What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

lotti

Bench
well according to Waldron if the NRL had said anything along the lines of don't offer him a contract then the contract wouldn't have been offered in the first place.

lotti

Bench
yeah I am, of course we're also speculating about what Steve told the Titans before the announcement of Turner's signing with the Storm.

lotti

Bench
what he actually said, supposedly he rang the Titans up and more or less said sorry guys I'm signing with the Storm.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
yeah but as far as the Storm were conserned Turner was signable because he told them he hadn't signed a contract with the Titans, the NRL had said the Titans hadn't lodged anything with them which they are supposed to within 10 days. Do you think Searle stuffed up here?
The NRL sided with the Titans.

Are you still suggesting the NRL gave the Storm the green light to sign Turner? If so, the NRL proved that wrong when they recognised the Titans contract.

You've already been ripped to shreds over this. Your argument doesn't improve just because its another thread.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
An agreement doesn't have to be signed to be a contract.

To think you've been arguing all this time and still haven't worked that out.

innsaneink

Referee
Willow said:
The NRL sided with the Titans.

Are you still suggesting the NRL gave the Storm the green light to sign Turner? If so, the NRL proved that wrong when they recognised the Titans contract.

You've already been ripped to shreds over this. Your argument doesn't improve just because its another thread.

Isnt Waldron quoted as saying they checked and nothing had been lodged with the NRL by the Titans, so they went ahead and signed him?

Im sure this is the case, and if true then Gallop siding with the Titans despite nothing being lodged is odd, if not, then Waldrons lying....my moneys here....yet Gallops silence on this is deafening.

lotti

Bench
yeah he is and I quote from Karl deKroo's article on the 16th of August.
"Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today.

"We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem."

Willow

Assistant Moderator
innsaneink said:
Isnt Waldron quoted as saying they checked and nothing had been lodged with the NRL by the Titans, so they went ahead and signed him?
Yes, he did say words to that effect, around the 16-17 August, about one day before the NRL sided with the Titans.
But there was no word from the NRL that they endorsed the Storm's move to sign Turner.

innsaneink said:
Im sure this is the case, and if true then Gallop siding with the Titans despite nothing being lodged is odd, if not, then Waldrons lying....my moneys here....yet Gallops silence on this is deafening.
Gallop came out the next day and sided with the Titans. That's hardly being slient about it. He made it clear that as far as the NRL were concerned, Turner made an agreement with the Titans. And it was an agreement that was legally binding - that's really all the NRL had to know.
I thought you were aware of this in one of the other threads.

btw lotti, it appears that I may have got you mxed up with Lowdown. For this I apologise. In my defence, you both seem to be arguing in the same pitch.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti, Are you still suggesting the NRL gave the Storm the green light to sign Turner?

lotti

Bench
it's easy to get confused Willow. ED here's what Turner had to say about speaking to the Titans in the same article I quoted before.
The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said.

"I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either.

"I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons.

"From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."
Waldron is also quoted as saying this
"If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said.

"But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
I'm just quoting what Waldron said in an article.
And Lowdown tried this as well.

Waldron said that over five months ago. He can say what he likes. But the NRL didn't back up his words. The next day, the NRL recognised the Titans contract and told the world that they were not going to register the Storm contract.

So therefore Waldron's "there shouldn't be a problem" comment was clearly found to be lacking in substance. Any such lodgment claims were blown out of the water and afterwards, were rarely used as a defence for the Storm's actions. Its just something a few Storm supporters cling onto now.

innsaneink

Referee
Willow said:
Yes, he did say words to that effect, around the 16-17 August, about one day before the NRL sided with the Titans.
But there was no word from the NRL that they endorsed the Storm's move to sign Turner.

Gallop came out the next day and sided with the Titans. That's hardly being slient about it. He made it clear that as far as the NRL were concerned, Turner made an agreement with the Titans. And it was an agreement that was legally binding - that's really all the NRL had to know.
I thought you were aware of this in one of the other threads.

btw lotti, it appears that I may have got you mxed up with Lowdown. For this I apologise. In my defence, you both seem to be arguing in the same pitch.

I knew the dates wouldve been close, the whole thing is confusing at times.
I guess if it was one day before, then that clears Waldron somewhat from what I thought was blatant lying...Gallops silence on this (Waldron) was what I was referring to.... now I see its understanderble.

lotti

Bench
Willow said:
And Lowdown tried this as well.

Waldron said that over five months ago. He can say what he likes. But the NRL didn't back up his words. The next day, the NRL recognised the Titans contract and told the world that they were not going to register the Storm contract.

So therefore Waldron's "there shouldn't be a problem" comment was clearly found to be lacking in substance. Any such lodgment claims were blown out of the water and afterwards, were rarely used as a defence for the Storm's actions. Its just something a few Storm supporters cling onto now.
yeah but the NRL could've prevented the whole thing by saying he's got a verbal contract we're just waiting for the paper one to be lodged. Something must have happened to make Turner not sign the contract the Titans sent to his manager either he didn't like what was in it or something else.