What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium Upgrade

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
Alex28 said:
There isn't?

* House prices are still rediculously over-inflated
* Consumer debt is at an all time record high

There are two huge reasons why interest rates need to rise - credit is too attractive and too easy to get at the moment, and needs to be pulled back a bit.

I understand what you are saying but an increase in interest rates isn't going to make abtaining credit any harder, and credit has always been a problem for as long as I can remember. If you read some of the RBA statements (don't ask me to prove this because I don't want to go through all the press releases) consumer debt has slowed to just 0.9% increase for the last 1/4. The slowering of debt would be attributed to the increase in interest rates(not correct english there but hey its late at night).
The housing boom in Australia is just about over. The market may still be over-inflated and over priced but the demand for housing has decreased with the rise in interest rates. There will be a correction in the prices of housing which for all of our sakes I hope isnt any time soon because that would give the Roosters supporters something else to whinge about, lol.
The real reason that the interest rates might rise in Australia is the price of oil and consumer spending. The rising prices of crude oil is putting added pressure on inflation which has to be monitored, I'm actually surprised that interest rates havent risen due to the increase in crude oil prices, which as much as some of you dont want to admit, is credit to the Liberal government.

Alex28

Coach
I dont think you can totally blame the Lib's for high Oil prices...whilst they are involved in the 'coalition of the willing', even if Australia didn't get involved oil would still be high because the US would have still invaded Iraq.

Give Australia produces 90% of it's own oil requirements there is no real reason why we have to pay such high prices besides oil company greed. It's high oil prices that has temporarily kept interest rates low if anything...

roopy

Referee
Alex28 said:
I dont think you can totally blame the Lib's for high Oil prices...whilst they are involved in the 'coalition of the willing', even if Australia didn't get involved oil would still be high because the US would have still invaded Iraq.

Give Australia produces 90% of it's own oil requirements there is no real reason why we have to pay such high prices besides oil company greed. It's high oil prices that has temporarily kept interest rates low if anything...
Oil companies get a set rate for their production in Australia for oil fields that were discovered before a certain time - and more for newer fields (to encourage exploration). When oil prices go up overseas the government gets the difference in tax, which means the government is now rakeing in huge amounts of extra tax - which makes up more than 80% of the price of petrol at the bowser. That is where the sudden windfall of money has come from that all the pollies are spending so freely.
It is the right policy to keep our oil prices the same as the rest of the world, because if we had super cheap petrol, overseas companies would come in, set up industries to burn all our oil, use it all up in 10 minutes, and take their profits and piss off. Neither party will change this, or even talk about it, because us 'mug punters' just hear the words 'cheap petrol' and we start salivating and stop thinking.
The bottom line is - the government has reaped billions from the rise in petrol prices.

Kaz

junior
Alex28 said:

But didn't America secure the Oil from Iraq about a few weeks before invading.

Unless America needed the Oil for themselves as their Oil supplies were at an all time low. :shock:

misty

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Voting for Latham will do you no good either - especially if he loses...

But he wont lose, he's saying all the right things at the moment :lol:

Howard is a proven lier he's like I didn't know or I only found out today or I was only going by what other people told me.......please! enough already :roll:

Nuffy

Bench
Can we just forget the Iraq = oil argument.

It has no basis in fact. US oil reserves, their so called strategic reserve, is at historical highs.

Oil prices are high for the following reason, (all combined)

Strikes and unrest in Nigeria,
unprecedented demand particularly from China,
a lack of refining and transporting infrastructure,
a certain amount of leveraging through the futures market,
Workforce issues in Venezula.

This issues are causing more pressure on oil prices than Iraq. The lack of infrastructure coupled with increased demand in the main reason underpinning higher prices.

Kaz, things need to be based on fact not anti Howard, anti Bush rhetoric.

Alex28

Coach
my point was more that why should our oil prices be driven by international rates when we produce our own oil? that comes down to company greed - not the government. the government has taken a heap of taxes for ages - even when it was 80 cents per litre. you cant blame the government for this one...

Alex28

Coach
misty said:
Alex28 said:

like when he called one of his labor candidates Ivan Milat? :lol:

Alex28 said:
macavity said:
yep, and Howard's response on NXFM this morning was that any money toward EAS was a 'complete waste of money'... :evil:

I posted something on it in the NRL section and 4corners....

well...it is!

what is the coalition going to get out of wasteing $20 Mil on a stadium in Newcastle? they aren't going to win a seat in the hunter, they have Newcaste written off as Labor heartland and dont need Newcastle to win an election.

Until Newcastle and the Hunter becomes a marginal electorate, you will get absolutely nothing from a coalition federal government. Voting for Latham will do you no good either - especially if he loses...

A Wollongong federal seat went to the Greens in a recent by-election on the back of influx pop. from Sydney and discontent amongst unions who backed an independent (who prefenced the Greens). The Liberals still did nothing down here and the seat looks set to return to Labor.

The concept of profiting if you become a "swinging seat" is a myth.

How anyone's ideologies and beliefs like yours can shift so massively on a whim is totally beyond me.

Alex28

Coach
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
A Wollongong federal seat went to the Greens in a recent by-election on the back of influx pop. from Sydney and discontent amongst unions who backed an independent (who prefenced the Greens). The Liberals still did nothing down here and the seat looks set to return to Labor.

The concept of profiting if you become a "swinging seat" is a myth.

How anyone's ideologies and beliefs like yours can shift so massively on a whim is totally beyond me.

a whim...interesting...

you are missing the massive gap in your arguement...the seat was labor...then went to greens...now looks like going back to labor - right?

what exactly is the lib's getting out of this? you WILL profit in a swinging, or as i put it more correctly, a marginal seat - but only if the coalition is in with a chance of winning the seat!

let me dumb this down for you a bit more...because it appears you need it.

If Labor is not in power, and Greens are not in power, and they are the only ones who have a chance of winning the seat, then they cant really promise anything can they? because they are not in power and can not fulfill the promises!

and as for my "ideologies and beliefs" - how the hell do you know what mine are, and how would you know if I have changed them on a "whim"? i dont support labor...i dont support the coalition. i'm also not anti-either of the parties. i wont purposely not vote for either of them based on others opinions and propoganda thats fashionable to quote in people's signatures. i'll take all of the parties on face value and decide for myself. always have, always will.

so please...tell me how this has changed?

Alex28

Coach
it is a little curious however that St George has been offered millions for a new stadium where Newcastle would be a waste of money...given both seats are strong Labor Party seats, with both requiring a 6% swing against Labor. The thing is probably that Newcastle has always been a Labor town - they have never been beaten in a federal election. Thats why the coalition have written Newcastle off as a waste of money...

macavity

Referee
Alex - Howard's govt. is the first to blatantly attempt to BUY votes. They are quite unashamed in it.

While I realise we have to acknowledge it IS happening, to either a) accept it as a fact of life (se-la-vie!) or b) use it as some sort of incentive for electorate-wide vote rigging (ie voting for reasons other than who you want to run the nation....) is pretty bad mate.

Instead of legitimising it we should be condemning it. I cant believe this isn't a bigger issue in the wider media - it is acknowleged with almost mirth; they seem to find it funny how blatant it is....

Alex28

Coach
Mac...both parties are doing it...why do you think Labor threw $20 Million at Marathon Stadium?

misty

Juniors
Alex28 said:
misty said:
Alex28 said:

A slip of the tongue, could happen to anyone :lol: :lol:

roopy

Referee
misty said:
Alex28 said:
misty said:
Alex28 said:

A slip of the tongue, could happen to anyone :lol: :lol:
It sure could, just today I inadvertantly called Alexander Downer Alexander Bummer.

misty

Juniors
:lol: :lol:

Speaking of Alexander I see some protester broke through security and grabbed him :lol: :lol:
Downer just stood there with a dumb look on his face.

Anonymous

Juniors
misty said:
:lol: :lol:

Speaking of Alexander I see some protester broke through security and grabbed him :lol: :lol:
Downer just stood there with a dumb look on his face.

How can you tell that from his "smart" look? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: