What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Game

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Plenty of ad-lib stuff and lots of errors but you can't fault the enthusiasm of most of the players and that got us over the line in the end.

Thought Quinlan was great and Vidot played with plenty of heart. But for someone who was targeted and shut down by Souffs so often Doogs had a blinder. If he didn't already have someone doing it I'd offer to have his baby!

tumbidragon

First Grade
Yeah, Vidot was massive playing up the middle. Runciman to 4 and Vidot in the 2nd row rotation next week please?

Thought Vidot had a fair dig there at the end and gave a glimpse of how damaging he could be in the backrow if he gets in the right head space. He made impressive meters in the middle of the park. Dugan was all heart constantly lifting the team. Thought all the forwards played well including the maligned Prior......

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Now I know it is only one game, but it shits me that so many of us have been calling for someone like Quinlan to be tried in 5/8 and for Vidot to come off the bench as an impact player up the middle or on the fringe.

Now I know that Souffs weren't at their best but they are the top bloody team and we pulled their pants down with a few sensible tweaks to the team that should have happened ages ago.

Now I know it is only one game, but it shits me that so many of us have been calling for someone like Quinlan to be tried in 5/8 and for Vidot to come off the bench as an impact player up the middle or on the fringe.

Now I know that Souffs weren't at their best but they are the top bloody team and we pulled their pants down with a few sensible tweaks to the team that should have happened ages ago.

I agree - well said.

Why does it take so Long ?

Maybe the Robot Coach has finally acquired some extra RAM

Bring on the Raiders I say.
We could go back to back ....wins.
that's right Dragons fans, two wins ....IN A ROW!!!

Is there enough pant out there to pull down? ...I don't think so!

GO SAINTS : ))))

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i was unable to see the game, but relieved we got a win..
can someone please provide a match summary?

my friend who was at the game said there were lots of errors and dropped ball from both sides, is this correct?

any summary would be helpful..
You missed a goodun' Red.

We started well but couldn't get across the line, some bad luck, some just poor 'execution' - the typical stuff close the line. After having our chances, we conceded two tries. It was 12-0 but you know, we were still hanging in there.

The big problem is in the forwards. We are a backs coached side. We did well out wide but only really came back when the backs started taking on the Souths forwards. ie, the likes of Morris, Nightingale running straight and stepping. Souths have a great pack, but were found a little wanting when our more mobile players were running just wide of the ruck. That's not to say the forwards were totally useless, just that they needed some help.

We didn't go for a penalty goal when 6-0 down. Right in front, early in the game. Would have been 6-2 and probably no extra time would have been had.

At 12-0, Souths were playing like they'd won the game. They had every reason to think so, our defence was too often standing flat footed. Souths turned on the pace out wide, started throwing the ball around, line breaks and quite frankly it was starting to look like the beginnings of a carve up. But the scrambling was good good enough, it resulted in handling errors from Souths and we found that we were still hanging in there.

Then we came back.

55 minutes and we were still zero on the scoreboard. We hadn't scored a point in first grade for an eternity.

But we scored. It was 12-6 with 20 minutes to go.

But then Souths scored and I suspect most people had written us off by then. Souths leading 18-6 and 15 minutes to go against a team that was having trouble finding the goal line. Yeah, that should have been the match.

But we lifted a gear and Souths were not able to go with us. Two tries in 4 minutes.

18-all and how many field goal attempts? Four or five, Fien, Dugan and Stanley all missed (Soward would have nailed 3 of them). But we got them in extra time, and not through some pissy field goal. Dugan had the shot, defence came up too quick so he ran it, there was an overlap, Morris was there and the rest is on the scoreboard.

Merrin and Prior lifted late in the game and may have been the difference.

Quinlan at five eighth was very good imo. Runs at the line, has a passing game, backs up, wears the bruises... but we knew that before kick off. Has a kicking game as well. And scored a try. Double thumbs up should be coming his way.

Concerns for Cooper, landed on his hand with arm out stretched perpendicular to the ground and jolted his shoulder, lucky not to dislocate. Replaced by Vidot who did well late in the match. Cooper played well up until then and found Morris inside a few times.

Other people in the pub were cheering for St George.

And I tipped us to win despite the hecklers, who all seem to disappear at full time.

kit66

Bench
Quinlan is the best support player we've had at the club since Blacklock, I'm really happy he had a good game.
The only reason we won that game is because towards we end the boys got desperate, stopped playing their coach's game and started playing what was in front of them. I'm sick of the stupid plays we keep putting on all the time, it's like bloody amateur night.

Latest posts