What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

AMIG

Juniors
"Benji equals anybody I've seen in terms of flair, and making something happen he is a remarkable talent, born out of living on the edge. That's the way he is. He was made to be a footballer..." -Wayne Bennett

Bennett now has the opportunity to work with this individual .?:D

bottle

Coach
This is undoubtedly true, however it does miss the point slightly. Inexperience within itself doesn't make a coach poor, but if a coach is inexperienced then you don't really have a good idea of whether he's a good coach or not; there's little real evidence.

My post was directed to those saying that Mary shouldn't be engaged on a full time basis based purely on the fact that he is a rookie. I don't think this alone is a valid reason to be making that decision. It should be a results based decision.
Not sure what point was missed.

Technique

Juniors
My post was directed to those saying that Mary shouldn't be engaged on a full time basis based purely on the fact that he is a rookie. I don't think this alone is a valid reason to be making that decision. It should be a results based decision.
Not sure what point was missed.
The fact that he's a rookie means there is little evidence to have proven his abiity as an NRL coach; it's an inherent risk even after half a season as an interim coach. That's why the fact that he's a rookie matters -- not because good coaches who are rookies can't succeed, but because we don't really know if he's a good coach or not based on such a small sample.

saint.nick

Coach
Matty Johns is full of shit, he only uses his gut feeling- "I'd be shocked if he didn't end up at Broncos." He's just talking from the position of if he were in Wayne's situation. Fatty and all of them reckoned Benji was Sharks bound, they were wrong about that.

TruSaint

Referee
Matty Johns is full of shit, he only uses his gut feeling- "I'd be shocked if he didn't end up at Broncos." He's just talking from the position of if he were in Wayne's situation. Fatty and all of them reckoned Benji was Sharks bound, they were wrong about that.

Agree mate, just thought i would thow it in amongst all the other expert sh..t :D

saint.nick

Coach
Kevin Walters seemed to be ruling out the Broncos anyway. Besides, you'd think an ex-Bronco would have better inside knowledge than Matty...

bottle

Coach
The fact that he's a rookie means there is little evidence to have proven his abiity as an NRL coach; it's an inherent risk even after half a season as an interim coach. That's why the fact that he's a rookie matters -- not because good coaches who are rookies can't succeed, but because we don't really know if he's a good coach or not based on such a small sample.

Yes, this all goes without saying. That still doesn't make it a valid sole reason to dismiss engaging a bloke out of hand, which was my point.
This is where an astute management team come into play. Assessing the small sample of results, amongst other criteria (including alternative options) and making a determination based on the best available evidence is part of what they are paid to do.
Sure it is sometimes a leap of faith. One which has been made successfully in some cases (Hasler, Gould), not so much with some others (Kearney, Price).
It's an inexact science. So much so that even coaches that come with experience, and even Premierships, can fail on a continual basis (Stuart). Others can have an absolute wealth of experience and even sound results, yet fail to ever get the big prize (poor Brian Smith).

Last edited:

Technique

Juniors
Yes, this all goes without saying. That still doesn't make it a valid sole reason to dismiss engaging a bloke out of hand, which was my point.
This is where an astute management team come into play. Assessing the small sample of results, amongst other criteria (including alternative options) and making a determination based on the best available evidence is part of what they are paid to do.
Sure it is sometimes a leap of faith. One which has been made successfully in some cases (Hasler, Gould), not so much with some others (Kearney, Price).
It's an inexact science.
Yeah, agreed.

I'd be a bit disappointed if Mary didn't keep the job personally, but that's purely from a selfish perspective as I want to see how he'd go; I don't actually support this club. :p

bottle

Coach
Matty Johns just struggling to say something to hear the sound of his own voice and sound relevant.
Tosser, wanker and self fondler.
Did I mention he's a massive masturbator?

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Bennett's not over the line just yet boys and girls.
Still an each way bet. The longer this plays out, the less confident I am.

Chickens, counting and all !

Saintsified

Bench
THE first person that Wayne *Bennett told he was leaving *Newcastle after three years was Alex McKinnon.

As the Hunter rugby league community digests the news that Bennett will no longer be at the helm of the Knights, the man himself wanted McKinnon to know there would be no change in their relationship.

Bennett has been a constant in McKinnon’s rehabilitation since the 22-year-old fractured neck vertebrae in round three against Melbourne.

Next weekend, the NRL has renamed the fixtures the “Rise for Alex’’ round. Channel Nine is running a fundraising telethon on The Footy Show, while $1 from every ticket sold to the Knights-Gold Coast match and the Storm-Canberra match, plus money raised from specially-made wristbands will go towards McKinnon’s medical and lifestyle expenses.

Bennett and the ginger-haired forward with the huge smile have a special bond. It made sense to the 64-year-old coach to call him first.

“I rang Alex personally to tell him what I was doing. And I told him there was no way in the world I was leaving him,” Bennett said yesterday.

“I told him I’d always be there for him; it wouldn’t matter how many miles were between us.

“I was always ending up back in Brisbane one day and he knows that,” Bennett said, referring to his retirement years.

The Brisbane Broncos are unlikely to terminate Anthony Griffin a year early to accommodate Bennett as he was off contract with Newcastle next year officially.

But when Nathan Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group ceased *ownership of the Knights last month, it made Bennett a relatively free agent.

He announced on Thursday he would not stay for his final year.

St George Illawarra, where Bennett spent three years and won a premiership with in 2010, is back in the hunt for his signature. But Bennett yesterday said he would sit out a season if the right job didn’t come along.

“A year out of the game worries me as the game is changing all the time — you would lose a bit,” he said.

“If I had to take time out, I would, but it’s not my preferred choice.

“Then again I’m not going to take something I don’t want. I’m at that stage of my life that I know what’s good for me.”

The NRL has taken over ownership of the Hunter club creating a new entity: Knights Rugby League Pty Ltd. A recruitment firm was hired a week ago to find suitable local candidates as *directors.

NRL boss Dave Smith said he hoped Bennett would be a part of the process of installing new board members.

“Regardless of whether I was staying or going, I’ve got no right to have a say in the board make-up,” Bennett said yesterday.

“I certainly want to have an input about the (new) coach and the staff that’s already there.

“I’ll put together a short-list of people I think they should be looking at. Just because I’m leaving, I’m not washing my hands of the joint.’’

Bennett said his best memories were the run by the Knights to the preliminary final last year, beating Brisbane, Parramatta, Canterbury and Melbourne before falling to Sydney Roosters.

“Off the field it was the way we handled the Russell Packer and Alex McKinnon situations. Both of them had great difficulties and both of them are still ongoing.

“But I’m extremely proud of the club the way they’ve done the right thing.”

“I think we did it with class and dignity. So I’m proud of that.”

Minh

First Grade
Bennett's not over the line just yet boys and girls.
Still an each way bet. The longer this plays out, the less confident I am.

Chickens, counting and all !

This is the feeling I have too, until it's announced it's anyone's guess.

Agree, there are growing rumors that Cartwright is going to be shown the door even with a year to run on his contract. I'm hearing the loss against lowly Canberra at home was the last straw, particulary with his SOO stars back for that game. Carty is a dead man walking.

Don't be suprised if it ends up being the Titans for Wayne.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
Agree, there are growing rumors that Cartwright is going to be shown the door even with a year to run on his contract. I'm hearing the loss against lowly Canberra at home was the last straw, particulary with his SOO stars back for that game. Carty is a dead man walking.

Don't be suprised if it ends up being the Titans for Wayne.

Henry will take over from Cartwright and the Titans are not exactly flushed with cash. The Broncos are our main threat for us for the Messiahs return. If the Broncos struggle with their tough run to the 8 Griffin will be shown the door. Broncos management will not accept missing the finals 2 years running.

Highland Saint

Juniors
THE first person that Wayne *Bennett told he was leaving *Newcastle after three years was Alex McKinnon.

St George Illawarra, where Bennett spent three years and won a premiership with in 2010, is back in the hunt for his signature. But Bennett yesterday said he would sit out a season if the right job didn?t come along.

?A year out of the game worries me as the game is changing all the time ? you would lose a bit,? he said.

?If I had to take time out, I would, but it?s not my preferred choice.

?Then again I?m not going to take something I don?t want. I?m at that stage of my life that I know what?s good for me.?

.?

This is the quote that concerns me. Couple of those Queensland clubs could be available in 12 months if not sooner

Twenty10

Juniors
Only dragons can muck it up. He's all but officially agreed to come back. Financial drama could f**k it up

Latest posts