What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of League on the North Shore

LeagueXIII

First Grade
For 92 years this area had a team which was much loved, and alot of people carried a soft spot for, today, no major league in the area and this weekend the ground that would see 20,000+ packed in for a derby game will see the Swans play Collingwood. Is this good for RL? We know the answer. Only a sport with no real leadership would damage itself the way league has. In the last 10 years what have we gained that we already didn't have, but more importantly what have we lost?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Put a team back there or on the CC, what is the harm of a league team being there? There was one there for 90+ years and no clubs died.

Schillaci

Juniors
ive noticed manly sea eagles 'thats my team' ad's at bus stops around st.ives and lane cove. have they now claimed that area?

the biggest problem rugby league has/had on the north shore is that even when there was a team very few kids actually played rugby league.

when the bears were around many of their supporters still played rugby union.

IMO , The ARL should be doing something to address the situation of some schools not Providing rugby league as an option at school. It might seem like pushing sh*t up hill but i think its scandalous that some private schools accept taxpayer money yet a major Australian sport is snubbed.

without a team on the central coast the ARL/NRL should dedicate a specific team to adopt the north shore by running clinics/promos etc. the roosters or souths may be the best options, even parramatta around the Hornsby region.

Schillaci said:
ive noticed manly sea eagles 'thats my team' ad's at bus stops around st.ives and lane cove. have they now claimed that area?

St ives and lane cove are a fair way from each other. It must have been a forest coach lines bus that runs down to the beaches.It is only 15 mins to brookvale oval from st ives though.

In my experience though people on the north shore hate the sea eagles.

Dogs Of War

Coach
LeagueXIII said:
Put a team back there or on the CC, what is the harm of a league team being there? There was one there for 90+ years and no clubs died.

I think the Central Coast is fairly well serviced with league games this year. As for the North Shore, I'm sure most can bite the bullet and travel to Manly if they want to catch a game. Or get on a train to the city and watch the roosters.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The attitude my team's alright, stuff your's is what's costing RL. AFL has barely any support in the west of Sydney yet they are willing to spend millions. By not having a presence in the north we are giving a free ride to AFL and union, would they do the same to us? Of course they wouldn't.

MayMoo

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
They were going to move to the Central Coast anyhow. So your point is?

Lost on some.

Yes the Bears were moving to the coast, buit they still would've been representing the North Shore.

And to the person who suggested popping down to Brooky to catch a game; ???
Well I don't know where to begin...

I live within walking distance of that ground and have all my life; The point is I want to see the Bears play in the NRL.

I still do watch Bears games in premier league and encourage others to do the same.

LordLeague

Juniors
IMO , The ARL should be doing something to address the situation of some schools not Providing rugby league as an option at school. It might seem like pushing sh*t up hill but i think its scandalous that some private schools accept taxpayer money yet a major Australian sport is snubbed.

BINGO! These schools, mainly GPS, have a proud RU history, that's great but doesn't mean they shouldn't play RL. These schools play AFL, soccer, tennis etc etc. Why not Rugby League ! The failure of these schools to provide a Rugby League is simply a denial of choice. It is an example of how the war against RL is still in full swing on the RU side of the fence. The NRL needs to expose these schools and weed out the sour, bitter, afraid (still running scared after 111 years) old boy fraternity and get Rugby League on the agenda in these schools. You can't tell me an all-boys school in Sydney with 1000 students can't put a RL team together. You can bet most of those boys follow RL on the weekend and would love to play at school. These schools should be shamed publicly and Sydney needs to know of the blatant discrimation against Rugby League that is common place in the biggest RL city on earth. We simply should not allow it!

Reminds me how I was almost sick when I saw highlights of the RU World Cup opening ceremony with representatives from all nations dancing and hugging in a big multicultural orgy. How ironic when RU administrations are the most arrogant, elitist, and discriminating in the sporting world. Why can only a handful of us see this ?

LordLeague

RL1908

Bench
Who looks after the juniors in that area now - is it still Norths? Where is the pathway for these players to the NRL? Either Parra &/or Manly should start servicing this area, or there should be a new NRL team there.

If there existed an equivalent area in NSW or Qld that extended from Cherrybrook to the Harbour Bridge to The Spit - in terms of population, businesses, juniors - it would be screaming out that it should have a NRL team.

Surely there is more potential in the abovementioned area than going to Adelaide or Perth.

The problem is every existing NRL club in Sydney is now viewed (rightly or wrongly) by the NRL as a Sydney-wide club - they won't introduce a new Sydney NRL club to the market, even though there is an unserviced area larger (economy/population) than the Gold Coast or Gosford, or Adelaide or Perth.

BrisVegas

Juniors
RL1908 said:
Who looks after the juniors in that area now - is it still Norths? Where is the pathway for these players to the NRL? Either Parra &/or Manly should start servicing this area, or there should be a new NRL team there.

If there existed an equivalent area in NSW or Qld that extended from Cherrybrook to the Harbour Bridge to The Spit - in terms of population, businesses, juniors - it would be screaming out that it should have a NRL team.

Surely there is more potential in the abovementioned area than going to Adelaide or Perth.

The problem is every existing NRL club in Sydney is now viewed (rightly or wrongly) by the NRL as a Sydney-wide club - they won't introduce a new Sydney NRL club to the market, even though there is an unserviced area larger (economy/population) than the Gold Coast or Gosford, or Adelaide or Perth.

You pretty much answered your own question. The NRL earn the majority of its revenue from the sale of media rights. A new CC coast club (as opposed to an existing club relocating there) is facing 2 battles:

a) A saturated Sydney market. 10 of the existing NRL clubs are located between Newcastle and Woolongong. If any resident of the greater Sydney area wants to attend a match they have a plethora of options. All existing clubs would likely be opposed to another player in the fiercely contested market for sponsorship and corporate support. Add to this that a new NRL franchise would unlikely provide any sort of significant bump in television ratings or foxtel subscriptions. The North Shore/Central Coast is already considered an NRL heartland in terms of viewership.

b) Untapped markets. Areas such as Perth, Adelaide and Wellington don't have representation in the NRL. By accepting team proposals from these areas you open up whole new states to game, driving up the sales value of the media rights in the process. All teams in the competition also share the benefits from potentially higher sponsorship deals. Telstra resumed talks for the naming rights to the NRL competition after they saw the huge TV ratings the Storm brought from the Melbourne market during the finals series. With the resurrection/rebirth of the W.A. Reds, expects to see a Perth based NRL team in 2011/2012.

The NRL is playing 7 games at the CC stadium this year, so you can expect a similar number of games to be played on the CC in future years as long as a crowd shows up.
Eventually the region will get a team when (I doubt it will be an if) a Sydney club relocates down the road. The best way to ensure this happens sooner than later is to get out and support the games played there so that it can be seen as a sound relocation opportunity to ensure a clubs long term success.

t-ba

Post Whore
Dogs Of War said:
I think the Central Coast is fairly well serviced with league games this year. As for the North Shore, I'm sure most can bite the bullet and travel to Manly if they want to catch a game. Or get on a train to the city and watch the roosters.

If the Dogs got kicked out of the comp, would you catch the train to Parramatta?

Knightmare

Coach
herbert henry1908 said:
In my experience though people on the north shore hate the sea eagles.

:LOL: Mate, most people who live anywhere but the Northern Beaches hate the Sea Eagles!

RL1908

Bench
I think these recent posts confirm that the old Nth Sydney area is not being serviced by one of the "Sydney" NRL clubs.

A junior in that area has no direct path to a NRL club.

A potential sponsor in that area has to go outside thier part of Sydney to find a NRL club - ask Manly, Cronulla, Penrith etc to survive without local sponsors & see how far they get.

MayMoo

Juniors
Knightmare said:
:lol: Mate, most people who live anywhere but the Northern Beaches hate the Sea Eagles!

Also a lot of Bears fans on the Northern Beaches as well, but hey that was the game we looked forward to most playing Manly. (we still play them in Premier League).

I must point out the NSDRLFC is still the governing area in the district, and we feed Souths so there is a pathway - Just unfortunately not to represent North Shore / Central Coast (Bears) in NRL.

mightybears

Bench
RL1908 said:
I think these recent posts confirm that the old Nth Sydney area is not being serviced by one of the "Sydney" NRL clubs.

A junior in that area has no direct path to a NRL club.

A potential sponsor in that area has to go outside thier part of Sydney to find a NRL club - ask Manly, Cronulla, Penrith etc to survive without local sponsors & see how far they get.

THE NSDRLFC runs the game on the north shore and they have a path to the nrl through souths, [even if the mitchell pearce's of this world get thieved by easts! from north shore marist].