What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stewart, Watmough and Matai

The Pip

Juniors
They are still sooking about Glenn Stewart.

They took unders for years to stay at Manly. They didn't stay for the club. They didn't stay for the world class board members(lol). Or the small crowds or the relatively small budget the club runs on. They stayed for each other. And now that bond has cracked.

You are dead right yet again - they all wanted to stay together and win comps, and they all feel Glen Stewarts' pain in having to join a team with nearly half a century of failure.:lol: They will get over it all when their contracts are extended.

Charlie124

First Grade
And people call the cowboys sooks. f**ken hell did they think they'd just all stay together forever? Have they bought houses next door to each other like an NRL themed Ramsay street?

Hutty1986

Immortal
You are dead right yet again - they all wanted to stay together and win comps, and they all feel Glen Stewarts' pain in having to join a team with nearly half a century of failure.:lol: They will get over it all when their contracts are extended.

You do realise you just quoted Bunniesmong, right?

--Storm--

Juniors
Stewart brothers are the biggest sooks around, obviously he could have stayed but for Manly not too keep him he must have wanted too much cash, Matai just wants to be released to go to the Warriors for big cash and Watmough is all talk, he won't leave, he can't afford too, no sure thing he'll get picked up elsewhere, definitely for not the same money.

tumbidragon

First Grade
How in the hell is Watmough on 900K next season!? Backended? That's an outrageous sum of money if true.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
So if Watmough is granted a release what happens with their cap next year? I know if a player is moved on the club has to still count any of the players salary not covered by their new club, but what happens in a case like this where the player asks for the release?

Smirrors

Juniors
Honestly i think the players have missed the point. Let Glenn go off and earn good money at Souths. At the end of the day it shouldn't change anything. They will all still head to the pub after for a beer.

Manly's decision not to offer Glenn a contract was simply a salary cap constraint. Every team does it. Why hold your team and fans to ransom simply because you cant have your way, it seems pretty childish. If the players aren't happy, they should be complaining to the NRL about the salary cap.

eozsmiles

Bench
Watmough should have sacked his manager. Don't think anyone would front up enough cash to take him next year. I'm assuming Manly wouldn't want to contribute too much. Not sure how it all works out but apparently some of his massive deal next year is back payments for rep bonuses etc. Perhaps he is entitled to them even if he does walk, since it is pay he has kind of already earned. It will be in the fine print.

eozsmiles

Bench
So if Watmough is granted a release what happens with their cap next year? I know if a player is moved on the club has to still count any of the players salary not covered by their new club, but what happens in a case like this where the player asks for the release?

They do a deal with the club. Any payout counts towards next year's cap pretty much. With other clubs unlikely to front up $900k, it is up to Manly whether they want to help everyone out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They do a deal with the club. Any payout counts towards next year's cap pretty much. With other clubs unlikely to front up $900k, it is up to Manly whether they want to help everyone out.

Well they could contribute say $250k, get a decent young forward on $500k and still be better off.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Braith Anasta said on Sportsnight he knows there are players at Manly who don't like each other lol Braith the new mole.

Michael Bishop

Juniors
No doubt several of the players who've had to take paycuts are pissed off with Cherry-Evans. Personally I wouldn't be too upset if Watmough was to leave as his best days are behind him, unlike Matai and Stewart who are still classy players. No disrespect for Watmough who has been a great servant for the club over a long period but he's not the player he was.

No doubt several of the players who've had to take paycuts are pissed off with Cherry-Evans. Personally I wouldn't be too upset if Watmough was to leave as his best days are behind him, unlike Matai and Stewart who are still classy players. No disrespect for Watmough who has been a great servant for the club over a long period but he's not the player he was.

Same goes for all three. If I could sign any of them to a three year deal, I'd probably take Watmong over the other two.