What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney and Parra

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought Keating was very good again today. Made all his tackles and did enough to deserve to be a winner

Yeah me too. I'm watching the replay now and he did his job like he does every week.

He's not much of a threat to run but neither are the hookers used by the top 2 teams, and all three of them get through 80 minutes with very few missed tackles.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm one of the few who see good things. I see structure and determination from a team who on paper should finish last but as Rabs pointed out at the start of the game, where we have finished does not reflect the season we have had. The last few weeks I can understand the determination may be lacking but we have backrowers playing in the centres and makeshift halves etc.

At the start of the year, if anyone said we would have competed against Manly, St George and have Melbourne down by 18 points at one stage, I would have laughed. The season has shown we can compete above our expectations against the best but unfortunately losing by 2 - 6 points still results in no points on the ladder.

Kearney to his credit hasn't thrown in the panic towel and sees a longer term future for his plans. Next year is the real judgement year for him and if we finish anywhere near where we are now with the new players coming, then fair enough.

I also have another question. Alot of people are saying that we should throw in some future players for the rest of the year, but do their respective teams have anything to play for for the remainder of the season? Are Wenty or the Under 20's lokking at playing any finals? If they are, let them stay and achieve something rather than bringing them into firsts who have nothing but avoiding a spoon.

mate agree with what you have been saying, definitely think Kearney is heading in the right direction and along with playing structure we are playing. Even today we didn't lose the forward battle and made really good metres, just a lack of class and attack didn't help. At 16 nil the score line could have blown out big time. Really looking forward to next year

i still think the problem is with the culture at parramatta and not the coach, SK has plans to change this and it won't happen over night but if he is given time it will happen.

Avenger

Immortal
yeah agree with what you said with Hayne, that dog's game was a turning point. On Hayne he just dosn't have a big enough bag of tricks to be a play maker at this stage - but not having a half doesn't help. He is definitely putting the effort in, but doesn't have much spupport in the play making duties. Looking forward to next year when he goes back to fullback and one of our attacking moves will be to get him one on one with the oposition - Roberts and Sandow will do this quite oiften.

On Mortimer, I didn't think his form was that bad before he got dropped. I get the feeling his dropping and the lack of recall over the last 6 to 8 weeks may have more to do with trying to force him out of the club due to his large contract which doesn't refelct his current playing ability - can't really give it to Kearney if this is what he is trying to do.

Agree 100% re: Morts and the strategy even though Kearney would never admit it.

TheRam

Coach
Yeah me too. I'm watching the replay now and he did his job like he does every week.

He's not much of a threat to run but neither are the hookers used by the top 2 teams, and all three of them get through 80 minutes with very few missed tackles.

Yeah I suppose he can tackle. I know that's what all coaches look for in their hookers. Run, pass who ever said a hooker needs to do that?

Eels Dude

Coach
mate agree with what you have been saying, definitely think Kearney is heading in the right direction and along with playing structure we are playing. Even today we didn't lose the forward battle and made really good metres, just a lack of class and attack didn't help. At 16 nil the score line could have blown out big time. Really looking forward to next year

I don't think opposition sides take us seriously enough to bother playing for the 80 minutes. With today's game it's more like the Tigers clocked off because they knew they had the game won after 20 minutes. Same as a few weeks ago the Storm were probably confident they'd win the game against us even trailing 16 zip in the 60th minute.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think opposition sides take us seriously enough to bother playing for the 80 minutes. With today's game it's more like the Tigers clocked off because they knew they had the game won after 20 minutes. Same as a few weeks ago the Storm were probably confident they'd win the game against us even trailing 16 zip in the 60th minute.

yeah and the eels could have also clocked of as well after it got to 16 zip.

mull

Juniors
Agree 100% re: Morts and the strategy even though Kearney would never admit it.
its weak if thats the case, i cant imagine hidden agendas regarding player selection would help the team in anyway. Should be simple play good be rewarded play bad get dropped etc. I think with morts though, bringing him back in the last few weeks would not do him any favours.

The Stig

Juniors
The storm were cheaters for the last few years. This year they remove quite a lot of players but keep the big three. Bellamy builds a team around them and just breaks a record winning streak. If Kearney who was understudy to Bellamy is where he is today with the Eels and can't figure it out them god help the Eels going forward.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I suppose he can tackle. I know that's what all coaches look for in their hookers. Run, pass who ever said a hooker needs to do that?

He passes just fine and runs as well as both Ballin and Australian hooker Cameron Smith.

He doesn't have Smith's passing and kicking games but he's as good a hooker as Matt Ballin, and he's won a premiership and played for Queensland.

But y'know, he's not as flashy as guys like Farah and Luke so he must be crap right?

Avenger

Immortal
He passes just fine and runs as well as both Ballin and Australian hooker Cameron Smith.

He doesn't have Smith's passing and kicking games but he's as good a hooker as Matt Ballin, and he's won a premiership and played for Queensland.

But y'know, he's not as flashy as guys like Farah and Luke so he must be crap right?

Runs as well as the best hooker to play the game in Cameron Smith ? Where to the bust stop ?
Hahahaha!!

strider

Post Whore
Had ando stayed I don't think we would have come last ... I think Eric would have stayed and I think he makes a massive difference if he stays healthy

It's impossible to say how things would have turned out tho. I don't think anyone should find coming last in any way acceptable, it's total crap . Sure we have massive holes in our roster but so do some other teams, we should not be last. But we've had some promising times this year so there's plenty of hope for next year

CrazyEel

Bench

C'mon Poupou, Keating is to hookers what Robson is to halves, they fill in because you've got noone else. Keating is slow passing the ball, doesn't know when to run and more importantly doesn't know when NOT to run, Avenger is right on this one.

Eels Dude

Coach
yeah and the eels could have also clocked of as well after it got to 16 zip.

We clocked off at the start. We only clocked on when the game was already over which isn't something to get excited about. As soon we got back into the game we clocked off a second time.

spartan2153

Juniors

keating while a decent defender is not even good enough to tie smith & ballins shoe laces

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Had ando stayed I don't think we would have come last ... I think Eric would have stayed and I think he makes a massive difference if he stays healthy

It's impossible to say how things would have turned out tho. I don't think anyone should find coming last in any way acceptable, it's total crap . Sure we have massive holes in our roster but so do some other teams, we should not be last. But we've had some promising times this year so there's plenty of hope for next year

Grothe would have made a bit of difference. But only for this year.

I know Reni's decision to sign with us had alot to do with SK being appointed in the weeks before he signed. And he has worked out really well for us.

So I think we are better off in the long run anyway.

Willface

Juniors
For f@$k sake it is the same crap over and over. Wayne Bennett would not have improved the quality that is pretty much our 1 to 18. We don't have a half, five-eight that would make any starting team anywhere else (outside of hayne currently but would he be at five-eight). A majority of you are sitting here ripping the coach for sacking morts yet gave it to him and Anderson for that matter (all you Anderson lovers), atleast this guy has the ticker to stick to his guns re morts not been up to first grade. As for you all talking about the boring play we are serving up. I do agree it's boring, however the no stuctured second hand play that we have used for the last ten years hasn't worked (outside of a freak run of one player, which still didn't put any silver ware in our cabinets) hasn't worked. About time the club stood up and changed the structure of which our club is going both on and off the field. As previously stated were on earth did any of you think we were going to end up with the team we have and key players playing out of position. Kearney just needs time and support.

The Colonel

Immortal
Some people, yes I am looking at you Venge, should stay away from the forum ater a game like the one today...... I didn't watch it, couldn't care less after seeing the result and some of the comments...... I just look forward to the off season and hope that we start off on the right foot next year.

Finger pointing isn't going to change any of the results....

Latest posts