What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statue Honour For Eels Legend Ray Price

MarkInTheStands said:
Which if I am honest I would rather see spent on Upgrades to Parramatta Stadium to Ensure we keep playing out of it Rather than putting a Hunk of Bronze out the Front so as people can feel good about the past of our club.

Or you could see it as an investment in the club's culture and, indirectly, the club's 'brand' (which is pretty weak).

cumberlandsashes81 said:
Or you could see it as an investment in the club's culture and, indirectly, the club's 'brand' (which is pretty weak).

So now our Culture is to Honor the Squeakiest wheel??? If we were to invest in the Clubs Culture I would rather see $60,000 spent on setting up a real Hall of Fame, which would honour all the greats at our club over its long and illustrious History.

MarkInTheStands said:
So now our Culture is to Honor the Squeakiest wheel??? If we were to invest in the Clubs Culture I would rather see $60,000 spent on setting up a real Hall of Fame, which would honour all the greats at our club over its long and illustrious History.

Well, I'm biased because he's my favourite player (as my avatar attests)... but if the club was to put money into a hall of fame then I would absolutely be in favour of that.

I just personally think the club is selling itself short in terms of the image it projects of itself within the supporter ranks and within the community as a whole. As you say, we have an illustrious history and it should be celebrated.

A club like the Rabbitohs are doing an excellent job of rediscovering their culture / history and it appears to be translating into memberships and sponsorships - not to mention iconic Rabbits on the back of a massive number of cars throughout Eastern and South-Eastern Sydney.

cumberlandsashes81 said:
Well, I'm biased because he's my favourite player (as my avatar attests)... but if the club was to put money into a hall of fame then I would absolutely be in favour of that.

I just personally think the club is selling itself short in terms of the image it projects of itself within the supporter ranks and within the community as a whole. As you say, we have an illustrious history and it should be celebrated.

A club like the Rabbitohs are doing an excellent job of rediscovering their culture / history and it appears to be translating into memberships and sponsorships - not to mention iconic Rabbits on the back of a massive number of cars throughout Eastern and South-Eastern Sydney.

Your Not alone in those thoughts, Many of us on this board have said the same thing. I know a few of us are quite close to finishing a quite significant document which outlines to the club where it is being resoundingly beaten by other clubs and even Teams Like Newtown in terms of Fan Relations.

However, I still don't think the statue is they way to go.

fish eel

Immortal
we've been beat up again the papers by the trust

http://parramatta.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/statue-stand-off/1186559.html

An exasperated Ray Price said he couldn't win in the row over funding of a statue in his honour.

"It doesn't matter what I say," the Parramatta rugby union and rugby league legend said.

"Let's be clear: I never asked for a statue. The fans approached the Parramatta Stadium Trust.

"I've had fans asked me: who do we donate to?"

Price said he had decided on a grassy area between the stadium and Parramatta Leagues Club as his preferred site.

The wrangle began when the trust decided to rename Parramatta Stadium's Ray Price Lounge as the Cumberland Lounge, a decision fans saw as a slight against a favourite son.

The trust then decided in December to commission a bronze sculpture in Price's honour.

The Eels board subsequently voted against sharing the cost, saying it wasn't consulted.

Noted sculptor Alan Somerville estimated a two-metre bronze statue would cost about $100,000.

"That's a ballpark figure," said Mr Somerville, whose bronze life-sized sculptures have included cricket great Richie Benaud and the late former NSW Governor, Sir Roden Cutler.

"There would be 14 weeks in the iron foundry and about three months to do the sculpture. All up, it would be about eight months' work."

Parramatta chief executive and trust member Denis Fitzgerald confirmed the Eels had written to the trust, suggesting the proposed stadium southern grandstand be called the Ray Price Stand. The State Government has committed $6 million to the estimated $24 million cost but the project is in limbo, given the Federal Government's belt-tightening.

Meanwhile, trust venue manager Luke Coleman said a walkway outside of the stadium, honouring former Parramatta sporting greats, was being considered.

"The trust is discussing it but it's not firmly on the agenda," Mr Coleman said.

"It would be a more proper way of honouring the various sporting legends.

"There is a lot of history on the site from its time as Cumberland Oval."

He said a series of plaques had been discussed but the first priority was completing the Price statue.

We really have handled this whole debacle poorly. It is quite a shame, that the week of our first trial, this is on the front page on the local paper.

A couple of points on the bit I bolded.

$24 million - my recollection was $18 million - but I may be mistaken.

The project is not in limbo because of federal government belt tightening. Promises to upgrade a number of grounds were made by Rudd, Penrith being one, but no committment was made to upgrade Parramatta - by either party at the last election.

It was promised by the state govt, we should be hitting them for the money. At least their share.

The naming of the grandstand. Mark alluded to this previously. Good to see the club getting that side of the story out there, but it should have been done earlier, and to a bigger audience than the Parramatta Sun. It's the type of angle you can use to deflect the story away from us being to bad guys, to us pressuring the state to meet their promise so we can give Ray his grandstand.

This whole debacle really has been amatuer hour and we really have been completely outplayed by the trust.

Well I think it is also interesting how our Media output has risen since we employed Mr Smart. The Press Releases and all. I feel we missed someone like his insight and experience over the Off Season.

Still no mention that the Eels have asked the Lounge name be change back when they are Leasing the Stadium.

Stagger eel

Staff member
you're right fish, the federal government never promised a single doller of the new grandstand so the boards suggestion in naming the southern stand appears to still be a small good will gesture to hose the issue down.

both parties I believe have acted poorly.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
Still no mention that the Eels have asked the Lounge name be change back when they are Leasing the Stadium.

I believe even as main tennants, we have no say in that area, even on game day.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Well I think it is also interesting how our Media output has risen since we employed Mr Smart. The Press Releases and all. I feel we missed someone like his insight and experience over the Off Season.

Yes, I noted that and would wonder why not?

fish eel

Immortal
Stagger eel said:
you're right fish, the federal government never promised a single doller of the new grandstand so the boards suggestion in naming the southern stand appears to still be a small good will gesture to hose the issue down.

The naming of the new grandstand could have been used to leverage pressure on the state government and make us the good guys. I think we've lost that opportunity now.

Suitman

Post Whore
Stagger eel said:
I believe even as main tennants, we have no say in that area, even on game day.

lol. We're the only tennants ffs. Surely they could give us that at the very least, considering we have two people on the board. Couldn't be that hard, could it??
Or does it not matter that much to the Eels?
I'm thinking that this issue is very much on the bottom of Denis's "to do list".

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
lol. We're the only tennants ffs. Surely they could give us that at the very least, considering we have two people on the board. Couldn't be that hard, could it??
Or does it not matter that much to the Eels?
I'm thinking that this issue is very much on the bottom of Denis's "to do list".

Suity

What do you think they'd do if we stuck a sign on the door on match day that says 'Ray Price Lounge'. Evict us? :lol:

In the current leagues club member bulletin, they have an ad for match day corporate functions and that ad includes 'The Ray Price Lounge'.

carson

Juniors
Instead of a statue maybe we should plant a tree in his honour, with all the fertilizer currently being provided by the press and all the different trust involved it shouldn't have any problem growing.

Latest posts