What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Game

64 Dragon

Coach
I prefer a soy caramel flat white.

And girls.

I'm patting you guys on the back. I enjoyed the game.
I don't mind the red V (I'm over 2010 .... Morris was out so we won anyway :p)

Couldn't help yourself. And you still didn't win.

Good win ya bunch of merkins. Wanted it much more than we did tonight. The Dugan carved us a new one. Good luck for the rest of the year. Hope that games the catalyst for you to make a late run to the finals and we meet again.

You missed a goodun' Red.

We started well but couldn't get across the line, some bad luck, some just poor 'execution' - the typical stuff close the line. After having our chances, we conceded two tries. It was 12-0 but you know, we were still hanging in there.

The big problem is in the forwards. We are a backs coached side. We did well out wide but only really came back when the backs started taking on the Souths forwards. ie, the likes of Morris, Nightingale running straight and stepping. Souths have a great pack, but were found a little wanting when our more mobile players were running just wide of the ruck. That's not to say the forwards were totally useless, just that they needed some help.

We didn't go for a penalty goal when 6-0 down. Right in front, early in the game. Would have been 6-2 and probably no extra time would have been had.

At 12-0, Souths were playing like they'd won the game. They had every reason to think so, our defence was too often standing flat footed. Souths turned on the pace out wide, started throwing the ball around, line breaks and quite frankly it was starting to look like the beginnings of a carve up. But the scrambling was good good enough, it resulted in handling errors from Souths and we found that we were still hanging in there.

Then we came back.

55 minutes and we were still zero on the scoreboard. We hadn't scored a point in first grade for an eternity.

But we scored. It was 12-6 with 20 minutes to go.

But then Souths scored and I suspect most people had written us off by then. Souths leading 18-6 and 15 minutes to go against a team that was having trouble finding the goal line. Yeah, that should have been the match.

But we lifted a gear and Souths were not able to go with us. Two tries in 4 minutes.

18-all and how many field goal attempts? Four or five, Fien, Dugan and Stanley all missed (Soward would have nailed 3 of them). But we got them in extra time, and not through some pissy field goal. Dugan had the shot, defence came up too quick so he ran it, there was an overlap, Morris was there and the rest is on the scoreboard.

Merrin and Prior lifted late in the game and may have been the difference.

Quinlan at five eighth was very good imo. Runs at the line, has a passing game, backs up, wears the bruises... but we knew that before kick off. Has a kicking game as well. And scored a try. Double thumbs up should be coming his way.

Concerns for Cooper, landed on his hand with arm out stretched perpendicular to the ground and jolted his shoulder, lucky not to dislocate. Replaced by Vidot who did well late in the match. Cooper played well up until then and found Morris inside a few times.

Other people in the pub were cheering for St George.

And I tipped us to win despite the hecklers, who all seem to disappear at full time.

great Summation of game.

It was all ad-lib but effective because of never say die attitude...

Definitely thumbs up for Adam Quinlan... and I thought in latter part of the game when it was looking like golden Point - Vidot's runs were inspirational. Good on him.

I would rather see us play like that and lose... instead of trying to reconstruct what they obviously do so well at training.

Win is a Bonus. Moreso against bunnies.

Minh

First Grade
We beat the top placed team in the comp, does that suddenly make us premiership heavyweights now.:crazy:

the big test is to follow up that performance against the Raiders

man... I'm Feeling really good about that game. They can do it.

This is sooo the right game to have won. If all the talk is about low confidence, this one really takes care of that. Indeed the one (and maybe only) element of their game that is working ...effort.

And to be fair Steve Price has maintained this.

evil_p091280

Juniors
Man Vidot was good.

Looks like he has put another 5kg of beef on what was already a solid frame.

Start him at 4 if Coops is out.

(Poor coops, was having a blinder.)

....Seriously, I think the best thing to come out of tonight's win, is avoiding the wooden spoon. With a 6pt break, getting it is highly unlikely now.

Little steps.

Fingerbang

Bench
I think Vidot played himself into the team for the rest of the year tonight, brutal in attack.

But, Jack De Belin really came of age tonight....he was a beast in both attack and defence. He looked like he was really hurting the Bunnies as he was lifting and driving them into the turf (legally).

TheRev

First Grade
o Great to see Chase back to centre, Quinlan has a long way to go to develop a total game at 5/8 (crisper passing mostly), but he is a massive threat when he has ball in hand, and we can & should work with him in that position for 2013 (especially with Harrys injury).

o Backing up: If we had another player like Quinlan backing up we would be lethal, so many try scoring opportunities open up with someone constantly trailing Merrin/Creagh and co, the forwards just arent used to having someone actually available for an offload at pace.

o Still struggling to score points (40 or 50 tackles I think it was in their 20), I mean we will always lose more than we win if we cant convert, but I believe there is some potential if we could keep that 1/3/4/6 fit and have a bit of fun with the football.

o Really wish Rein would stop giving such hospital service, and in general really short passes are not getting caught, at least 1 try per game goes begging.

o Dugan is a god.. especially considering how tired he must be from Origin

o Vidot pretty much showed what we have asked for since he joined the team.. either muscle up as a 2nd rower or gtfo.. and he was a lot of fun to have charging big lines tonight, whether he has the workload to push out our current 1st grade forwards I dont know, but the recent move to Cutters 2nd row is something that should be continued... and although given the situation you can understand why he might fill in at wing or centre, the way he got wtf burned at centre tonight was a reminder that hes not meant to be in a position where he needs to turn fast or have agile ball skills.

o Super Dooper Cooper, hjis presence is so missed.. its the whole package, the D, the way he covers the touchline to prevent his winger going into touch.. he had strong powerful carries from dummy half (granted the defence wasnt coming up too quick), but anyway im gonna miss him next year, I hope the shoulder injury isnt too serious.

Overall I put the win back to a spirited & desperate Dragons outfit who is starting to get the right bodies in the right positions, experimentation in the Cutters & 1st grade spot is paying off, and its all the difference.. I mean its months too late and its unforgivable, but maybe Price & Mary learn something from the experience they are having with Runciman/Quinlan/Vidot & hopefully Garvey/Hastings/Cummins within 12 mths.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
I think Vidot played himself into the team for the rest of the year tonight, brutal in attack.

If Price doesn't name him on the bench for the rest of the year then he has learned nothing from last night.

Vidot pretty much showed what we have asked for since he joined the team.. either muscle up as a 2nd rower or gtfo.. and he was a lot of fun to have charging big lines tonight, whether he has the workload to push out our current 1st grade forwards I dont know, but the recent move to Cutters 2nd row is something that should be continued... and although given the situation you can understand why he might fill in at wing or centre, the way he got wtf burned at centre tonight was a reminder that hes not meant to be in a position where he needs to turn fast or have agile ball skills.

Agree, keep him away from the centres if possible because he did get burned fairly easily at centre. But Price & Co should have worked this out months ago. There is just something about Vidot that screams points are coming when he is on the attack on the fringe of the ruck.