What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2007

balmainbenny

Juniors
Vagana
Asotasi
Kidwell
Galavao

Surely, the kiwi connection alone will ensure that Souths stay off the bottom in 2007. These guys have way too much pride to accept souths past failures.

Redback71

First Grade
souths should make the 8 this year for sure, despite there depth they do have more depth this year than several teams going around.

and dont forget about dean widders and jeremy smith:( come back to the eels.

Inferno

Coach
balmainbenny said:
Vagana
Asotasi
Kidwell
Galavao

Surely, the kiwi connection alone will ensure that Souths stay off the bottom in 2007. These guys have way too much pride to accept souths past failures.

Take Vagana off that list, any pride he may have had in success will have been drummed out of him at the Sharks.

Quidgybo

Bench
balmainbenny said:
Vagana
Asotasi
Kidwell
Galavao

I don't know if it will keep them off the bottom but it'll certainly make them competitive again. Remember that over the last few years there have been 14 other very competitive teams, none of whom could really be written off from making the eight or even having a title shot. Souths were the exception. At least with the recruiting they've done, even if they come last again, as long as they pull as much weight as the teams who have run second or third last over the last few years then it'll be a massive improvement for them and the competition at large.

Leigh.

ocko

juniors
souths have looked good on paper before though, remember. I thought they looked pretty good this year, tipped them to finish 9th. How wrong I was...

What's their first string 17 for next year?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont think any of the souths recruits will dramatically change anything.

Asotasi - looks great in the dogs and kiwi packs, which are choc full of stars, he will have to carry some extra weight at souths, might adversely affect his game a little bit.

Widders - on 2005 form, great. 2006, nothing more then an average Benchy. Will not make add much to them imo.

Vaganna - old and past his best, they probably paid overs for him too, is a far cry from the weapon he was in his hay day. I saw him stagnate more Cronulla raids then he initiated over the past 18 months.

Kidwell - will add grunt and abit of aggression but he's not a game breaker, he and Asotasi will make them far more competitive, but they cant carry the pack by themselves.

girvie

Staff member
1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon or Germaine Paulson
5. Shannan Hegarty or Paul Mellor
6. John Sutton
7. Joe Williams or Jeremy Smith
8. Roy Asotasi
9. Stuart Webb
10. Peter Cusack
11. David Kidwell
12. Luke Stuart or Joe Galuvao
13. David Faalogo

14. Scott Geddes
15. Manase Manuokafoa
16. Luke Stuart or Joe Galuvao
17. Dean Widders

i think they will improve, and i dont see them finishing in the bottom 3 positions, my prediction will be that they will finish 10th

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Souths have bought big before to no avail. I shall be serious this time around.

I truly think the problem for the bunnies is they are focussing all their attention on buying a team, a-la late 90's Roosters, and not focussing on the juniors. Once those big names leave, you are left with an under performing team, a-la roosters 2006.

Souths have to put all their attention on developing the juniors. Then you will get your depth, player loyalty and competitiveness back again.

Until then, it will be the same merry go round every season for the rabbits of Buying a heap of big name players, injuries and poor performances from star players, miserable season...start all over again.

I'd even go as far to say that Souths should not look concern themselves with results or big name players for the next 2 seasons. They should blood their juniors, get them in the big time, spend the time and money on them.

You'd be surprised what could happen. Souths have always had plenty of great juniors, but because they were neglected they went to other clubs. They need to put an end to that.

innsaneink

Referee
madunit said:
Souths have bought big before to no avail. I shall be serious this time around.

I truly think the problem for the bunnies is they are focussing all their attention on buying a team, a-la late 90's Roosters, and not focussing on the juniors. Once those big names leave, you are left with an under performing team, a-la roosters 2006.

Souths have to put all their attention on developing the juniors. Then you will get your depth, player loyalty and competitiveness back again.

Until then, it will be the same merry go round every season for the rabbits of Buying a heap of big name players, injuries and poor performances from star players, miserable season...start all over again.

I'd even go as far to say that Souths should not look concern themselves with results or big name players for the next 2 seasons. They should blood their juniors, get them in the big time, spend the time and money on them.

You'd be surprised what could happen. Souths have always had plenty of great juniors, but because they were neglected they went to other clubs. They need to put an end to that.

Theyre not trying to buy a team, theyre buying leaders, you need someone with experience and the old, cool head that will calm the young blokes down when things get lively.
I doubt theyre neglecting their juniors also, quite a few coming thru now such as Sutton, Champion, Manakafoa, Gordon, McPherson, Paulson....and their Ball team has a few pretty good players there too.

You cant be objective unit, when it comes to Souths, no matter how hard you try.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
they are clearly buying big names, how many new leaders does a team need every season?

Quidgybo

Bench
innsaneink said:
Theyre not trying to buy a team, theyre buying leaders, you need someone with experience and the old, cool head that will calm the young blokes down when things get lively.
Exactly. Throwing talented juniors onto the field by themselves is pointless if they've got no one to learn the tricks of the trade from. I think Souths have recurited beautifully for a team trying to build a new culture where losing isn't acceptable. They are never going to be able to compete for current stars like the Benji Marshalls or Gasniers because these guys are so in demand they don't have to or want to go to a club who has a history of losing. It'd damage their carreer. And as I said throwing juniors out there by themselves is like throwing Christians to the Lions (the team and claws and furred covered kind, not the British RL team). They have great intentions but just have never been shown how it works in the big time. But recruiting four of five senior players who have been there and done that, and don't have a long term future career to protect is a great way to kick start the new culture. And they only need be around for couple of years - just long enough to help some of the juniors prepare to take over the responsibility for themselves, and then pass on that knowledge and attitude to the new juniors who replace the retired leaders.

Leigh.

ocko

juniors
they should never have dropped joe williams from being halfback, he is, or at least was, someone they could/could have really built around. Sutton is not bad, but needs to become more consistent.

Would be a bit worried about Kidwell being past his prime

Latest posts