What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

lotti

Bench
sorry about the links to the Storm's website though it was the first place I could think of that would have both.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
Mr. Angry think of what the Titans got the moment Mat Rogers signed for an extra year and you don't think that played a part in them releasing Turner? Up until yesterday Searle was sticking to his guns about not releasing Steve bam shortly after he announces that Rogers is playing for the Titans for an extra year he announces that they've released Turner
Well there is those numerous media reports over the last month where Rogers looked set to sign with the Titans. That, and the moving to Qld thing. Plus him being released from Union and all. Oh, and he was contracted with the Gold Coast from 2008 already. But no, its all about Turner.

No doubt Rogers agreeing to an extra year was good news for the Titans today but the Turner deal was about compensation, and in the end, Turner and the Storm had to cough up. Their affiliation came at a price.
lotti said:
for a couple of players and the difference between the two contracts.
Two players and reported $100K pay out. Is that all? ;-)
...and the fact that the Titans have been asking for compensation for some time now.
Do you remember the player swap proposal from the Titans? The meeting was about negotiations which Waldron said never happened.

Add it to the list of contradictions which have made their way up the Hume in recent months.
Moffo said:
no need to be condescending willow :cool:
Well here's hoping that its only simple confusion which ails you.
Mr Angry said:
LOL

2 quality juniors and cash and a replacement in Rogers......

Na moffo it was legal stuff......
LOL.

Moffo, why do you think the Storm and Turner paid the Titans compo if they thought they the law on their side?

They never took the Titans to court because they knew they'd lose. Paying the compensation illustrates this fact in terms that surely even you can understand.

Charlie124

First Grade
lotti said:
sorry about the links to the Storm's website though it was the first place I could think of that would have both.

Its all good, its a shame they havnt updated it to include 2006 though. :x

innsaneink

Referee
Sorta makes David Gallop and his, "We will not be registering a contract between Turner & Melbourne."...look fairly useless.

lotti

Bench
Charlie124 said:
Its all good, its a shame they havnt updated it to include 2006 though. :x
they've also not added the new Storm news item to the Storm news bit come on the Storm being able to keep Turner is big news for the club.

t-ba

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Sorta makes David Gallop and his, "We will not be registering a contract between Turner & Melbourne."...look fairly useless.

Err...When you take the statement out of its context relating to a now terminated agreeement with the Titans, it sure does.

It's fun twisting words around!

lotti

Bench
innsaneink said:
What this? Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has held fresh talks with NRL boss David Gallop. But the NRL, which is refusing to register Turner's Melbourne contract, is unlikely to alter its stance. And that was just last week.

innsaneink

Referee
t-ba said:
Err...When you take the statement out of its context relating to a now terminated agreeement with the Titans, it sure does.

It's fun twisting words around!
Not twisting anything, its what he said.
He shouldve been more careful of his words, he is a lawyer isnt he?

t-ba

Post Whore
lotti said:
What this? Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has held fresh talks with NRL boss David Gallop. But the NRL, which is refusing to register Turner's Melbourne contract, is unlikely to alter its stance. And that was just last week.

And the circumstances haven't changed at all have they :roll:.

Keep grasping at that straw lads.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
innsaneink said:
Not strictly in that context.
To put it bluntly, The Titans owned Turner's contract and the NRL recognised this.
It was up to the Titans if Turner was going to be released.
I'm pretty sure you'll find that Gallop said as much, more than once.

t-ba

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Not twisting anything, its what he said.
He shouldve been more careful of his words, he is a lawyer isnt he?

His words were fine in their context. they don't have to stand under the scrutiny of every perceivable scenario, because that's not possible!

t-ba

Post Whore
Now, If Gallop had something like 'Under no circumstances shall we be registering a contract with Steve Turner and the Storm', you'd have an argument.

innsaneink

Referee
t-ba said:
And the circumstances haven't changed at all have they :roll:.

Keep grasping at that straw lads.

Theyve changed for what the Titans initially wanted...Turner....but not for the Storm, yet somehow the Titans have won in this?

lotti

Bench
yeah they have. This from Grahame Annesley "Our position is quite clear. While there is a dispute, we have no intention of registering his contract with the Storm.''
Well there's no longer a dispute.

t-ba

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Theyve changed for what the Titans initially wanted...Turner....but not for the Storm, yet somehow the Titans have won in this?

They've gotten two promising juniors and blood money in exchange for a player that clearly wasn't ever going to actually turn up and play for them.

lotti

Bench
blood money from Turner, not from Waldron. They also have the prestige that comes from having Mat Rogers in the team.

t-ba

Post Whore
Prestige of Mat Rogers?

The only positive he brings to the Titans is Chloe Maxwell. It's enough to get me too a game.

Lowdown

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
I never said Turner was a fringe 1st grader, nor did i express an opinion as to wheather i thought he was worth 2 juniors, in fact i even asked about them because i dont know much about either of them. Nice pot shot though, but ive had better *yawn* :roll:

Riiiiiight.....I wasn't actually suggesting you made any of those comments. Read back through the posts though, and you'll find other people making these points...which is fine.

I was just using your name as an example of an un-intelligent poster ((hope you don't take offence). I guess the fact you didn't get it, helps to prove the point...

Latest posts