What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Menzies to retire

Menzies was an utter champion.

He debuted when I was in Year 11...hard to believe he's still going. Just a pity he left in 2008 and didn't see out the last 5 years here.

And I will always remember the banner at the 2008 GF:

WE LOVE
C. HICKS
BEAVER

Classic!

firechild

First Grade
Menzies was an utter champion.

He debuted when I was in Year 11...hard to believe he's still going. Just a pity he left in 2008 and didn't see out the last 5 years here.

And I will always remember the banner at the 2008 GF:

WE LOVE
C. HICKS
BEAVER

Classic!

Might have been 2007. Hicks left after the 2007 GF, Manly had Williams and Robbo on the wings in '08.

Patorick

Staff member
One thing I never really understood is why he wasn't an automatic selection for NSW and Australia throughout his career?

I know he arguably wasn't the most robust forward and the way he played pretty much as an "edge" forward before such a thing was in vogue was perhaps a bit unusual, but surely being arguably both the best hole-running forward ever AND an all-time great defender was enough?
Manly's woes from 1999-2004 contributed to that a heap.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Someone refresh my memory with one of the best Beaver moments. It may have been slightly before Northern Eagles, they were playing at Brookie against the Dragons. We were up by a few with a minute to go and Dragons made a break and had a player running down the "hill" side of Brookie towards the Northern corner. The Dragons player was about to dive over in the cover and in cover, Beaver bundled him into touch.

POPEYE

Coach
Beaver is too softly spoken to be in the media, the NRL should throw money into making him a referee