What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium Upgrade

axie

Juniors
I can't seam to find this posted anywhere else, but, today the ALP pledged a $20 million upgrade to Marathon Stadium if they win the federal election ...

macavity

Referee
yep, and Howard's response on NXFM this morning was that any money toward EAS was a 'complete waste of money'... :evil:

I posted something on it in the NRL section and 4corners....

Alex28

Coach
macavity said:
yep, and Howard's response on NXFM this morning was that any money toward EAS was a 'complete waste of money'... :evil:

I posted something on it in the NRL section and 4corners....

well...it is!

what is the coalition going to get out of wasteing $20 Mil on a stadium in Newcastle? they aren't going to win a seat in the hunter, they have Newcaste written off as Labor heartland and dont need Newcastle to win an election.

Until Newcastle and the Hunter becomes a marginal electorate, you will get absolutely nothing from a coalition federal government. Voting for Latham will do you no good either - especially if he loses...

Anonymous

Juniors
And how are the poeple of Newcastle going to be swayed to vote Liberal if we keep hearing the arrogant retoric from Little Johnny. It's not like he's giving us much incentive to vote coalition.

Swampy

Juniors
100% correct Alex28.Gene Krupa if the Liberals pledged that money would you then vote for them?

Doctor

Bench
Swampy said:
100% correct Alex28.Gene Krupa if the Liberals pledged that money would you then vote for them?

Good point Swampy -- I think the answer in 99% of cases is "no". And therein lies the dilemma for the Howard Government. If they spend money trying to buy a 2-3 percent swing in marginal seats, it helps them win an election. But buy a similar 2-3 percent in the Hunter area, and all it does is dent what is a safe Labor lead in the area.

Latham will always out-spend and out-promise Howard -- that is the Labor way: to spend spend spend, and in doing so buy elections. It also has the downside of bumping up interest rates which actually harms working-class people, especially the very voters in Newcastle that keep religiously voting for the ALP.

I'm not surprised Latham has pledged money -- it is a $20 million investment to ward off any ideas of a massive swing against them. It also has the added advantage of perhaps convincing a few Patterson voters to vote for the ALP also. $20 million is a pretty cheap price compared to the ALP's traditional method of busting the budget.

Eventually the pressure will be back on families..... interest rates go up when surpluses are blown by enthusiastic oppositions desperately trying to get voted in. :roll:

Kaz

junior
Oswin said:
[Eventually the pressure will be back on families..... interest rates go up when surpluses are blown by enthusiastic oppositions desperately trying to get voted in. :roll:

Try scare mongering to others.

Interest rates will go up no matter who wins this election.

I bet interest rates increases have been held back to make the Liberal Government look good.

A complete makeover wouldn't make the Liberals look good.

Anonymous

Juniors
Swampy said:

I would have seriously considered it.

Now though, the coalition can go and get f**ked as far as I'm concerned.

And I won't forget it for another 20 years. So they'll be f**ked then too!

Alex28

Coach
No doubt interest rates will go up after the election - the bank I work for is predicting maybe 0.50% p.a. within 6 months no matter who wins the election.

The coalition's scare campaign is kinda correct based on Labor's past of pretty poor financial management. Mind you, interest rates were probably too low during the coalition's reign of terror - low interest rates are nice and all but property has become incredibly overpriced during this time.

But back to the topic...the Liberal's know that they have no hope of winning a seat in Newcastle - it requires a rediculously large swing of like 12% to win - they simply wont get the numbers, and such will pledge money in different areas - such as seats where they have to fight to win. Until Newcastle becomes an area like this, Newcastle will be treated like the bastard child it is to the Lib's.

You can blame the things that make Newcastle Newcastle for this though - it's working class culture, it's roots to the unions - all typically Labor heartland.

One thing Newcastle needs is a really strong Independent candidate to win the seat - it's amazing how much money gets thrown at the area as both parties try to woo the member and the area.

IanG

Coach
macavity said:
Well what do u expect from that stupid little leprocaun?
Yet he's pledged money to Kograh Probably cuz he's a dragons supporter.

Alex28

Coach
Gene Krupa said:
Swampy said:

Here ends todays lesson in No New Stadium While the Libs Run The Show 101 ;-)

I implore you...and god it hurts because I hate Howard as well...but if you want more stuff for Newcastle, dont vote Labor!

Anonymous

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Gene Krupa said:
Swampy said:

Here ends todays lesson in No New Stadium While the Libs Run The Show 101 ;-)

I implore you...and god it hurts because I hate Howard as well...but if you want more stuff for Newcastle, dont vote Labor!

Well they're giving me LOTS of encouragement to change y ways, aren't they Alex? :?

Alex28

Coach
dude...let me put it this way...

if you had no hope of winning one competition, but had a really good chance of winning another competition...which one would you concentrate on?

Anonymous

Juniors
Hey. You don't have to explain politics to me.

I'm just sick and tired of ALL their BS!

No matter what party!

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
Kaz said:
Oswin said:
[Eventually the pressure will be back on families..... interest rates go up when surpluses are blown by enthusiastic oppositions desperately trying to get voted in. :roll:

Try scare mongering to others.

Interest rates will go up no matter who wins this election.

I bet interest rates increases have been held back to make the Liberal Government look good.
A complete makeover wouldn't make the Liberals look good.

The government doesn't influence interest rates. The RBA influences interest rates and the RBA is a independant body with its own board of directors. It's sad that you think that the liberal government wants to cover up any bad economic management policies that it may have by determining its own interest rates. I know that most of you will be voting Labor and that you are trying to have a liberal bash but gees know what you are talking about. The only way that the government can affect the interest rates is through its Fiscal and monetary policies but now is not the time for a run down of economics. Its unfortunate that I'm not able to vote this year but I would be voting liberal. I think that Newcastle should have its new stadium because it really does suck but as long as Newcastle follows its Labor loving ways it will never happen unless Latham gets into office.

Alex28

Coach
lol...i know the Reserve Bank is supposed to be independent and all...but interest rates should have risen probably six months ago...now with a looming election i am sure it would have harmed the coalition's chances of winning with a few quick 0.25% rises...

the government has influence over interest rates - no matter what the Reserve Bank says.

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
There isnt a good enough reason to increase interest rates but I will be very surprised if the rate doesnt go up after the election no matter who wins.

Alex28

Coach
There isn't?

* House prices are still rediculously over-inflated
* Consumer debt is at an all time record high

There are two huge reasons why interest rates need to rise - credit is too attractive and too easy to get at the moment, and needs to be pulled back a bit.

Kaz

junior
Cowboy Fan said:
The government doesn't influence interest rates. The RBA influences interest rates and the RBA is a independant body with its own board of directors. It's sad that you think that the liberal government wants to cover up any bad economic management policies that it may have by determining its own interest rates. I know that most of you will be voting Labor and that you are trying to have a liberal bash but gees know what you are talking about. The only way that the government can affect the interest rates is through its Fiscal and monetary policies but now is not the time for a run down of economics.

The Government owns the Reserve Bank. :lol:

http://www.lexisnexis.com.au/aus/academic/research/AusGovAgencies/TreasuryReserveBank.asp

Latest posts