What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Mascord has a rant

hutch

First Grade
Mascord is by far the best rugby league journo out there. He is the ONLY one that understands and supports international rugby league and travels the world reporting on rugby league. He reports on the nrl without an agenda and has a genuine love for the sport. If he thinks there is a problem then I would hope somebody listens to him, he only has the sports interest at heart.

TheRam

Coach
Mascord is by far the best rugby league journo out there. He is the ONLY one that understands and supports international rugby league and travels the world reporting on rugby league. He reports on the nrl without an agenda and has a genuine love for the sport. If he thinks there is a problem then I would hope somebody listens to him, he only has the sports interest at heart.

Mate we all know there's a thousand problems, but to sook about it when it is his job to report on it and maybe by constantly highlighting it things can eventually improve, not to take his bat and ball and go home like a little boy.

adamkungl

Immortal
Pity. I think I speak for most people here when I say we love Steve's work. Always a good story or analysis, never goes for muck-raking like most of his colleagues. However it's hard to agree with him and it looks like he's thrown the toys out of the cot basically.

On the Bulldogs - what does he expect to happen. The girl who may or may not be involved has repeatedly and vehemently denied any allegations against Barba, and straight up refused to co-operate with any suggestion that she might have been hit. What can you do? It's her business, not the NRLs and not Steve Mascord's.

As for Canberra and Shillo - Steve is entitled to his opinion, but at the same time you have other commentators (I think Brandy on radio) saying his comments were way out of line. The club is entitled to their action.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Pity. I think I speak for most people here when I say we love Steve's work. Always a good story or analysis, never goes for muck-raking like most of his colleagues. However it's hard to agree with him and it looks like he's thrown the toys out of the cot basically.

On the Bulldogs - what does he expect to happen. The girl who may or may not be involved has repeatedly and vehemently denied any allegations against Barba, and straight up refused to co-operate with any suggestion that she might have been hit. What can you do? It's her business, not the NRLs and not Steve Mascord's.

As for Canberra and Shillo - Steve is entitled to his opinion, but at the same time you have other commentators (I think Brandy on radio) saying his comments were way out of line. The club is entitled to their action.
How about ensuring Barba does the counseling that the club said loud and clear he must do. How about after he leaves halfway through his first appointment and doesn't come back not responding with "oh well".

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...itation-sessions/story-fni3g67w-1226724416472

adamkungl

Immortal

drake

First Grade
Steve is the best Australian RL journo by far in my opinion, but the situation he's facing is a result of administrators trying to protect their business from Steve's much raking colleagues. It becomes an all or nothing approach, where the media are (mostly justifiably IMHO) treated as a necessary evil and the most sanitised and boring lines are said. The sensationalism and beat ups over the years have steadily gotten worse, to the point where the most innocent comment can be stretched to mean anything the 'journalist' is trying to drive. It's sad that he feels that he has to quit covering a sport he loves because of a lack of integrity and truth, but that move itself shows integrity above and beyond the likes of Slothfield and Bourbon Bec. Sook? I don't think so, maybe someone showing a commitment to truth is so alien to people that it has to be a tantrum. He is just fed up of not being able to do his job, the way the whole industry are supposed to.

As to Barba's ex-missus, IF something happened that backs up the mysterious photo, why the hell would she cut her own throat and expose it? The Truth? The truth isn't going to house, feed and clothe their kids. She will be entitled to a minimum percentage of Barba's salary through Child Support. If he's kicked from the NRL and made to try and get a normal job, she will be getting 21% of sweet f**k all. If she leaves the prick and says nothing, she's set for as long as he can play.

I know FA over what happened, but as far as I'm concerned, it's their business. I don't need to have this dragged out in the media. He comes across as a typical iGen wanker regardless of what he did or did not do to his partner, any further muck raking is just going to harm the woman and their kids.

Steve, good luck dude. I've enjoyed your work since you were writing gig reviews way back when. Take a break away from reporting on league and the circus that is modern professional sport, because they are all full of shit, just like every corporation out to maximise profit. As some of the people commenting on the SMH article said, get out and cover grass roots footy. That's real Rugby League, not an entertainment sports version.

Edwahu

Bench
Why not do a bit of leg work and uncover these supposed lies and cover ups like proper Journos are supposed to?

Also it was pretty hilarious to see Weirdler jumping to his defense today.

Last edited:

Glen

Bench
He'll be back pretty quickly when he realises that no one gives a shit he's gone.

Good journo, big league supporter but that article is just self-important bullshit

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why not do a bit of leg work and uncover these supposed lies and cover ups like proper Journos are supposed to?

Also it was pretty hilarious to see Weirdler jumping to his defense today.

He'll be back pretty quickly when he realises that no one gives a shit he's gone.

Good journo, big league supporter but that article is just self-important bullshit

qft

beave

Coach
Steve is the best Australian RL journo by far in my opinion, but the situation he's facing is a result of administrators trying to protect their business from Steve's much raking colleagues. It becomes an all or nothing approach, where the media are (mostly justifiably IMHO) treated as a necessary evil and the most sanitised and boring lines are said. The sensationalism and beat ups over the years have steadily gotten worse, to the point where the most innocent comment can be stretched to mean anything the 'journalist' is trying to drive. It's sad that he feels that he has to quit covering a sport he loves because of a lack of integrity and truth, but that move itself shows integrity above and beyond the likes of Slothfield and Bourbon Bec. Sook? I don't think so, maybe someone showing a commitment to truth is so alien to people that it has to be a tantrum. He is just fed up of not being able to do his job, the way the whole industry are supposed to.

As to Barba's ex-missus, IF something happened that backs up the mysterious photo, why the hell would she cut her own throat and expose it? The Truth? The truth isn't going to house, feed and clothe their kids. She will be entitled to a minimum percentage of Barba's salary through Child Support. If he's kicked from the NRL and made to try and get a normal job, she will be getting 21% of sweet f**k all. If she leaves the prick and says nothing, she's set for as long as he can play.

I know FA over what happened, but as far as I'm concerned, it's their business. I don't need to have this dragged out in the media. He comes across as a typical iGen wanker regardless of what he did or did not do to his partner, any further muck raking is just going to harm the woman and their kids.

Steve, good luck dude. I've enjoyed your work since you were writing gig reviews way back when. Take a break away from reporting on league and the circus that is modern professional sport, because they are all full of shit, just like every corporation out to maximise profit. As some of the people commenting on the SMH article said, get out and cover grass roots footy. That's real Rugby League, not an entertainment sports version.

This.

juanfarkall

Coach
listened to some of the Mascord rant last night and a little today.

I generally enjoy his stuff but wondered a little as to why the Barba/Frod issue was such a big deal to him when there have been a few other "questionable situations" over the 27 years that he was been making a crust from reporting about Rugby League.

He did mention today that he is adopted, but I did not catch if this is something that he only recently discovered (and thus may be a tipping point).

FWIW the Weirdler/Walter cheersquad is sickening.

Brutus

Referee

Agree fully.

He was going on about it on ABC Grandstand today as well. It was very weird, saying he was adopted and 44 years old. Still, I'd prefer to listen to Steve more than anyone else on the radio.

I think old Steve is going through a mid-life crisis. He's a good journo, but needs to stop with the self-importance stuff. I thought Debbie Spillane put him in his place a bit today.

Maybe he should try being an AFL journo in Melb.

P.S it was interesting to hear him hint at why he left the Telegraph. If ever a publication didn't suit Mascord, it was that rag.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Wish we had some actual thoughtful tv show that analysed some big RL issues

Like AFL s "talking footy "

Mascord would be great on a show like that

But TV execs think rl fans are brain dead morons who could not sit thru 1 hour of topical mature discussion

Brutus

Referee
Wish we had some actual thoughtful tv show that analysed some big RL issues

Like AFL s "talking footy "

Mascord would be great on a show like that

But TV execs think rl fans are brain dead morons who could not sit thru 1 hour of topical mature discussion

I crave a show like that.

We seriously do need a show like the one you have just described.

Mascord would be perfect for it.

eozsmiles

Bench
I wrote a post the other day that pretty much said what Steve has said but I linked it directly to a current issue and had no certified links. So it got deleted. Fair enough.

But good to see someone telling it how it is. For the people saying "why don't you uncover the lies etc etc".......seriously.....you are in dream land and only following footy at a "fan" level. That is fun and cool, don't get me wrong. But very naive to think that a journo can just spill the beans on everything they know and then go back to a normal job on monday.

The easiest way to show the white lies is every tuesday when the teams are named and the coaches say everyone is fine. Then a couple pull out thursday and a couple take needles to play on saturday.

If the average fan can't get the truth from a club about a small thing like who is playing this weekend, then what chance of getting the truth on a Barba or Ferguson or salary cap type issue?