What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souths please sign james roberts

alien

Referee
I don't know if its already been mentioned but who are the Rabbitohs going to let go to fit James Roberts into the salary cap, after the problems of fitting Sam Burgess into the salary cap?

there wasn't really a problem. the nrl integrity unit just had to look into his tpa

Pommy

Coach
I don't know if its already been mentioned but who are the Rabbitohs going to let go to fit James Roberts into the salary cap, after the problems of fitting Sam Burgess into the salary cap?

It's not really known if there was an issue. It seems unlikely the club would have tried to register him knowing they were over the cap before they sold McQueen. A more likely scenario is that as mentioned the NRL were going through all the TPAs with a fine tooth comb.
There's also talk of Grant leaving if Roberts signs.

doyen

Bench
It's not really known if there was an issue. It seems unlikely the club would have tried to register him knowing they were over the cap before they sold McQueen. A more likely scenario is that as mentioned the NRL were going through all the TPAs with a fine tooth comb.
There's also talk of Grant leaving if Roberts signs.

What if Grant digs his heals in & refuses to go--he was signed to a 4 yr deal from memory??!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Rumoured Tim Grant could leave. Souths may not need to release anyone though. We've let a lot of players go.

It was TPA's being confirmed that were holding back Sam's deal.

Pommy

Coach
What if Grant digs his heals in & refuses to go--he was signed to a 4 yr deal from memory??!

Why would he? Its not a good career move if a coach and club don't want you and there are other suitors about its time to move on.
The case with Robbie Farah was totally different as he is a one club player who was given a contract to see his time out with the club. A contract which was massively backended to help Tigers out at the time.
Grant would have no such moral high ground or good favour with the fans after a single season in the colours. Plus we would probably be paying a bit of his wage so I'm sure another team would come in for him.

doyen

Bench
Why would he? Its not a good career move if a coach and club don't want you and there are other suitors about its time to move on.
The case with Robbie Farah was totally different as he is a one club player who was given a contract to see his time out with the club. A contract which was massively backended to help Tigers out at the time.
Grant would have no such moral high ground or good favour with the fans after a single season in the colours. Plus we would probably be paying a bit of his wage so I'm sure another team would come in for him.

He is 28 yrs in Feb.

His day in the sun is well & truly over.

I'd reckon he's signed for 4 yrs on a fairly lucrative deal.

He'll get his dosh even if he's going through the motions in NSW Cup!

A highly paid back-up player.
Who would you rather play for--Sths or the Tigers??

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
He is 28 yrs in Feb.

His day in the sun is well & truly over.

I'd reckon he's signed for 4 yrs on a fairly lucrative deal.

He'll get his dosh even if he's going through the motions in NSW Cup!

A highly paid back-up player.
Who would you rather play for--Sths or the Tigers??

Depends if he takes a pay cut, we would have to pay some money out so tigers may make up the rest and he could be no worse off and playing Rugby week in week out.
It all depends. If I had a short career I'm not sure I would want to waste it for a bit more cash when I was already being paid well.

Pommy

Coach
Apparently James Roberts has just started to like Brisbane Broncos on Instagram
Thats not a good sign guys

That could be nothing or even him just having a giggle to see if it is picked up in the media. Or it could be that he is signing for them, i wouldn't read a great deal in to it yet.

alien

Referee
The Tigers on the other hand.... Cough cough:lol:

yeah but not just the lack of tpas, but also bad salary cap management by having too many back ended contracts and over paying too many players (like moses and brooks)

Latest posts