What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Game

GKJ79

Juniors
Awesome win tonight.

If theres one player who deserved to go out a winner on his 150th its Nightingale. Tries his guts out every week. Congrats Jason.

And to win it in golden point against souffs even sweeter.

MattYg1

Bench
yeah, that's the "anti" game-plan.

I say make it the game-plan and cut away all the criticism.

See what happens. :cool:

I believe a certain relaxed former coach of us, parra, Newcastle and the chooks suggested such an anti gameplan earlier in the week... And it's a good call.

I have had an issue with the NRL this year and in fact for the past few years really... It seems like the majority of coaches have this idea that they must coach their teams to play tough grinding football and play the percentages to win games, and don't necessarily coach the talent they have infront of them.

That's what I've seen from Price, he is in this trap where he wants to replicate what Bennett did for us but doesn't realize it's like the owner of a local McDonalds trying to get his 15 year old staff to use business strategies used by Donald Trumps employees. Last night was a great example of letting the young kids have a go. Duges lead the charge and the rest followed and they just played footy, it was refreshing.

Seeing Morris getting space again was brilliant.

Nighty searching for the ball in field is a must, the guy is a superb winger no doubt but he needs to search for the action more because he is to much a wild card to just stay on his wing.

Vidot needs to be in our 17... Bench second rower with Runciman coming back in for Coops... His runs are just to devastating for us to not have him in the team. To good for the Cutters.

Quinlin... Poise and professionalism... He just didnt seem phased of even caught up in the emotions of the game, he just played his natural game and looked dangerous and like he should be there. Such a shame he is so slight, I wonder where he would be already if he was a bit bigger. Never the less he is first grade footballer no doubt about it.

I tell ya who did have a blinder, Matt Prior. I can't stand the heat he gets around here, when he plays in the middle I don't think he disappoints. I wish Price and everybody else (coaching staff and media even) would drop this tag of him being a great utility player, he is a front rower and a pretty good one to have coming off the bench. I'm still in shock at his support play, dummy and offload for the Quinlin try lol.

It wasn't our greatest performance hell it wasn't Souths either, but coming from the position we are in and the way we've been playing that was great. And I hope Price sees it as a building block, let the kids play. I swear if he chops and changes the team next week and there is no Vidot, or Quinlin or he names Prior in the centers as opposed to Runciman I won't watch another game all year because it will prove that Price knows nothing at all.

Sorry bout the length of this post and any iPhone and early morning spelling mistakes it may contain love you all dragons fans and f**k our position on the ladder I can't stop smiling as my train is about to come up on Redfern station.

Red V is in me.

Puff

First Grade
Does that put the Sutton for Origin myth to bed. Seeing he isn't dominant when Inglis isn't the number one option.

TheMightyRedV

Juniors
Vidot was great - he can definitely pack a punch up the middle and he can play a role like SBW does at the roosters running through the middle and on the fringes busting the defence. Always requires a minimum of 2-3 players to bring this beast down so let's keep him in this position and get the most out of him.

The failure to find touch was seriously frustrating to watch. But to see the dragons wanting to win the game more than the rabbitohs made that frustration go away. If we can get rid of the stupid penalties and simple errors, we can really build on this win! The knock on call against Rein late in the second half was an absolute load of BS too.

I tell ya who did have a blinder, Matt Prior. I can't stand the heat he gets around here, when he plays in the middle I don't think he disappoints. I wish Price and everybody else (coaching staff and media even) would drop this tag of him being a great utility player, he is a front rower and a pretty good one to have coming off the bench. I'm still in shock at his support play, dummy and offload for the Quinlin try lol.

Red V is in me.

I completely agree. Prior IS A FRONT ROWER. And a damaging one at that. He looks strong and in his element there.

Think the whole 'utility' thing is an error and a bad habit in selection in anything other than front row.

Just watched it again. Great game.

Mr Red

First Grade
You missed a goodun' Red.

We started well but couldn't get across the line, some bad luck, some just poor 'execution' - the typical stuff close the line. After having our chances, we conceded two tries. It was 12-0 but you know, we were still hanging in there.

The big problem is in the forwards. We are a backs coached side. We did well out wide but only really came back when the backs started taking on the Souths forwards. ie, the likes of Morris, Nightingale running straight and stepping. Souths have a great pack, but were found a little wanting when our more mobile players were running just wide of the ruck. That's not to say the forwards were totally useless, just that they needed some help.

We didn't go for a penalty goal when 6-0 down. Right in front, early in the game. Would have been 6-2 and probably no extra time would have been had.

At 12-0, Souths were playing like they'd won the game. They had every reason to think so, our defence was too often standing flat footed. Souths turned on the pace out wide, started throwing the ball around, line breaks and quite frankly it was starting to look like the beginnings of a carve up. But the scrambling was good good enough, it resulted in handling errors from Souths and we found that we were still hanging in there.

Then we came back.

55 minutes and we were still zero on the scoreboard. We hadn't scored a point in first grade for an eternity.

But we scored. It was 12-6 with 20 minutes to go.

But then Souths scored and I suspect most people had written us off by then. Souths leading 18-6 and 15 minutes to go against a team that was having trouble finding the goal line. Yeah, that should have been the match.

But we lifted a gear and Souths were not able to go with us. Two tries in 4 minutes.

18-all and how many field goal attempts? Four or five, Fien, Dugan and Stanley all missed (Soward would have nailed 3 of them). But we got them in extra time, and not through some pissy field goal. Dugan had the shot, defence came up too quick so he ran it, there was an overlap, Morris was there and the rest is on the scoreboard.

Merrin and Prior lifted late in the game and may have been the difference.

Quinlan at five eighth was very good imo. Runs at the line, has a passing game, backs up, wears the bruises... but we knew that before kick off. Has a kicking game as well. And scored a try. Double thumbs up should be coming his way.

Concerns for Cooper, landed on his hand with arm out stretched perpendicular to the ground and jolted his shoulder, lucky not to dislocate. Replaced by Vidot who did well late in the match. Cooper played well up until then and found Morris inside a few times.

Other people in the pub were cheering for St George.

And I tipped us to win despite the hecklers, who all seem to disappear at full time.

good summation, thanks. i caught the highllights this morning, and from what i could see Dugan and Merrin were standouts - no surprises there.
Quinlan added spark in the halves and Vidot offered impact off the bench in the forwards - two choices most in the forum have been asking for for several weeks...

BennyV

Referee
- For me, the main issue in our team is Fien; fairly obvious statement but it was proven again last night. He is just so damn easy to read...when he is going for that inside pass, he turns his body and holds the ball up so the defense know what he is going to do. When he goes for the sweep play, he doesnt even look like he could run himself or hit the front man...and when he hits the front man, he doesnt put any doubt in the defenders mind. Love his effort and he steers the team around well, but we need another halfback option...OR he needs to GTFO of all 3rd/4th tackle plays. I would love to see what Stanley and Harrison could do running off a decent half with defense in two minds.

- Still have no idea what to do in the opp. 20, we are running plays we should be running from 40 out and it doesnt work with the defense in front. Thing that annoyed me is that when we spread it wide, we then bring it back to the middle with a simple hit up...why not try to punch through in that hit up, have a powerful forward running into a gap? Frustrating to the max! At least the anti-game plan worked to an extent...

- God bless The Dugan.

- Quinlan looked great in the 6...still has a bit of work to do, probably needs to get more involved, but that jersey should be his for the rest of the year, looks dangerous with the ball and backs up well.

- Good to see Creagh playing prop, Merrin running like a prop and Vidot running in the forwards! Hopefully we get one of them into the front row, Friz in the backrow and Vidot off the bench. All the forwards aimed up well against a very big pack. Chase Stanley also looked good apart from dropping that dropout...again, would benefit more from a better halfback.

- I miss Coops

- My favourite plays happen when Dugan, Quinlan, Morris and Nightingale all get involved up the middle; happened once or twice in the second half and was great. Methinks 4th tackle option should just be to give it to one of them, send them all forward and see what happens!!!

End

jenninga

First Grade
i was unable to see the game, but relieved we got a win..
can someone please provide a match summary?

my friend who was at the game said there were lots of errors and dropped ball from both sides, is this correct?

any summary would be helpful..

Very happy for the team,they have put in all season sometimes without luck,poor play,ill discipline but never throw in the towel.Our back 3 superb,Fien gutsy,Quinlan steady and a special mention to Prior and Vidot when he replaced poor old Coops.
Chase's goal kicking albeit fairly easy kept us in the game,Rein playing the 80 min was good.
They didn't have Inglis,so what ,they are on top and we beat them .

We won the battle in the forwards. Against the biggest pack in the league. Huge effort

yep, and I reckon it's because Matt Prior was there where he belongs. He goes forward alright, but what you don't see is the damage he inflicts on opposition forwards in defence. That wears them down come the backend of the game.

Does nayone know how many minutes he played? Seemed like a whole game.

jenninga

First Grade
Thought Vidot had a fair dig there at the end and gave a glimpse of how damaging he could be in the backrow if he gets in the right head space. He made impressive meters in the middle of the park. Dugan was all heart constantly lifting the team. Thought all the forwards played well including the maligned Prior......
Vidot was great,however his defence is ordinary,when Luke made inroads late in the game Vidot missed him and this is a problem for him.Glad you mentioned Prior,he was great.

big pat

Coach
We won the battle in the forwards. Against the biggest pack in the league. Huge effort

it was a great effort, could have given up at 18-6, but they didn't, not mant many wins, but will enjoy that one for a few days at least.

Latest posts