What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward goes but Thompson comes

Saintsified

Bench
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1439488/soward-goes-but-thompson-comes/?cs=302

CRONULLA coach Shane Flanagan is confident of inking Todd Carney to a new deal in the next 48 hours, ruling out the former Dally M medallist as a direct replacement for Penrith-bound Jamie Soward at the Dragons.

See your ad here
But the Dragons have got at least one of their men, with the club set to announce as early as Thursday that Joel Thompson has agreed to a three-year, $1.3 million deal.

The Panthers announced on Wednesday they had signed former State Of Origin five-eighth Soward to a four-year deal from next season.

It sharpened the Dragons’ focus on luring a star playmaker to the club, with Carney reported to be high on St George Illawarra’s recruitment drive.

But Flanagan told the Mercury Soward’s exit wouldn’t necessitate a need to fast-track negotiations with Carney to ward off the Dragons, who he claimed were always planning to cut loose their premiership-winning five-eighth.

‘‘It hasn’t changed our approach and we’re confident we’ll get something done in the next couple of days,’’ Flanagan said in regards to keeping Carney in the Shire. ‘‘We’re not making any further comment than that.’’

Soward’s exit could be tempered with the news versatile Canberra back-rower Thompson, a one-time Indigenous All-Star team-mate of Soward, will link with the Red V.

The Mercury understands the 24-year-old is set to accept the deal which to head to Wollongong, a deal that was far in excess of what the Raiders could offer.

St George Illawarra’s hunt for a long-term playmaker has also centred on former Dragon Rangi Chase, who won English Super League’s 2011 Man Of Steel Award, and promising Canberra half Sam Williams.

The Mercury revealed earlier this month that Dragons coach Steve Price phoned Raiders mentor David Furner directly in February to discuss the prospect of Williams moving to Wollongong this season.

The Country Origin representative’s future in the nation’s capital remains clouded after the return of skipper Terry Campese from two injury-riddled seasons.

Soward’s long-term future is far from that though, with the 28-year-old announcing his shock deal with the Panthers.

It is understood Soward met with Panthers coach Ivan Cleary and general manager Phil Gould last week to nut out the deal.

‘‘This was definitely a big decision for me as I love the Dragons but as I have always said, I needed to make a decision about what was in the best interests for me and my future,’’ Soward said.

‘‘I am absolutely committed to the Dragons, my coach and team-mates for the remainder of this season and and will enjoy every minute of the rest of the year.’’

Gould described Soward as a ‘‘marquee signing’’ for the Panthers.

‘‘He is a tremendous talent, proven at the highest levels of our game,’’ he said. ‘‘He also brings with him great experience and leadership qualities.’’

Soward is the Dragons’ all-time leading pointscorer and has made 134 appearances for the club since his mid-season switch from the Roosters in 2007.

See your ad here
He will assume the playmaking duties at Penrith, desperately trying to mould a young roster after shedding several high earners over the past two seasons.

Dragons boss Peter Doust said a cashed-up St George Illawarra were on the verge of bolstering their 2014 ranks.

‘‘As has been speculated for some time, we are in a strong position regarding recruitment but we have never been interested in speculating,’’ he said. ‘‘When we have a number of matters finalised we will communicate appropriately.’’

The illawarra 'mockery' is the same publication that ran a full back page photo of Ben Creaghs body with Luke Lewis' head superimposed onto it. Will believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
@joel_thompson12
Just want to let you all know I haven't signed any deal.. Me and my beautiful family will have the decision tomorrow latest

Funny the Dragons aren't negotiating with players till the coach is sorted out yet players are signing hmm another shit article from the mercury.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
so are we the st George Illawarra raiders or the Canberra dragons now?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'd be as hard as a 13 year old boy looking at the Best and Less underwear catalog if we get Thompson.

The boy is a f**king axe. BOOM!

We don't need too much in the way of recruitment. Just a half. IF J Moz did come home on top of that & with Quinlan (who I have NO doubt will be an NRL player long term) & Cummins coming on, we'd be looking good IMO.

ANyway, its 2013, the boys and coach are going as well as they can and I reckon we can match teh Chooks on ANZAC Day. Its our f**king day after all. We own it.

Lets do it again.

Enough of the f**king whinging going on in here already. f**k me.

BOOYAHHHHH!

Last edited:

DirtyHarry

Juniors
We are really starting to look like a second rate club! F#ck Doust!

What??

Thompson is a good signing in my opinion (if we get him that is). Lost Scott at the end of last year & almost certainly Cooper at the end of this year. If we are going to sign established players who cares where they come from.

Mr Red

First Grade
if true nearly 440k a season for a guy who isnt a rep player??? really dragons???
he couldnt even make the team for the city V country match...

nrlnrl

First Grade
a mate of mine knows someone at the Raiders & told me there's a press conference this morning to announce 2 player re-signings ( I get the feeling Joel Thompson will be one )

CC_Saint

Juniors
I'd be happy with the Thompson signing.

I'd also like to see another nut crunching prop sign.

As for Sowie, good luck and let's hope he goes out a premiership champion.

Mr Red

First Grade
Joel Thompson's a very good signing. Pleasantly surprised by this one.

agree he has some ability but do you rate him at 440k a season? especially since this is 90k a season more then what we let Beau Scott leave for?

Latest posts