What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

Ice777

Bench
Ant said:
Losers: Storm, they aren't getting a new signing, and they lost 2 promising youngsters. Turner, lost cash and some integrity over the whole affair.

Fair enough that you think the Storm are the losers but i'm not exactly sure how. Whether we kept Turner or not, we were never going to get a new signing so close to the start of the season. Besides, we didn't need a new signing regardless of the Turner outcome because we signed up Anthony Quinn months back anyway.

As for losing 2 promising youngsters, well that remains to be seen but we've had Samau in our system for a few years now and he's only managed one game at origin time when we were severely depleted. I know the kid has big wraps on him, but the bottom line is that the Storm has an embarrassment of riches in the backs and with keeping Turner, signing Quinn and getting Slater back hopefully for more than half the season, the fact is that Samau would've really struggled once again to get a game no matter how promising he is. I hope he goes on to play first grade with the Tits because he deserves a shot. It's just a pity he had all those players in front of him at the Storm.

We've signed up our backs for the next few years so it's more than likely he would've moved on come his next contract because of lack of opportunity which you could hardly blame him for. As for Isaac, i don't know as much about him so i can't really comment. But what i do know is we're a 22 year old with NRL experience, a known quantity who scored 18 tries last year and signed him up for a further 3 years. Lets not forget we kept the bloke the Tits originally wanted in Procter who has bigger wraps on him than anyone so i'm pretty comfortable about the deal.

innsaneink

Referee
El Diablo said:
here's another Wadron quote

source http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20936909-23214,00.html

i can't find anywhere Searle saying there could be no compromise in regards to which two players they'd accept

there are however a few quotes from Wally saying Melbourne wouldn't do squat

Theyve both backed down from their original demands, statements etc.....gave a little and metin the middle somewhere, probably more so on melbournes part, rightfully so.
Its obvious though Searle's backed down on Proctor. But as someone else mentioned, i guess because there no link, that means that never happened.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Poor decision imo.

Should have made the blighter sit the season out and stuck to their guns. It just looks like the Gold Coast caved now.

Hardly, looks like they were trying to score a bargain from the outset. "Matter of principle" my f**king ass.

innsaneink

Referee
For all Searles tough guy, chest thumping "I wont back down, the old GC may have...we WONT" ...at the end of the day, their initial desire- Steve Turner- is now playing for melbourne.
Yes, the GC did get compo and two juniors, but they had to change the deal to do this...THEY changed it, they backed down.

lotti

Bench
the Titans also wanted to be the showcase of round 1, sorry Titans but that goes to the Premiers not to the new guys.

aids

Bench
individuals arn't bigger than the game.

pretty much everyone involved in this comes off looking bad.
turner for acting like a child
titans for backing down
storm for pimping out 2 kids and shoveling money to fix their problem.

anyway, it'll be interesting to see if this drama added a bit of spice for the tit vs sto games in the future.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
El Diablo it wasn't the Storm that paid the compo it was Turner.
You keep saying this. Save us some time and give us a link to that.
Reports suggest otherwise.

Renegade winger Steve Turner will play for Melbourne for the next three years after the Storm agreed to pay compensation to Gold Coast in return for the Titans releasing him.

Waldron initially refused to pay Gold Coast any compensation after the NRL sided with the Titans in the tug-of-war for the 22-year-old Turner's services but he finally relented.

The Storm will provide two contracted junior players to Gold Coast - fullback Smith Samau and centre Daniel Isaac - as well as financial compensation in return for allowing Turner to renege on the Titans deal.

It is believed the financial compensation is close to $100,000 - the difference between the Titans' $150,000 deal for Turner and the upgraded offer from the Storm in which he re-signed until the end of 2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Turner-stays-at-Storm-Titans-get-compo/2007/01/15/1168709661462.html

It is understood Smith Samau, who played once for Melbourne in 2006, and Queensland schoolboy Daniel Isaac will be traded to the Titans, with $85,000 compensation also part of the deal.
(Herald Sun)

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=1&ssec=1

These reports sound a lot like the Storm parted with some $. No mention of Turner dipping in.

Happy to be shown another report if you have one.

Timmah said:
Hardly, looks like they were trying to score a bargain from the outset. "Matter of principle" my f**king ass.

So, they get a bargain but look like a bunch of softcocks.

They rolled over in the end, whether it was a CIA-style plan or not.

Its not a good look.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
the Titans also wanted to be the showcase of round 1, sorry Titans but that goes to the Premiers not to the new guys.
Wrong thread? lol

There was a bit of tabloid press around at the time (which sucked a few people in) but the Broncos always had the opening match. The media releases didn't support the rumour. There was nothing official from the NRL or the Titans to support the notion that the Titans were going to play on the Friday night. The Titans media made a point of saying it was a decision for the NRL.

And that's the way how it worked out. The Broncos got the opening match at Lang Park on the Friday, as expected. Storm in a tea cup.

Here...
09-Nov-2006

Titans chief executive Michael Searle last night denied the club had sought the Friday night slot.
He said he had phoned Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen two weeks ago to reassure him the Titans were pushing for a Sunday afternoon debut.
"There might have been transport issues had it been a Friday night game."
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20731290-10389,00.html

As I said, the earlier rumour sucked a few people in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Poor decision imo.

Should have made the blighter sit the season out and stuck to their guns. It just looks like the Gold Coast caved now.
But they wanted the compo and they got it. And they now have Turner stuck in Melbourne. Personally I didnt think the Titans would be that heartless.

El Diablo

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
For all Searles tough guy, chest thumping "I wont back down, the old GC may have...we WONT" ...at the end of the day, their initial desire- Steve Turner- is now playing for melbourne.
Yes, the GC did get compo and two juniors, but they had to change the deal to do this...THEY changed it, they backed down.

lol

but Wally Waldron said they'd get no juniors and no compo.

It seems it's Wally that has realised the error of his ways

Stagger eel

Staff member
El Diablo said:
lol

but Wally Waldron said they'd get no juniors and no compo.

It seems it's Wally that has realised the error of his ways

yep, "Wally" was made to look like a knob in all this...I guess that's because he actually is..

Hoggy

Bench
nqboy said:
So Quinn, who's never played centre, and Inglis (as good as he is) who's never played 5/8, are how you resolve it? You're kidding yourself.

It is common knowledge that Quinn came south, for the chance to become a First Grade centre - and Inglis has been groomed this entire summer to be 5/8.

If you want to reshuffle though...

1. Slater
2. Quinn
3. King
4. Inglis
5. Turner
6. Geyer
7. Cronk

Willow said:
But they wanted the compo and they got it. And they now have Turner stuck in Melbourne. Personally I didnt think the Titans would be that heartless.

I reckon they should have been and stuck to their guns. They shouldn't have offered nor accepted any compromise.

Allowing a player to get out of a contract like that sets a precedent that may bite them on the arse later on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I hear you. But it was getting like days of our bloody lives. I suspect that no one will take Turner on his word again, and that's his problem now. And the Storm's problem for that matter.

As it turns out, the Gold Coast released Turner but the Storm had to buy the contract. Players get released with some regularity, and transfer fees are not unheard of.