What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Turner released, staying in Melbourne

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Quite frankly I think the lot of them are now just waiting for the whole thing to slip into last week.

innsaneink said:
I knew the dates wouldve been close, the whole thing is confusing at times.
I guess if it was one day before, then that clears Waldron somewhat from what I thought was blatant lying...Gallops silence on this (Waldron) was what I was referring to.... now I see its understanderble.
More about trying it on than lying I'd say.

That, and a poor call on Waldron's part. It simply backfired on him the next day. His quote, "there shouldn't be a problem" on August 16 would have to be up there with the best.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lotti said:
yeah but the NRL could've prevented the whole thing by saying he's got a verbal contract we're just waiting for the paper one to be lodged. Something must have happened to make Turner not sign the contract the Titans sent to his manager either he didn't like what was in it or something else.
lol lotti, that'd be the combined science of hindsight and speculation. Might be time to let it go.

DUA

Juniors
Willow said:
An agreement doesn't have to be signed to be a contract.

To think you've been arguing all this time and still haven't worked that out.
I am gunna stick my hand up for Lotti here.
Most of you are bagging Lotti and saying "whats the issue? they had an agreement".

Fact is, Titans buggered up by not signing on the dotted line. PERIOD.
They had ssssooooooooooo much time to do it.
Turner turned around after finding some outstanding game time and a spot with full time storm and basically said.......
'i havn't signed with them, can we talk?'.

whats the issue there? he renegged on an agreement to join that was verbal.
You can place it in the same basket as work place relations. It ain't done til it's signed.

Or how bout this one????
Missus says to you in the morning that a good and proper bed session is due that night, and she changes her mind...........god damn, do we carry on like whats happend this last 6 months.........i don't think so, otherwise, she's gunna end up back with her ex.

Good Luck Steve, kick some butt.

lotti

Bench
boy am I looking forward to round 25 after all a Manly fan likes to dwell on things like the 1997 grand final for instance. Sorry Titans fans but I'm going to be a bad sport, the same with I think round 23 when Melbourne play the Eels at home.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
DUA said:
I am gunna stick my hand up for Lotti here.
And by coincidence its your first post too. lol

Say hi to lotti. ;-)

DUA said:
Fact is, Titans buggered up by not signing on the dotted line. PERIOD.
You don't have to sign a contract to make it legally binding.
If it can proven that an agreement took place (and even Turner said as much), then it is legally binding.

I honestly can't help it if you are unable to understand this.

meltiger

First Grade
Willow said:
You don't have to sign a contract to make it legally binding.
If it can proven that an agreement took place (and even Turner said as much), then it is legally binding.

I honestly can't help it if you are unable to understand this.

Interestingly, alot of Storm supporters seemed to think Melbourne thought they could win in court but the Storm had been instructed by the NRL to stay out of the courts.

Personally, I'm of the same view as most (Even though I wanted and am pleased Steve is staying in Melbourne) regarding verbal contracts, as much as you can be without studying law of course. However, when people keep saying "Why didn't Melbourne go to court", it does throw up an interesting point - Even if Melbourne thought they could win, would it really have been in their wider interests to have a contract ruled invalid?

It was probably wishful thinking on the fans behalf, but I have been wondering if there was ever anything more to it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
meltiger said:
the Storm had been instructed by the NRL to stay out of the courts.
Where did you read that?

meltiger said:
Personally, I'm of the same view as most (Even though I wanted and am pleased Steve is staying in Melbourne) regarding verbal contracts, as much as you can be without studying law of course. However, when people keep saying "Why didn't Melbourne go to court", it does throw up an interesting point - Even if Melbourne thought they could win, would it really have been in their wider interests to have a contract ruled invalid?

It was probably wishful thinking on the fans behalf, but I have been wondering if there was ever anything more to it.

Well I don't think its that complex, and I think you answered it yourself. They would have lost. It would have been very costly for Turner and the Storm in terms of time and money in addition to being a public relations disaster.

Obviously the Storm could see this, that's why they coughed up in the end.

Lowdown

Juniors
Willow said:
btw lotti, it appears that I may have got you mxed up with Lowdown. For this I apologise. In my defence, you both seem to be arguing in the same pitch.

I doing what to the who now? I'm not even in this debate?!?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It another thread Lowdown. Same subject matter. There have been a few. Try not to blow a gasket over it.

meltiger

First Grade
Bring on the 'multi-quote' button :) lol

Willow said:
Where did you read that?

On here mate, Storm fans seemed pretty optimistic Melbourne could win in court.

Willow said:
Well I don't think its that complex, and I think you answered it yourself. They would have lost.

Possibly. All we are going off is what has been stated publicly though.

Willow said:
It would have been very costly for Turner and the Storm in terms of time and money in addition to being a public relations disaster.

I've argued before the Storm have taken no public relations hit at all on this issue. So people in New South Wales and Queensland think Melbourne have acted in a shady fashion, who cares? At the end of the day, are they going to be buying Storm memberships, attending games every week at Olympic Park? nope. So what does it matter.

I promise you, no one in Melbourne cares.

Willow said:
Obviously the Storm could see this, that's why they coughed up in the end.

You're probably right, although they did hold off until they were able to hold onto the junior they wanted.

It's all irrelevant anyway, the saga is over, and I'm only really hypothesising, it's all irrelevant now.

lotti

Bench
what about all the stuff Searle's been saying in the media? Waldron has done the right thing publicly he hasn't sunk down to Searle's level of bagging another club's CEO in the press in fact I think Waldron's been a bit easy on Searle.

knightlover said:
He Paired up with Carmont Last Year who can also Play Wing, So if thats the Case, Hoggy Why didnt they swap? I'm sure if Quinn asked Hages, In atleast One Game they would have tried it.

Dont forget mate, Hagans selection method as parra will discover is the delightful cut and paste!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
meltiger said:
On here mate, Storm fans seemed pretty optimistic Melbourne could win in court.
Oh rightio. Well in that case I hope you don't mind if the grain of salt is applied. :D

The Storm would have lost any such court case.

meltiger said:
I've argued before the Storm have taken no public relations hit at all on this issue. So people in New South Wales and Queensland think Melbourne have acted in a shady fashion, who cares?
If you're confining it to NSW and Qld, then the Storm have taken a PR hit. A fair few League suporters live in those states.
meltiger said:
At the end of the day, are they going to be buying Storm memberships, attending games every week at Olympic Park? nope. So what does it matter.
I share your hope that the Melbourne crowd figures will improve.

meltiger said:
I promise you, no one in Melbourne cares.
Except for those you mention.

I don't recall ever thinking the Melbournian care factor was the issue. So I'm not sure of the relevance.

meltiger said:
You're probably right, although they did hold off until they were able to hold onto the junior they wanted.
I know I'm right. They definitely coughed up in the end, which is what I said.

meltiger said:
It's all irrelevant anyway, the saga is over, and I'm only really hypothesising, it's all irrelevant now.
Yep. Agreed.

innsaneink

Referee
I heard a report on radio this morning that one thing Waldron didnt tell Searle was that Daniel Isaac has a bung shoulder and will be out of action for some time, think they mentioned surgery, but I may have misheard as I was LOLing too much.

El Diablo

Post Whore
c'mon inky, every man and his dog knows Sattler is the only reason you carry on like a two year old.

the fact you actually think anyone gives a rats about your thoughts is always a great source of amusement to the forum

please don't stop

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: Searle got his pants pulled down again, has he?
Isaac with the benji shoulder... now thats gold :lol:
wonder if the storm will forward on his medical costs to the titans