What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones

I haven't seen too much of Johnson, but I really don't think Locke is ready for first grade. He's constantly getting injured (and often quite seriously so) in the juniors, what do you think is going to happen to him playing in the NRL? The guy is incredibly talented, but he needs to be held back from the NRL until his body is ready and not just his skillset.

I like Iafeta's idea of giving Hohaia a bit more time in the halves and seeing how that goes. He seems to have matured a bit as a player and with Moon at center and either Jones or Fein beside him he'll have someone else capable of taking charge of kicking and more organisational play. But he definitely offers more X-Factor and individual brilliance than our other options in the position.

Micistm

Bench
Well, for better or worse the teams out now for this week-No doubt this will continue after the game.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in regard to Warriors plans for the halves, maybe there's a plan there somewhere and I hope those young guys will be in them, because another team will snap them up if not

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Isn't all this just the same old familiar territory, though? We've been arguing for years about who should play in the 6 & 7 or decrying the fact that we don't have anyone decent to fill these positions. It would be nice to have a great half/halves, but we don't. We've had average halves for years and yet we've made a couple of finals series despite this.

Our seasons have also followed a similar pattern for the past couple of years, whereby we find ourselves battling to make the 8 after falling into a losing rut in the first half of the season. We've dragged ourselves out of these slumps by sticking to a dour style of play that focuses on ball control and metres up the middle.
I'm not a fan of watching us play that way, but it has provided us with a platform to find some consistency and cohesion in the past. We need to be grinding sides down, making less tackles, getting repeat sets & holding on to possession. Instead, what we've often been seeing is fairly mediocre go forward from our pack & far too many turnovers. Whilst the halves performances, especially of late, are doing nothing to help us, I personally think that ball control & that old cliche about 'going through them instead of going around them' is where our focus should shift. Our attack will come if we get into the habit of setting a platform first.

Rich102

Staff member
Isn't all this just the same old familiar territory, though? We've been arguing for years about who should play in the 6 & 7 or decrying the fact that we don't have anyone decent to fill these positions. It would be nice to have a great half/halves, but we don't. We've had average halves for years and yet we've made a couple of finals series despite this.

Our seasons have also followed a similar pattern for the past couple of years, whereby we find ourselves battling to make the 8 after falling into a losing rut in the first half of the season. We've dragged ourselves out of these slumps by sticking to a dour style of play that focuses on ball control and metres up the middle.
I'm not a fan of watching us play that way, but it has provided us with a platform to find some consistency and cohesion in the past. We need to be grinding sides down, making less tackles, getting repeat sets & holding on to possession. Instead, what we've often been seeing is fairly mediocre go forward from our pack & far too many turnovers. Whilst the halves performances, especially of late, are doing nothing to help us, I personally think that ball control & that old cliche about 'going through them instead of going around them' is where our focus should shift. Our attack will come if we get into the habit of setting a platform first.

Sadly these are all good points. I wonder how much the lack of forward power on attack is because Luck, Mannering and Lillyman are all better on defence than on attack. Ben is really our only attacking backrower.

Meth

Staff member
I guess it is fair enough for ask, in our pursuit of a balanced team, with no Tate, do we have room for Lillyman, Luck and Mannering in the team- none of them appear to be much more than tradesmen

Rich102

Staff member
From the Rugby League Week:
Jared maxwell had a tough weekend but did he need to take it out on poor Stacey Jones? As a scrum was packing with five minutes to go in Canberra, Maxwell was heard to tell the defending halfback,"Make sure you retire, Stacey".

Skinner

Coach
Jared maxwell had a tough weekend but did he need to take it out on poor Stacey Jones? As a scrum was packing with five minutes to go in Canberra, Maxwell was heard to tell the defending halfback,"Make sure you retire, Stacey".

:lol::lol::lol:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team

at least he got one call right over the weekend

LeagueNut

First Grade
Just realised today that Stacey is on target to bring up the 250-game milestone in our next home game against the Knights.

Love him or hate him at the moment, there's no doubt he deserves a bit of recognition for that. I wonder what the club will have planned?

P.S - Did anyone else here a hint of a "Boo" at Mt Smart when his name was read out in the team list today? (Mainly from the Western Stand??)

ozbash

Referee
P.S - Did anyone else here a hint of a "Boo" at Mt Smart when his name was read out in the team list today? (Mainly from the Western Stand??)

would have gone over and duffed them up if I had..

they (nick the nouncer) called out the Saviours name as the tigpies ran out, there was a bit of booing then..

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Jones had a good game today. I loved it in the pre-match, where Benji said he was "disgusted" with the amount of criticism there was about Jones. It's about time somebody came out and said that. I don't know why it wasn't one of the Warriors themselves.

I'd hate to think we are back in the days, where everything is relying on Jones. It didn't work then and it's not working now. A few other players have really got to start taking the heat off Jones.

Cleary has also got to start providing these said players with more opportunities and stop shunting them around.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I don't think so; he didn't get in the way, but he didn't have a good game

What are you basing that on? Did he not set your world on fire? Did he not achieve the amount of razzle-dazzle you would have liked?

I think some people's expectations are still back in 2002. Or even his 20 mins off the bench, against Manly. Do people expect him to reproduce that over 80 mins of football each week?

We are now seeing an older, more mature Stacey Jones. He's been out of League for over a year. He's back playing in the NRL, and is once again expected to shoulder most of the organisational workload. Something he shouldn't have to be doing.

Fien's destiny has been sealed, and he is no longer wanted by the club. There are growing calls to have him re-instated, but that is very shortsighted.

Jones has an inexperienced 5/8 playing outside him, who will need time to settle into the role. He needs more help from his hooker. And a better platform needs to be laid by the forwards. A lack of 2nd phase play is also a concern.

So as you can see, there are a number of factors that ANY halfback would be hampered by. This isn't a time warp, players get older. The Little General is now The Old General.

Meth

Staff member
I don't expect 2002 form from Stacey Jones. But in 2008, he's obviously not up to the grade.

Meth

Staff member
haha

Well, if he wasn't up to the grade in 08, he certainly isn't in 09

Why do you think he had a good game today?