What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed

elyod138

Bench
Inglis

It was awesome watching him in the QLD cup chase players down if they made a break (which happened a lot with the sometimes flimsy defense).

Bazal

Post Whore
There'd be a few you'd have trouble catching. I think line breaks can be deceptive because the chasers have to turn and then get up to speed, whereas the ball carrier just has to go for it. I'd have these ten guys right up there (I;m using regular first graders, so guys like Uate or Bott who would be there aren't for that reason). No order BTW, just the order I think of them.

Jarryd Hayne
Eric Grothe
John Williams
Nathan Merritt
Brett Stewart
Chris Hicks
Greg Inglis
J Morris
Jennings
Crockett

sooperdooper

First Grade
its hard to judge who is the quickest until they line up for a 100m sprint...
using game situations isnt the best judge, some could be fatigued after heavy workload etc

but i would bet if you got the fastest from each club in a race from 1st to last there wouldnt be to much distance between them

badav

Bench
Im surprised that not many people rate tate. I can think of atleast 3 tries where he has beaten half of a backline or more, over long distances (50 - 80 metres). I would suggest that says he has a bit of go over 100 metres.

It will be interesting to see if he still has that pace once his knee is rehab'd.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Bazal said:
There'd be a few you'd have trouble catching. I think line breaks can be deceptive because the chasers have to turn and then get up to speed, whereas the ball carrier just has to go for it. I'd have these ten guys right up there (I;m using regular first graders, so guys like Uate or Bott who would be there aren't for that reason). No order BTW, just the order I think of them.

Jarryd Hayne
Eric Grothe
John Williams
Nathan Merritt
Brett Stewart
Chris Hicks
Greg Inglis
J Morris
Jennings
Crockett

Chris Lawrence belongs in this group. Already outsped Morris on Mothers day.

fat_mike

Juniors
mini used to be super quick. could be the chook bias in me but.

definitely bowen, inglis and merritt.

kay

Juniors
without taking into account things that have occurred in games as there are so many variables to take into account such as not having stop starts when running with a ball. I'd have to go with times I've heard of over 100m. So players who've actually played NRL and are still there abouts, Leon Bott 10.8 and Brett Stewart who possibly has run 10.75, not sure but anyway a coach/trainer in Manly who used to be a sprinter said that he could probably run an a-qualifier for athletics. but then again that's only probably.

Big Pete

Referee
For the Broncos, Denan Kemp is the fastest over 100m apparantly much faster than Bott who was a dynamo on the track. As for Tate, he'd be up there IMO, that's why I always rate him, with space he can do almost anything with his speed, I'll never forget his try in Origin 3 2006 or the first Tri Nations match 2005...someone look that try up...starts at his own 20 metre line and he runs around the kiwi side before scoring...just brilliant.

As for other clubs, Inglis right up there and I rate Benji too.

kay

Juniors
Big Pete said:
For the Broncos, Denan Kemp is the fastest over 100m apparantly much faster than Bott who was a dynamo on the track.
wow that was a surprise, I knew Denan had beaten him in 40m time trials but over 100m didn't really know so I guess Denan is right up there, Pete.

Hutty1986

Immortal
mepelthwack said:
Chris Lawrence belongs in this group. Already outsped Morris on Mothers day.

Lawrence is lightning, but its debatable whether or not he's quicker than either Morris.. they are pretty f*ckin swift

_Johnsy

Referee
why not get the quickest 3 from each club not in the gf, run 3 races, and have a final, great pre-game entertainment.

Dazzat

First Grade
Fraser Anderson was supposedly breaking short distance records when he was with the Broncos. Greg Inglis would have to be in the top five.

Juniors
greg inglis, but only if someone is chasing him, in general play he doesnt really cut loose but if he makes a clean break, i dont care who's in pursuit, in a foot race to the line inglis will always win

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah Fraser was breaking records but then Denan Kemp broke those.

Before Kemp was Tate who was our fastest if I recall.

Mr Saab

Referee
_Johnsy said:
why not get the quickest 3 from each club not in the gf, run 3 races, and have a final, great pre-game entertainment.

Because the NRL would much rather have Australian rejects...i mean Idol performing.