What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

Kilkenny

Coach
Time for Freddie and his chief advisor to step aside.

No idea who the Blues will look at for the new coach there probably a number of candidates even if no obvious standout.

A few team changes need to made for Game Three for NSW to salvage some pride from the dead rubber.

Kilkenny

Coach
Not having Latrell fit and healthy was the single biggest issue the blues couldn’t overcome. Plenty of possession in good field position but couldn’t convert. Latrell would almost definitely scored or created tries in both games when we were deep in the attack. Don’t particularly rate him as a fullback but he is a weapon. We missed him.

Flashstep

Juniors
You think so? Kenny has more ticker in him than most of the pussy cat Blues. He isn't the most skilful player, but he is exactly the sort of player Qld loves. Heart, effort, toughness. We need more of those players in the Blues. We don't need any more "fancy Dans" so that Collins, Cotter and Carrigan can obliterate them and laugh at us.

Mate, he's barely a first grader. Even if Kenny tries to hard, it usually ends up in him making a crucial error. NSW shouldn't be picking players just because they have heart, it takes a lot more then that to be an origin level player.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Not having Latrell fit and healthy was the single biggest issue the blues couldn’t overcome. Plenty of possession in good field position but couldn’t convert. Latrell would almost definitely scored or created tries in both games when we were deep in the attack. Don’t particularly rate him as a fullback but he is a weapon. We missed him.
That was big but nothing is bigger than Freddy not being able to coach at all

I agree with Kilkenny that Latrell would have made a difference. My bigger concern for NSW is just how bare the cupboard is for outside backs beyond him. Trying to think of game breakers that could potentially be challenging for spots over the coming years and coming up with blanks; maybe Penisini, regular readers will also know of my man-crush on Alamoti. But a few years away both.

To a certain extent, our success is changing the way that people rate backs; effectively they need to be an extension of the pack. Now I love To’o, and he makes a huge contribution to Penrith’s success; but do we need a different game plan in Origin? The eye test would seem to say yes, because the game is different; a long 10 metres becomes a skinny 8.

It’s the same with Edwards at fullback. He is great for Penrith, but he plays largely the same way as Teddy, with his footwork up the middle on later tackles to make yards being his best attacking feature. Do we just want a better Teddy in the side?

I think NSW is going to struggle to score points for a couple of years.

Kilkenny

Coach
I agree with Kilkenny that Latrell would have made a difference. My bigger concern for NSW is just how bare the cupboard is for outside backs beyond him. Trying to think of game breakers that could potentially be challenging for spots over the coming years and coming up with blanks; maybe Penisini, regular readers will also know of my man-crush on Alamoti. But a few years away both.

To a certain extent, our success is changing the way that people rate backs; effectively they need to be an extension of the pack. Now I love To’o, and he makes a huge contribution to Penrith’s success; but do we need a different game plan in Origin? The eye test would seem to say yes, because the game is different; a long 10 metres becomes a skinny 8.

It’s the same with Edwards at fullback. He is great for Penrith, but he plays largely the same way as Teddy, with his footwork up the middle on later tackles to make yards being his best attacking feature. Do we just want a better Teddy in the side?

I think the Brian To’o one is interesting. Maybe at SOO a taller, faster player would be a better option. He’s done nothing wrong, will always do what he doesbest, but perhaps there could be better options.

It's driven by the wankers on 360. To be fair he is a grub on field, but no different to plenty of other grubs that are given a pass or celebrated as a lariken etc. To his credit he seems to use it to his advantage, he is smart enough to know he is respected by those that matter. Even Walsh came out and gave him a wrap after their little run in.

Given all the focus on mental health and so on the media have a lot to answer for, on one hand Nicho for example gets his pole smoked at every opportunity because "adversity" yet they want to crucify Luai every chance they get. Both had pretty tough upbringings by all accounts. Latrell & Cody are similar to Luai on field and Latrell is also outspoken off it, both have had off field incidents as well, yet the media wants to suck them off too. No one wants to say it out loud, but it sucks to be the wrong shade of black I guess.

I will also say that I reckon Nicho comes across a genuine top bloke, and Latrell & Cody are great for the game and I hope they never change. They just need to back off a bit with the Luai hate, there are people out there that have come to a tragic end after copping far less bullying that he gets.
If the reports are true, and death threats were made, that is unacceptable. His home was published, so it won't be difficult to find his actual address

Flashstep

Juniors

I agree with what you’re saying to an extent, I think the far bigger issue is that Fitler and his coaching staff obviously had no idea how to put together any attacking structures whatsoever. Queensland have plenty of game breakers but they won both games really on the back of their attack looking far faster and threatening every time they got in the red zone and their defence easily shutting down whatever the f**k it was we threw at them.

NSW looked dominant when we just let prime Turbo, Mitchell and Tedesco run rampant. Now Tedesco is far past his best, Turbo is a walking glass panel and Latrell has question marks consistently over his fitness, because of this NSW just got absurdly exposed.

It’s time we completely overhaul the NSW setup, we still have a good group of players, just need to make the right selections and actually have a real game plan.

I agree with what you’re saying to an extent, I think the far bigger issue is that Fitler and his coaching staff obviously had no idea how to put together any attacking structures whatsoever. Queensland have plenty of game breakers but they won both games really on the back of their attack looking far faster and threatening every time they got in the red zone and their defence easily shutting down whatever the f**k it was we threw at them.

NSW looked dominant when we just let prime Turbo, Mitchell and Tedesco run rampant. Now Tedesco is far past his best, Turbo is a walking glass panel and Latrell has question marks consistently over his fitness, because of this NSW just got absurdly exposed.

It’s time we completely overhaul the NSW setup, we still have a good group of players, just need to make the right selections and actually have a real game plan.
I guess I am questioning if we do have good players in the 1-6 positions (for scoring points). In the time of Freddy we have had a number of players from Penrith and the Roosters taking those positions, and neither of them are particularly fluid teams at the moment.

Maybe the answer is to go to more of the Rabbits system and utilise more of their players; particularly Reynolds, Walker and Mitchell to move the ball around in good ball situations. I’m not sure I trust Walker and Mitchell though when the lights are brightest. Maybe the Eels also and play at the line.

Just strikes me in the wrestle-athon that is Origin, the Panther game is difficult. It’s no surprise that our rise corresponded to a game where athleticism (probably at the expense of skill) was more rewarded with the 6-again era being introduced.

Iamback

Coach
I guess I am questioning if we do have good players in the 1-6 positions (for scoring points). In the time of Freddy we have had a number of players from Penrith and the Roosters taking those positions, and neither of them are particularly fluid teams at the moment.

Maybe the answer is to go to more of the Rabbits system and utilise more of their players; particularly Reynolds, Walker and Mitchell to move the ball around in good ball situations. I’m not sure I trust Walker and Mitchell though when the lights are brightest. Maybe the Eels also and play at the line.

Just strikes me in the wrestle-athon that is Origin, the Panther game is difficult. It’s no surprise that our rise corresponded to a game where athleticism (probably at the expense of skill) was more rewarded with the 6-again era being introduced.

Think back to 2020. Blow outs were due to poor players, It took a few years to turn them into FG.

Give it another 12-18 months and those guys will at the Origin level

Iamback

Coach
Watching now due to work. Luai's kick that went dead just happened. Was a fantastic kick with no chase. He looked filthy with the team for it and rightfully so.

That happens all night.

We can rightful pick apart the lack of attack, but urgency wasn't there.

So many linebreaks with no support, Or poor kick chasers and lets the pressure off

Pomoz

Bench
Mate, he's barely a first grader. Even if Kenny tries to hard, it usually ends up in him making a crucial error. NSW shouldn't be picking players just because they have heart, it takes a lot more then that to be an origin level player.
Come on flashstep. Kenny kept Api from starting last year in the finals and we won the competition by the length of a straight. NSW absolutely should be picking players with heart if they want to match Qld. The effort plays win matches in SOO. They set a platform for the skilful players like DCE to do their thing. Admittedly, Skilful and Kenny are very rarely seen in the same sentence, but heart, toughness and effort feature repeatedly. We could really have used some of that for NSW on Wednesday night.

mxlegend99

Referee
Come on flashstep. Kenny kept Api from starting last year in the finals and we won the competition by the length of a straight. NSW absolutely should be picking players with heart if they want to match Qld. The effort plays win matches in SOO. They set a platform for the skilful players like DCE to do their thing. Admittedly, Skilful and Kenny are very rarely seen in the same sentence, but heart, toughness and effort feature repeatedly. We could really have used some of that for NSW on Wednesday night.
It's not really genuine to say Kenny kept Api from starting. Ivan wanted Api to avoid the early onslaught and save him for once the game started to open up.

Kenny was part of the team and Ivan decided it was best to give him his minutes earlier because it's generally less likely there's sloppy defence to make the most of. Except in finals the Eels were sloppy in defence immediately. Kenny was used solely to try making Api more effective for the bulk of the game.

When Kenny started and we had attacking opportunities he looked lost and like we weren't prepared for it yet. Our attack never really slicked until Api was on.

Kenny would be a poor choice for NSW. With how tough points are to come by for NSW, the last thing they need is an indecisive hooker with slow service. His defence is good... But Reece Robson is a better defender. With better service and more of a running threat.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think most miss Pomoz stirring the pot.

He makes a good point thou. The much maligned Mitch Kenny is tough as nails and the Blues need more players like him even if he is not ever going to play SOO.

Im sure Reece Robson is the way to go going forward.

Flashstep

Juniors

We really missed Mitchell this series, him outside of Luai would have made a big difference. Hopefully next year our centres are Mitchell and Campbell Graham, unless Turbo has a miraculous recovery in the next 12 months.

Addo-Carr isn’t that good but the problem is we have no winger depth at all. Tedesco should be gone surely and if Paps is fit, anyone out of him, Gutho and Edwards would be much better options going forward. As long as we have a coach who actually knows what he’s doing that is.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I’m done with Origin and the player drain after seeing our team sheet for tomorrow. Now NSW have lost the series, we need players to prioritise the club rather than a dead rubber. It is not out of the question that if Penrith will drop another couple of games in the coming weeks, mostly due to the Origin effect. Well and truly over it and hope we have players dropped for Game 3.