got a big head, he doesn't go out there acting like an idiot. He just takes it on board and looks forward to the next week."

As a concerned skipper, Ryan hinted he might also be having a quiet word to Williams about his taking it easy against the Broncos on Friday night, saying: "For me, I'm on the other side of the field so I just want to get the ball to our side, so I was filthy they kept going [Williams's] way."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1186857430307.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Gee he played well on Sunday. It was great watching him play.

Keep up the good work SBW; You're providing excellent entertainment to all RL fans.

Blaze

Juniors
wtf is with people saying he is only good on his day, and that this is his first good performance since the Roosters game?

He is excellent every week.

People seem to have forgotten his performance against the Warriors as well, which was his best performance this year.

eels_fan_01

Bench
At times i do think people get too excited about him.

Heres my opinion anyway, he is one of the best fowards in the game at the moment but he is not one of the greatest fowards of all time as some people go on although he hasn't played that much footy.

Timmah

Staff member
He's played every game this year bar Rounds 2 and 3 this year.

Nathan B

Juniors
Timmah said:
He's played every game this year bar Rounds 2 and 3 this year.

He missed the game after the Test. Eels, I think. But, yeah, he's basically been injury free.

Fingers crossed...

Timmah

Staff member
Ah and he missed Penrith in Round 18-19 whenever it was... and we lost.

kav

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
At times i do think people get too excited about him.

Heres my opinion anyway, he is one of the best fowards in the game at the moment but he is not one of the greatest fowards of all time as some people go on although he hasn't played that much footy.

Although relatively new to the top flight, Sonny Bill shows an extraordinary range of talents and the level headedness needed to excel for many years. On that basis, fans have every right to marvel at his achievements and wonder how much better he can become with more experience.

Kav