What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Team Please!!

Bay53

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Thurling has been on every bench ive named all off season from memory, im with you on him, one of our best in each and every FG game he played last season

Not sure whether Trevor would be available for the first game. He had a knee reconstruction last year (his second in as many years), so I very much doubt he started the pre-season the same time as the others. Even if he is available for the first game, I would expect he would be pretty underdone and would need a number of weeks in PL before being considered for first grade.

Certainly a talent, but like they took a long time with Michael Weyman last year, his most important priority is to get his body right and get his confidence back up. I would expect we have a number of his type of player so there is no hurry for him to be back.

julian87

Juniors
Considering injuries, my team would be:

1 Will ZILLMAN
2 David HOWELL
3 Phil GRAHAM
4 Craig FRAWLEY/Brett KELLY
5 Colin BEST
6 Todd CARNEY
7 Michael DOBSON
8 Scott LOGAN
9 Lincoln WITHERS
10 Jason WILLIAMS
11 Matt BICKERSTAFF
12 Glen TURNER
13 Alan TONGUE

14 Andrew DUNEMANN
15 Mick WEYMAN
16 Josh MILLER
17 Neville COSTIGAN

18 Marshall CHALK

This is the team I would pick, but i think Henry would have Tilse for Williams.

Steel Dragon

Bench
So who would you rate at the Raiders number 1, 2 and 3 choices for goal kicker?

Is there anyone in premmy league that could play in the 9 to allow Link to run at half?

I honestly dont expect the Raiders to cause waves this year - but if they can keep this mob together - next year will be huge!

skeepe

Immortal
Goal kickers... Carney has a 100% record in NRL (albeit from 6 shots) and was potting them from everywhere in PL, Dobson had the highest percentage in the world last year for Wigan and Les Catalans... tough choice between those two really.

Chachi

Bench
Steel Dragon said:
So who would you rate at the Raiders number 1, 2 and 3 choices for goal kicker?

Is there anyone in premmy league that could play in the 9 to allow Link to run at half?

I honestly dont expect the Raiders to cause waves this year - but if they can keep this mob together - next year will be huge!
Withers has specifically asked Henry to run with him at hooker for the whole season. He is sick of switching between 7 and 9 and he himself feels his best position is at dummy half. IMO I think we're more likely to see Dobson, Dunneman and Carney in the number 7 before we see Withers at half this season.

Withers is a serviceable half, like Tongue is a serviceable hooker. I'll support both of those guys if they are asked to play in those positions however the key is to play players at their strengths and not try to turn them into players they aren't. Henry seems to know that...and thank God too I might add! In that regard, the best thing our management did last year was to release Woolford and Smith IMO. Now we can fit the proper pieces of the puzzle together and look to the future.

Given a fair share of luck and confidence I think Linc is in for his best season in the NRL thus far - and he'll have to be on his game to keep Hinchy out of the top grade.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
1 - Marshall Chalk
2 - Colin Best
3 - Phil Graham
4 - Craig Frawley
5 - David Howell
6 - Todd Carney
7 - Michael Dobson
8 - Scott Logan
9 - Lincoln Withers
10 - Troy Thompson
11 - Neville Costigan
12 - Matt Bickerstaff
13 - Alan Tongue (C)

14 - Andrew Dunemann
15 - Josh Miller
16 - Mick Weyman
17 - Glen Turner

I can understand the support for Zilly at fullback, I'd like to pick him also, but based on their performances at fullback in FG to date I think Chalk has to be the first choice. Remember he was MoM in his one game there last year. He makes his fair share of errors, and his certainly no Clinton Shifcofske, but I think he can be an asset to us with his support play and hard running in general.

My biggest concern is the centres. Aside from Phil its pretty slim pickings isn't it? Craig Frawley has a lot to prove, and I'd be lieing if I said I had a great deal of confidence in Purtell or Howell. Zillman in the centres is certainly appealing - if for no other reason that it gets his name on the team sheet - but if you combine Messrs Zillman, Chalk, Graham, Howell and Best to form a backline you're going to need to score a truckload of points to win games!

The biggest positive in looking at our potential side is the forwards who AREN'T there - in my case this includes the likes of Tilse, Williams, Thurling, Picker and, most importantly, Big Tom.

It's gonna be a fun year guys, let's get it on!

legend

Coach
I'm really looking for Brett Kelly to make his mark in the trials and push for a starting spot in the centres.

13 tries in 13 PL games tells me he is above PL standard and deserves a shot in first grade.

There is also Steve Irwin to consider as well. Whilst we lack experience, I think we certainly have the talent out wide to cause a lot of teams headaches.

sydraider

First Grade
I think we need to cement a permanent halves combo, TBH that is the only real weakness we have apart from some possible outside backs defensive issues.

I realise we havent had a ball kicked in anger yet but im hoping for a Dobson/Carney combination.

Some will go into bat for Herbert and whatnot but I think the key issue that should be addressed is The 7 and 6.

I really hope that Carney is given the No.6 jersey to make his own and both halves given a few generous weeks at least to get some cohesion happening.

julian87

Juniors
Yeah, I know a few people are on Kelly to have a big yr, but I'm still on Irwin, especially considering he is no longer overshadowed by his namesake day in and day out.

Imagine the bloody headlines if he makes a big impact in 1 grade.

thickos

First Grade
They're still resting a lot of key players for this trial. I'd imagine Frawley will get a game against the Tigpies.

Raider Azz

Bench
thickos said:
They're still resting a lot of key players for this trial. I'd imagine Frawley will get a game against the Tigpies.
no they're not, they're taking a full-strength squad. only players they said were left out were due to injury: howell, goodwin, learoyd lahrs and thompson.

Hi, My Side

1) William Zillman
2) Marshall Chalk
3) Phil Graham
4) Brett Kelly/Brad Cross (need a centre who can defend well as well as attack)
5) David Howell (Goodwin when he recovers)
6) Todd Carney
7) Mick Dobson
8) Dane Tilse
9) Lincon Withers
10) Troy Thompson
11) Josh Miller
12) Neville Costigan
13) Alan Tongue

14) Mick Weyman
15) Matt Bickerstaff
16) Glen Turner
17) Scott Logan

skeepe

Immortal
Raider Azz said:
no they're not, they're taking a full-strength squad. only players they said were left out were due to injury: howell, goodwin, learoyd lahrs and thompson.

I'd completely forgotten about Frawley, and hadn't noticed his omission. Looks like (barring any late news about an injury) he's failed to impress the new coach already.

Anyone think Brad Cross may be a bolter for round 1?

woodgers

Bench
Raider Azz said:

They don't add Frawley to the injured list anymore. I think they presume that Raiders fans take it as a given and don't waste the energy typing in his name every week!

But seriously, where is he? He is one that I was hoping like hell he had a massive offseason.

edabomb

First Grade
jed said:
Frawley's scored only 3 tries since he joined us - dead weight IMO

Finally someone else willing to make the call that Frawley is the biggest dud signing in club history.

Bulgarelli and Fuluvai pwn Frawley in strike rates.