What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting 17 for 2012 ?

lingard

Coach
mate that's one of the biggest myths of all time, Reddy was the real problem as his lateral movement was shit and continually sucked Guru in, infact reddy was exposed last year without the aid of guru outside of him and there were several, i mean several tries scored against him on his side due to his continued f**k ups in defence..

if he makes your side (and i don't expect him to at full strength) than there's a real deficiency in your side.

f**k me - what a load of rubbish.

Big Mick

Referee
Thanks for the input guys.

I was going to place Tedesco in, just wasn't sure. Will make that adjustment now.

Thanking you!

super_coach

First Grade
Thanks for the input guys.

I was going to place Tedesco in, just wasn't sure. Will make that adjustment now.

Thanking you!

The word is Lote is out to at least round three with the same arm injury as last year. Blood clotting I was told

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The word is Lote is out to at least round three with the same arm injury as last year. Blood clotting I was told

If Tuqiri's out, any favourite to go on the wing? Utai, or do they try someone else? Reddy / Brown? I'd prefer Brown have first shot of those 3.

BTW- I agree Tedesco looks to have the inside running for starting fullback this season with Moltzen at half. Depending on how they perform for the first time in a long time WT have some depth players pushing for selection- Miller, Humble, Reddy, Brown......

super_coach

First Grade
Ryan and Utai wingers and either Humble or Tedesco at no1 and either Humble or Reddy as the back on the bench. Also the Mason thing is getting louder, so maybe even big Willie on the bench

Fordy20

Juniors
A representative goal kicking fullback would be a sensational pickup, but I can't see him walking out on the Panthers this season. By the time next season rolls around Tedesco will be established and the club won't be considering a fullback.

N.C.

Juniors
Not sure if this has been settled around these parts but it looks like Moltzen has been given the nod as our long-term #7.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-for-tim-moltzen/story-e6frexnr-1226266942926

NRL

Tim Sheens sets NSW Origin challenge for Tim Moltzen

• by: Ian McCullough
  • February 09, 2012 4:15PM

942369-tim-moltzen.jpg

Tim Moltzen with the Emerging NSW squad. Picture: Sam Ruttyn Source: The Daily Telegraph

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens has challenged Tim Moltzen to take advantage of NSW's lack of halfback options and play himself into Ricky Stuart's squad for the 2012 State of Origin series.

The 23-year-old, who back-tracked on a decision to move to St George Illawarra late last year and stayed with the Tigers, will start the new campaign in the No.7 shirt following Robert Lui's move to North Queensland.

Sheens admitted he was hugely disappointed to see Lui depart, having spent so much time helping him develop into one of the best young playmakers in the game.

But after Lui was charged with assaulting his girlfriend following the club's 2011 season mad Monday celebrations, and with the club under pressure from sponsors to release him, Sheens said there was little option but to move him on.

However, the veteran coach believes the versatile Moltzen, who has played mostly at fullback, can flourish in the halves alongside skipper Benji Marshall.

And he believes he should put current NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce under pressure for his place.

"With Moltzen and Marshall, we'll have the fastest halves combination in the game,'' Sheens said.http://nrlfantasy.dailytelegraph.com.au/

"No other team is going to have more speed over 80 metres than that pair.

"If I'm Timmy, I'd be looking at Ricky's squad.

"He was included in his emerging Origin squad and to be able to play at seven there is a lot less opposition in that position than at fullback.''

Sheens also revealed winger Lote Tuqiri could miss the first month of the season as he recovers from thumb surgery.

The former dual international will definitely sit out the first match of the season against Cronulla and possibly more as he makes slow progress in his recovery.

"He's had his thumb pinned and it is taking a bit of time,'' Sheens said.

"He's missed a fair bit of training and could be out for a few weeks as he gets back up to speed with the others.''

Tigers' new big-money signing Adam Blair said the opportunity to line up alongside New Zealand team-mate Marshall was a factor in his decision to sign from Melbourne.

The versatile forward, who can play in the front or back row agreed to a deal worth around $500,000 a year, and admitted it was a tough decision to leave the Storm.

"It was a big decision to come here,'' Blair said.

"But it'll be good to play outside Benji, that was something that attracted me.

"It was also the chance to work under a great coach and also play in a side that plays an exciting brand of footy.''

Fordy20

Juniors
I don't understand what goes on inside that man's head. Despite playing halfback for the Junior kangaroos, Sheens tried for 3 years to turn Moltzen into a fullback when it was clear from day one he wasn't a fullback's arsehole. It made an amazing difference to the side when Tim was moved away from fullback. The Tigers form with the spine of Farah, Moltzen, Marshall and Gallant was unbeatable. They racked up five wins on the trot and looked finals bound before Gallant broke his leg.

Then Sheens promoted Lui to halfback, demonstrating that he couldn't see what the vast majority could see, that the team was best off with having Moltzen in the halves rather than at fullback. For another two years Sheens tried to make a fullback out of Moltzen who only started showing any real competency at the backend of 2011 when it was clear he wasn't going to be playing for the Tigers anymore.

I don't understand how Sheens thinks that Moltzen is capable of directing NSW around the park, when for the last three years, he didn't even think Moltzen was capable of directing the Tigers around even with arguably two of the best players in the world in their positions supporting him at hooker and pivot.

super_coach

First Grade
Major backflip by Sheens and a total no confidence vote for Miller. If the young no1 fires its probably the right way to go but it a 100% turn around from what he was preaching over the past few seasons, Bottom line, he must now stick with Moltzen at no7 at least for this year ( and get him a kicking coach pronto)

macnaz

Staff member
My thoughts exactly Fordy.. We just need a backflip on who he considers are good wingers ,then we will be on track for a big year.

innsaneink

Referee
I don't understand what goes on inside that man's head. Despite playing halfback for the Junior kangaroos, Sheens tried for 3 years to turn Moltzen into a fullback when it was clear from day one he wasn't a fullback's arsehole. It made an amazing difference to the side when Tim was moved away from fullback. The Tigers form with the spine of Farah, Moltzen, Marshall and Gallant was unbeatable. They racked up five wins on the trot and looked finals bound before Gallant broke his leg.

Then Sheens promoted Lui to halfback, demonstrating that he couldn't see what the vast majority could see, that the team was best off with having Moltzen in the halves rather than at fullback. For another two years Sheens tried to make a fullback out of Moltzen who only started showing any real competency at the backend of 2011 when it was clear he wasn't going to be playing for the Tigers anymore.

I don't understand how Sheens thinks that Moltzen is capable of directing NSW around the park, when for the last three years, he didn't even think Moltzen was capable of directing the Tigers around even with arguably two of the best players in the world in their positions supporting him at hooker and pivot.

Lui was the focus....Moltzen was secondary...
This is a fluff piece, some spin with a coach publicly showing some confidence in his half....backflip/or a Plan B if you like

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Lui was plan A as well. I think though that he was plan A because Moltzen was the more versatile of the two players.

To me the big questions in this side are the 1 & 7. We have some options at fullback and Moltzen & Benji could absolutely smoke some teams.

The squad to me might even be better than last year. We must be one of the top teams this year and you'd expect us to do well.

N.C.

Juniors
Report on the WT site suggests Moltzen and Marshall had a bit of a carve-up in Gosford tonight. Good signs...

meltiger

First Grade
Mate seemed to think young JT played a good half as well.

Utai in twice. Guess that settles wings for R1

Vicious

Bench
Only very early days, but the Adam Blair signing looks like being a master stroke.
Gibbs was a great clubman and Fifita has plenty of potential, but Blair is in another class and adds plenty of confidence to the side. I`d still like to see us add another monster such as Willie Mason and I reckon our forward pack would become very dominant.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
On what I have read and seen barring injuries round one team is probably settled or very very close
1 Teddy
2 utai
3 asyford
4 lawrence
5 ryan
6 marshall
7 moltzen
8 woods
9 farah
10 galloway
11 blair
12 ellis
13 rhino

14 reddy
15 bell
16 groat
17 fulton

Only change i can see Reddy for Utai and maybe Humble the back on the bench
and maybe BMM for groat but I really i think Sheens will go with the above 17, Either way looks bloody strong outfit

Latest posts