What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Game

jenninga

First Grade
great Summation of game.

It was all ad-lib but effective because of never say die attitude...

Definitely thumbs up for Adam Quinlan... and I thought in latter part of the game when it was looking like golden Point - Vidot's runs were inspirational. Good on him.

I would rather see us play like that and lose... instead of trying to reconstruct what they obviously do so well at training.

Win is a Bonus. Moreso against bunnies.

We look good playing ad lib but like we did last night we need to back up more in each game.

yep, and I reckon it's because Matt Prior was there where he belongs. He goes forward alright, but what you don't see is the damage he inflicts on opposition forwards in defence. That wears them down come the backend of the game.

Does nayone know how many minutes he played? Seemed like a whole game.

Couldn't agree more BFD. The guy puts in everytime he runs out. He has been called upon to play out of position so often. Good to see him back in the middle of the park doing what he does best.

Get JDB to tutor Vidot in the art of defence and he could be anything in the back row. He covers ground so quickly even from a standing start, it takes 3 or 4 guys to put him down and he still has the ability to drag them another 10 meters.

Godz Illa

Coach
He snapped the Burgesses in half a couple of times. A pleasure to watch.

I also want to mention Bronson Harrison. His first game back from injury and he was great, despite dropping one pass with a certain try begging. Played the full 80 (83) and caused some headaches for Souths on that edge, producing 7 offloads. 7's a big number

Minh

First Grade
i'm glad Vidot had a good game as I have been a critic of his at times but with his size and obvious gifts he can be a valuable player with the right coaching. JDB starting to live up to his early potential.

MattYg1

Bench
I think there is more development going on in the club then meets the eye...

JDB, Merrin, Stockwell, Vidot, Frizell, Quinlan, Runciman, Cummins, Hastings, Garvey, Cook, even Rein and King, hell even Prior if he was promised a permanant spot in the middle and could use an offseason to prepare for it 100%...

Price might be doing it inadvertadly but there is a lot of young talent on this team that if we can keep them will be a great young group to grow together.

Especially with players like Dugan, Morris and Nightingale to lead with their talent and experience.

We could be on a downward slope at the moment but after the fall the only way is up and during rebuilding phases you have to position yourself with youth that can grow together.

He snapped the Burgesses in half a couple of times. A pleasure to watch.

I also want to mention Bronson Harrison. His first game back from injury and he was great, despite dropping one pass with a certain try begging. Played the full 80 (83) and caused some headaches for Souths on that edge, producing 7 offloads. 7's a big number

I reckon he played well too first game back. He ran a good line when he dropped that ball. He was over for all money. If we had more guys running lines like that back on the inside at speed I think we would be more effective inside their 20. In my humble opinion.....

Cruisin_Dugan

Juniors
I reckon he played well too first game back. He ran a good line when he dropped that ball. He was over for all money. If we had more guys running lines like that back on the inside at speed I think we would be more effective inside their 20. In my humble opinion.....

enter JOEL THOMPSON 2014!! Thompson on the left - Bronson on the right

He's Up there with best line runners - Him & Aubusson are the best IMO.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
yep, and I reckon it's because Matt Prior was there where he belongs. He goes forward alright, but what you don't see is the damage he inflicts on opposition forwards in defence. That wears them down come the backend of the game.

Does nayone know how many minutes he played? Seemed like a whole game.

Prior had a very good game. Leave him on the bench to play in the guts.

Smurf

Juniors
That was such an exciting game
Also a huge relief
Loved the last 1/2 hour
I know there has been lots of comments but mine are as follows
Vidot - should be in the 17 - he is a meter eater
Fritz , JDB and Harrison are good - add in Joel 2014 and one other mungrel and we are looking good
Fein tries hard
We have a very very good back three
Chase is a solid centre - never go back to 5/8
Quinlin reminds me of terry lamb - he bobs up everywhere
Dan hunt ( I know he didn't play but can we sell him to super league)
Matt Cooper - a fit Matt Cooper is vey good
The best thing about last night is that it gives us hope for 2014
Which is great news
With regards to this year - if we could come 8th - I would be dancing in the street

TheRev

First Grade
For me the change in mentality was when the season was trashed and Runciman debut'd and looked half-decent.. Price seemed to finally click that maybe he doesnt need to be so scared to rely on fresh blood.. he doesnt need to follow the Bennett philosophy of playing experienced dinosaurs.

Now the floodgates are opening (all be it forced by injury), Vidot finally to 2nd row, with Quinlan and now possibly Hastings getting starts for the Cutters halves, Garvey is in the mix for 1st grade & cutters, this is all the opposite of Price's previous approach to junior development & playing blokes in positions that obviously dont suit their skillset...and I pray to god that he (and Mary) have learnt a lesson from this season and wont be so slow to make blindingly obvious changes in the future & take some gambles on youth...

I have no doubt that the kids will lose us games with inexperience, but they are also our future and id much rather watch them learn and grow than us try to pretend were still in 2010.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think Fien copes too much flak. He's simply following the plan that Price has given him.

He only has one attacking set play; it just baffles my mind that after 2 years he still can't see it doesn't work, as it was evident 10 rounds into 2012. All the opposition defence has to do is slide, the inside just has to line up the decoy runner, & the outside backs jam up on Dugan. Has it worked once this season. I can only recall it working twice in 2012.

The only credit I'll give him is finally picking Quinlan. Full credit has to go to the boys (I winced writing that), we won through their instinct, & desire to win.

Godz Illa

Coach
Fien also produced the grubber/six again that led to the Quinlan try, and laid on the Morris winner at the end. He's a solid player doing the best he can, and we need his experience. You're going to get some dog shit along the way (Roosters game) but we need to accept the good with the bad. Last night we got some good.