What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statue Honour For Eels Legend Ray Price

ParraManiac

Juniors
maybe they could have him in a muddied embrace with Sterlo......

or has that been done before... :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

parra pete

Referee
Suitman said:
That's true. Wasn't Ken Thornett affectionately known as "The Mayor of Parramatta?

Maybe we can get something going here Gronky.

The "Legends Mile" - or more accurately, "The Legends 150 metres" - with a row of statues of all our greatest players........??

Suity

Best suggestion I have heard for a long time> :clap:

Maybe could even get a statue of Tim Smith 'mooning' the Club and its supporters if his latest episode is correct.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
Best suggestion I have heard for a long time> :clap:

Maybe could even get a statue of Tim Smith 'mooning' the Club and its supporters if his latest episode is correct.

you must have mistaken this thread to something else..please don't tarnish it.

GizLoki

Juniors
Just BRILLIANT news. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Suitman said:
The "Legends Mile" - or more accurately, "The Legends 150 metres" - with a row of statues of all our greatest players........??
Suity

Suitman that is a FANTASTIC idea ! We've now got one of Pricey (hail the great man !) - can people power get more ?!? Can you imagine heading to a game and walking past Pricey, Thornett, O'Reilly, Kenny, Sterling, Cronin, Hindy (once he retires) etc....that would be just awesome.

bartman

Immortal
Great news the statue idea is a goer.

NE corner on that bit of grass would be great, and in time if Price is joined by other legend statues there, then great.

Who knows, that spot could turn into a new outdoor hall of fame ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
Great news the statue idea is a goer.

NE corner on that bit of grass would be great, and in time if Price is joined by other legend statues there, then great.

Who knows, that spot could turn into a new outdoor hall of fame ;-)

that would be sensational, much the same way as St George have at Kogorah and the SCG have at the back of the members stand.

I must disagree. Too many statues would diminish their values.

A Walk of Fame would be a good idea, but through something else besides statues. Maybe a wall that contains plaques, pictures, stats etc, maybe even a bust for a selection of great players.

Whatever is done, I personally believe we should keep statues to a minimum, with only one being erected if possible.

GizLoki

Juniors
Can't say I agree - I love walking through, for example, parks which have many statues in them, reading the plaques and finding out a bit about why someone thought they were special. But I would be strongly against just ANYONE getting a statue (or plaque or painting etc...) It should definately only be reserved for THE GREATS.

But I guess that's what these forums are for huh - "friendly" discussion and debate :)

bartman

Immortal
ahu-akivi-moai-cc-devittj-350h.jpg

Hellsy

Immortal
Great stuff.... shame it had to be so public and nasty though, but a great result none-the-less.

Whats the bet they wanted this sorted prior to the AGM on Sunday when no doubt it would have been a topic in general business!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Suitman said:
That's true. Wasn't Ken Thornett affectionately known as "The Mayor of Parramatta?

Maybe we can get something going here Gronky.

Suity

Put Ray on the peak of the hill behind the North Hill. Then make one for Sterlo, Kenny, Cronin and Thornett and have them all face towards the leagues club with their fingers pointed at Fitzy's office.

Gronk

Staff member
Price remembers happier times
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Nick Walshaw

January 31, 2008 12:00am

PARRAMATTA hero Ray Price has given his fans the ultimate Groundhog Day - by forever immortalising September 28, 1986.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Price has chosen a classic snapshot from the '86 decider to be struck as his Parramatta Stadium statue.

0,,5866355,00.jpg

The moment - of him holding aloft the Winfield Cup - is a bittersweet one for all Eels supporters, who've since endured 21 consecutive winters without any more premiership success.

"And that's the main reason for choosing this special moment, to give something back to the fans," Price explains. "I mean, they've waited more than two decades for another premiership.

"That's too long. But hopefully this statue gives them something to enjoy until our next one."

Asked when that next elusive triumph might be, the dual international continues: "I honestly believe we can win it this year.

"Michael Hagan is a terrific coach and he's now had that all-important year to settle. We've also got some great young players and, personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Tim Smith back and learning from Andrew Johns."

Stadium Trust officials say the bronzed likeness will take eight months to complete and may head a Walk of Fame around the ground - with plaques celebrating the achievements of other local athletes.

"And I think that would be terrific," Price adds.

"Because for me that moment in '86 was a real highlight. It was just after that shot was taken that I announced to the crowd I would never play at the Sydney Cricket Ground again. That I was retiring.

"And to do that immediately after celebrating a grand final win, yeah, it's one of the real touching moments of my life."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23134593-5006066,00.html

Tyler Durden

Juniors
great photo.

if you look in the background on the right hand side - see the little kiddie in the parra jersey watching price - it's eric grothe jnr.

Latest posts