What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

TheRev

First Grade
I reckon we should stop speculating/planning a roster assuming Bennett is coming.. Listening to his interview yesterday, he's still working it out, he may well come (if were the last option left) but there's just as much chance he won't, and we will be gutted. Just assume current coach and roster for now..

bottle

Coach
Noname36 said:
Highest bidder.

Can't blame you for being bitter I suppose. However I think Newy fans are underselling the positives he did bring to the club. In the main, a prelim in 2013 which I felt was an over achievement with the squad to hand.
No one can blame Bennett for the 2014 Tinklerisation and annus horibilis that Newcastle have had. Can't even begin to imagine the mental anguish that the situation with Alex has caused him.

My bones tell me it's us.
He had great experiences here.
The fans adored him.
He loves Hornby and Young. He has the chance to tutor and mentor them as coaches. I think he really digs this sort of stuff, working with young men he admires.
Wollongong was a sanctuary for him away from the madding crowd.
Too many positives. I'm feeling good all over.

On leaving the club in a better position and better placed for the future re recruitment and retention. Simple answer, don't make him responsible for it.
Wayne, your job is to recruit for NOW and win NOW. Take what you have, tell us what you need, and target a Premmy. Job done, thanks again and have great life.
Mary (if still in the mix), your job is to watch, listen and learn. As well as that, look to the juniors and other clubs and avenues with a mind to the future. Use Wayne as a sounding board by all means. But succession planning of the playing group is your gig.

I like it.

Noname36

First Grade
Can't blame you for being bitter I suppose. However I think Newy fans are underselling the positives he did bring to the club. In the main, a prelim in 2013 which I felt was an over achievement with the squad to hand.
No one can blame Bennett for the 2014 Tinklerisation and annus horibilis that Newcastle have had. Can't even begin to imagine the mental anguish that the situation with Alex has caused him.

My bones tell me it's us.
He had great experiences here.
The fans adored him.
He loves Hornby and Young. He has the chance to tutor and mentor them as coaches. I think he really digs this sort of stuff, working with young men he admires.
Wollongong was a sanctuary for him away from the madding crowd.
Too many positives. I'm feeling good all over.

On leaving the club in a better position and better placed for the future re recruitment and retention. Simple answer, don't make him responsible for it.
Wayne, your job is to recruit for NOW and win NOW. Take what you have, tell us what you need, and target a Premmy. Job done, thanks again and have great life.
Mary (if still in the mix), your job is to watch, listen and learn. As well as that, look to the juniors and other clubs and avenues with a mind to the future. Use Wayne as a sounding board by all means. But succession planning of the playing group is your gig.

I like it.

Seems I hit a nerve :lol:
You don't need to tell me the positives Bennett brought to the Knights mate. I'm usually the one that has to point them out to the obsessive Bennett haters in the Knights forum. Despite the calls that the Knights are in deep shit I have little doubt whoever walks into the coaching job next has got a good thing there. They're set up for future success which hasn't happened at Bennett's previous clubs.

Don't try and fool yourself into thinking the decision to go back to the Dragons won't be based on money though. There's a reason he'll never go to a club like the GC even though it would be closer to his family. Everyone knows it. Yes there are other positives to the Dragons too but he talks very favourably about the Knights and the fans and Newcastle in general too. Doesn't really mean squat. It's about money. I completely get that, he does have a disabled son after all, but I think most Knights fans (even the ones like myself who are fans) got a bad taste in their mouths about Bennett due to the way he threw the players under the bus publicly to justify his decision.

It shocked a lot of people because it's the complete opposite to what we've come to expect from him. When you think of Bennett you don't think of a guy that would pretty much say "I'm responsible for bringing these shit players to a club but I couldn't be bothered waiting around for the team to be rebuilt and be successful so see ya!" There's more at play there obviously.

bottle

Coach
No nerve hit Noname. Don't know why you interpreted that way. Thought my post was a measured comment actually. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs were more about general forum discussions rather than in response to your post if that is what you were referring to.

Of course money is the primary driver. This is what he does for a living. No surprises there. I usually dismiss the mandatory 'It wasn't about the money' comment out of hand whether it be from a player, a coach, or a manager. It's always about the money.
I get what you're saying about the 'under a bus' stuff as well. One of Bennett's attributes has always been, as you say, to absorb the criticism himself to keep it away from the playing group. As I say, I think this is a much more emotive element playing its part here.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
No nerve hit Noname. Don't know why you interpreted that way. Thought my post was a measured comment actually. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs were more about general forum discussions rather than in response to your post if that is what you were referring to.

Of course money is the primary driver. This is what he does for a living. No surprises there. I usually dismiss the mandatory 'It wasn't about the money' comment out of hand whether it be from a player, a coach, or a manager. It's always about the money.
I get what you're saying about the 'under a bus' stuff as well. One of Bennett's attributes has always been, as you say, to absorb the criticism himself to keep it away from the playing group. As I say, I think this is a much more emotive element playing its part here.

Sorry, I assumed I'd hit a nerve based on the "bitter" comment then your post about the reasons he'd want to go to the Dragons that didn't include money...I apologise if that wasn't the case. My initial comment was just meant to point out that like you said, money is the primary driver, and he'll go to whoever offers the most (you'd assume you guys or Brisbane). I really don't understand why his future is such a source of speculation...he'll go to whoever offers him the most. Simple as that.

I was just pointing out that he would have won more admirers by being upfront about that when leaving the Knights rather than saying what he did about the playing group. For all the talk about how much Bennett would have gone through this year, the players have gone through just as much and they really didn't need him labelling them lost causes as his basis for leaving.

jenninga

First Grade
Sorry, I assumed I'd hit a nerve based on the "bitter" comment then your post about the reasons he'd want to go to the Dragons that didn't include money...I apologise if that wasn't the case. My initial comment was just meant to point out that like you said, money is the primary driver, and he'll go to whoever offers the most (you'd assume you guys or Brisbane). I really don't understand why his future is such a source of speculation...he'll go to whoever offers him the most. Simple as that.

I was just pointing out that he would have won more admirers by being upfront about that when leaving the Knights rather than saying what he did about the playing group. For all the talk about how much Bennett would have gone through this year, the players have gone through just as much and they really didn't need him labelling them lost causes as his basis for leaving.

I have the impression after listening to his interview on MMM that he blames himself totally and as he said it ,he sacked himself.Could be interpreted as a copout,but probably more that he couldn't get any more out of the players and he did what many clubs before have done and parted ways after 3 years.
Don't blame you for being p*ssed off with the situation,but you should have a reasonably competitive squad next season,unlike us who had to start again and have been a mess for over 21/2 years.

Noname36

First Grade
I have the impression after listening to his interview on MMM that he blames himself totally and as he said it ,he sacked himself.Could be interpreted as a copout,but probably more that he couldn't get any more out of the players and he did what many clubs before have done and parted ways after 3 years.
Don't blame you for being p*ssed off with the situation,but you should have a reasonably competitive squad next season,unlike us who had to start again and have been a mess for over 21/2 years.

His exact words were pretty much "I don't go our there and throw the stupid passes or miss the tackles but I hired the guys that do". So yes you could say he is taking responsibility by hiring them, but lets be honest here...he's not. He's putting the onus on the players. By saying he can't wait around the team to be rebuilt and be competitive too is another kick in the guts to them because he's telling the current group they're not good enough.

I'm not pissed off about the situation at all. This is the best spot he could probably leave us in providing he doesn't rip us apart on exit like he did you guys, and the current group will be determined to prove him wrong about them being terrible. Still though the way he's gone about this has disappointed a lot of people. If nothing else I never thought the guy could be knocked for his integrity but I'm starting to seriously reconsider that.

Anyway for all the good things he's gone for the Knights club I wish him the best whether he ends up.

Father Ted

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons' bid for Wayne Bennett may rely on NRL's own money

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-own-money-20140714-zt6o9.html#ixzz37WwKygmv

If Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett returns to St George Illawarra next season, some will question whether the NRL has been outbid by their own money.

Fairfax Media has been told that the seven times premiership-winning mentor was prepared to take a pay cut to remain with the Knights after the collapse of Nathan Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group voided his contract but those now charged with running the club on behalf of the NRL considered $800,000 per season to be too much for a coach.

However, Dragons chief executive Peter Doust does not appear to agree as he is reportedly set to table a $3 million, three-year offer to the coach who guided the club to premiership glory in 2010.
The move has divided opinion across the game and may even lead to a salary cap on coaching staff, with some rival clubs unhappy that a club that has had to borrow more than $2 million from the NRL would now be allowed to pay more for Bennett than the game's governing body was willing to spend.

Others point to the fact that NRL head of football Todd Greenberg was the man who lured Des Hasler from Manly to Canterbury in 2012 on a $3.5 million, four-year deal while in charge of the Bulldogs and ask why more was not done to help the Knights retain Bennett.

For his part, Bennett has said his decision to leave Newcastle was because he had failed to get the best out of the team this season but, after the Knights' third consecutive win in his 700th premiership match against Cronulla on Sunday, he may have made that call too early.
But, by announcing his departure last week, the 64-year-old has effectively declared himself open to offers and heaped pressure on other clubs to determine the future of their coaches if they don't get results in coming weeks.

St George Illawarra are currently the only club without a coach but caretaker Paul McGregor is doing a good job and has won strong support to be appointed full-time after steering the Dragons to four wins in their past five matches and an 18-14 loss to Penrith that was decided on goal-kicking.
However, this column has been told that the reason some at the famous club believe Bennett is worth paying $1 million per season for has as much to do with what he brings off the field as on it, particularly in Wollongong where the Dragons may face future opposition from a new A-League franchise.

FFA chief executive David Gallop recently floated the possibility of a southern Sydney team that could play at Cronulla, Kogarah and Wollongong, while WIN Stadium will next month host a training camp and warm-up match for the A-League All Stars team to play Juventus and this season became home to South Coast Wolves for 11 home games in the NSW Premier League competition.
In contrast, St George Illawarra play just four premiership matches each at WIN Stadium and WIN Jubilee Stadium after deciding to move their four other home fixtures to bigger venues to help the club with cuts in leagues club grants and other financial shortfalls,which have forced them to seek advances of more than $2 million on their grant money from the NRL.

Bennett's supporters at the Dragons say that his return would increase marketing and sponsorship revenue but rival club officials have questioned whether the Red V would be using money borrowed from the NRL to sign him.

"When the NRL is giving you money or lending you money, I am not sure you should be writing a big fat cheque for a coach," one said. "Perhaps the Knights were being fiscally responsible about their current financial position in making sure they made a sensible offer but are the Dragons going to do the same thing?"

A similar debate has been taking place in AFL over the game's "equalisation" policy, under which wealthy clubs forego a portion of their grant that is then distributed among their rivals.
Collingwood CEO Gary Pert told this columnist earlier this year that he had lobbied to have the amount reduced from $2.5 million to $1.5 million because some of the clubs who were benefiting from the top-up were effectively using the Magpies money to pay out sacked coaches and send players on high-altitude training camps in the US.

The AFL recently announced a "soft" cap on the amount of money clubs are allowed to spend on their football departments, including coaches, and there is some support for the NRL to follow suit.
"I think that is the type of philosophical discussion that our game needs to be having," one NRL club boss said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-own-money-20140714-zt6o9.html#ixzz37WwXkTLk

Divine

Bench
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-15/dragons-firm-as-favourites-for-bennett27s-signature/5599024

St George Illawarra Dragons firm as favourites to sign coach Wayne Bennett

Posted 3 hours 20 minutes ago
Photo: Dragons coach Wayne Bennett talks to players during a St George Illawarra Dragons NRL training session held at Kogarah Oval on September 18, 2009 in Sydney, Australia (Matt King: Getty Images)
Map: Sydney 2000

St George Illawarra is shaping as the only likely destination for "out of work" super coach Wayne Bennett.
Bennett shocked Newcastle fans, staff and players last week in announcing he would leave the club at the end of this NRL season after three seasons in charge, with a number of clubs including the Dragons, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Warriors linked to the seven-time premiership winner.
But on Tuesday Cowboys board member and Bennett's son-in-law Ben Ikin ruled out the possibility of the club making an approach to the former Queensland and Australian mentor, saying Paul Green was seen as long-term option in Townsville.
Ikin said Bennett had timed his decision well to best allow a bidding war for his services, but the Dragons, who are reportedly readying to offer a three-year $3 million deal to coach who led them to the 2010 premiership the joint venture, could be the veteran's only option.
The cash-strapped Titans would have to pay embattled John Cartwright out of the final two years of his contract and pay Bennett's salary, which seems unlikely.
The Broncos are another possibility but club legend Gordon Tallis, who has strong links to the Brisbane board including former team-mate Darren Lockyer, says the prevailing thought at Red Hill is that Anthony Griffin has them on the right track and they need to emerge out of Bennett's lengthy six premierships shadow.
The Warriors made a big-money play to Craig Bellamy before he recommitted to Melbourne and are another possibility but Andrew McFadden has turned around the Auckland-based side since Matthew Elliott's sacking in March.
Struggling Cronulla have also been mentioned as a possibility but suspended coach Shane Flanagan recently re-signed for three more years.
Bennett, who now describes himself as "out of work", said he "sacked himself" from the Knights after a disastrous season, which started with the preseason jailing of Russell Packer for assault.
The club remains a slim chance of making this year's finals after falling one game short of the grand final last year.
"(I'm) moving on," Bennett told Triple M.
"... I've been embarrassed up there the way we've played. I've got to take responsibility for that, I'm the coach."
Ikin was adamant Bennett would not end up in Townsville.
"Wayne Bennett's name has not been mentioned. It will not be mentioned," he told 2KY's Big Sports Breakfast on Tuesday.
"It hasn't been discussed.
"He is not an option, he will not be an option. We are very happy with the bloke we employed at the end of last year and we see a bright future for Paul Green up there in the north."

TruSaint

Referee
If it's meant to be.. he will arrive at the Dragons.
I just dont know what to believe at the minute.
Still I believe he has a lot to offer. Where that is?

tumbidragon

First Grade
The media are just trying to milk it for all its worth.
This. They know as much as we do. No one in the media knew Bennett was off to Newy until he wanted them to know. Hopefully we make him an offer he can't refuse ;) If not, so be It. We'll be right with our current squad+ a couple of MONGREL props.

getsmarty

Immortal
'Bennett clause' could cap spending

By Brad Walter

July 15, 2014, 10 p.m.

The NRL is considering a salary cap for football department spending in a move that may impact on the amount of money clubs can pay big-name coaches such as Wayne Bennett.
NRL officials discussed the idea during the recent salary cap review and are monitoring how the amount of money each club spends on its football department translates to on-field success.
The salary cap idea has gained renewed support within the NRL following the AFL's introduction of a "soft" cap on football department spending from next year and Bennett's decision to put himself on the market after announcing last week that he would leave Newcastle at the end of the season.
As revealed by Fairfax Media, those now running the Knights on behalf of the NRL considered $800,000 a season was too much to pay for a coach.
However, St George Illawarra are reportedly preparing to offer Bennett a $3 million, three-year deal, sparking questions from rival clubs about how the Dragons can afford to pay more than the NRL was willing to outlay for a coach after borrowing $2 million from the game's governing body.
Bennett was believed to be on $1 million a season plus bonuses when the Knights were owned by Nathan Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group, while Canterbury reportedly lured Des Hasler from Manly on a $3.5 million, four-year contract.
Club bosses claim those deals and the $850,000 a season that Parramatta outlaid for Ricky Stuart last year threaten to significantly inflate the wages of coaches in coming seasons and some have been pushing for a cap on payments to coaching staff.
An NRL spokesman confirmed the issue was under consideration but said there were no immediate plans to include coaches' wages in a salary cap.
"As part of the recent salary cap review, it was identified that the total football department spend of each club may need to be considered for a separate cap in future,” the spokesman said.
“That would potentially include the coach, head trainer, physios, trainers and other football staff. At this point we have decided not to include them in the salary cap – it will continue to be players’ salaries only.
“However, we will continue to monitor the impact of football department expenditure on performance. Only if we find there is a direct correlation between overall football department spend and the success of the teams would we consider including those wages in a cap. We want to make sure that we continue to maintain the evenness of the competition – as we have done with the salary cap.”
A difference of $5 million in football department spending between clubs prompted the AFL to last month announce the introduction of a "soft" cap from next season.
The cap will be in the form of a luxury tax levied on those clubs who spend $500,000 more than the average outlay on their football departments.
The tax will be imposed at a rate of 37 per cent next season and 75 per cent in 2016, with the revenue raised then distributed among those clubs who do not exceed the salary cap on football department spending.
Meanwhile, Bennett's son-in-law Ben Ikin – a North Queensland director – said the seven-times premiership-winning mentor had not yet decided where he would coach next season but by announcing his departure from Newcastle without having committed to another club he was likely to have a number of options.
"He doesn't know and that's the truth," Ikin told Sky Sports Radio. "I think right now his first intention was to sort things out with Newcastle, which he did late last week.
"The second thing that he has done, and he hasn't said to me as much, but I am assuming this was part of his thinking, is that he has thrown a bit of a hand grenade out there.
"He has basically said to the rugby league world, listen, I won't be in Newcastle next year so if you have got a bit of an appetite for a coach I am looking for a job."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2420098/bennett-clause-could-cap-spending/?cs=2453

The Nick

Bench
I love how Ben Ikin has appointed himself as Bennett's official spokesperson, yet never seems to have a clue what he's talking about.

"I married to Bennett's daughter, he obviously keeps me completely out of the loop because I'm a big mouthed, big noting media identity, so my opinions mean nothing but here they are anyway".

'Bennett clause' could cap spending

By Brad Walter

July 15, 2014, 10 p.m.

The NRL is considering a salary cap for football department spending in a move that may impact on the amount of money clubs can pay big-name coaches such as Wayne Bennett.

those now running the Knights on behalf of the NRL considered $800,000 a season was too much to pay for a coach.

I agree coaches' salary (maybe all the coaching staff) could come under a salary cap. It's a reasonable thing.

but honestly, to justify your argument because one club's decision makers considers an individual's cost to be too high over another club's assessment of worth is paltry

bottle

Coach
I agree coaches' salary (maybe all the coaching staff) could come under a salary cap. It's a reasonable thing.

but honestly, to justify your argument because one club's decision makers considers an individual's cost to be too high over another club's assessment of worth is paltry

Would be even more difficult to police than the players celery cap BFD.
If Uncle Nick wants to give each of the blokes kids a car how can that be monitored?
Again, only clubs that get penalised by this stuff are the ones that lack the clout of the rich clubs.
It's and honorable concept, like Communism. I'm hugely sceptical as to it's successful implementation though.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Wow, the bloke at the dogs who went behind people backs and signed Hasler who had a year to go on his contract at Manly but threw big dollars at him during a finals series, now wants to put a cap on coaches because Saints are trying to lure Bennett who is not contracted to a club next season.

What a joke. Another cap for 15 clubs in the NRL to follow.

Latest posts