What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky appointed fill time NSW coach

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ricky Stuart is returning to the State of Origin hot seat

RICKY Stuart will sign a two-year deal today as the first full-time coach of the NSW Origin team.

Stuart is the last NSW coach to win a series against Queensland when his Blues won in 2005.
Ever since, the Maroons have dominated and Stuart must now arrest a five-year losing streak.
Consequently, Stuart, 43, is taking on one of the highest-pressure jobs in the game.
The former Test coach is greatly respected by the players and it appears now he will also have greater powers than any other Blues coach before him.
After the NSWRL commissioned the NRL research board chairman and former Roosters chief executive, Brian Canavan, to pick over the failed 2010 NSW Origin campaign, it was mooted that the number of selectors would be reduced from the present four. To date the NSW coach has never been a selector. Previously if the four selectors were deadlocked, NSWRL chairman Colin Love had the deciding vote.
Start of sidebar.

But it's understood Stuart will be one of two selectors -- the other vote coming from the newly created chief adviser position. For the past five Origin campaigns, the four NSW selectors have been Bob Fulton, Laurie Daley, Bob McCarthy and Geoff Gerard. Daley resigned in July this year after the third game.
Fulton's name has been linked to the adviser role as has former NSW coach Phil Gould.
Gould has already said his Origin days are over after he became the Blues' most successful coach, leading NSW to 14 wins from his 24 matches in charge.
Stuart took over from Gould and helped NSW to a hat-trick of series wins.
Stuart was sacked by the Roosters in 2006 and moved to Cronulla in 2007. He was given a release in May this year from the final year of his contract.
Since then the three-time premiership-winning player has been a free agent.
Stuart has made no secret of the fact he wants to coach another NRL club -- his third. That desire reportedly was one of the points that needed negotiation before Stuart agreed to return to the Blues. It is understood if an NRL position opens up for the 2012 season, Stuart has the option in his Origin contract to ask for a release.
And with seven coaches off contract next year -- Wayne Bennett (St George Illawarra), David Furner (Canberra), Tim Sheens (Wests Tigers), Cronulla (Shane Flanagan), John Lang (South Sydney), John Cartwright (Gold Coast) and Matt Elliott (Penrith) -- there could be some options opening up.
Another two NRL coaches could be precariously placed if their teams have performance lapses again -- Ivan Henjak (Brisbane) and Neil Henry (North Queensland).

clicky sticky

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
full time job effective immediately

so what is he doing today to prepare of coach the blues for 3 games they have to play in the middle of nest year ?

he doesn't have a team to coach, it hasn't been selected yet, seems overkill to me

Atleast he isn't coaching an NRL team which is a start but his Cronulla bias will be strong Snowden, Douglas, Gallen, Tupou and Bird will all play.

watatank

Coach
He'd probably have to put together an emerging squad like QLD do.

I don't think he is the right choice of coach tbh because I think we need a coach to take time developing a strong squad. Stuart is only good if the team is already there and he can just get them up for the battle.

I think the release option is bullsh*t. It's a halfarsed way of doing things.

As for Fulton being a potential advisor, that's the biggest joke of all. What's going to change if he (or any other selector for that matter) if he's still there?

watatank

Coach
Atleast he isn't coaching an NRL team which is a start but his Cronulla bias will be strong Snowden, Douglas, Gallen, Tupou and Bird will all play.

Apart from maybe Tupou (who'd play off the bench anyway if there), I think most would agree the rest are pretty good choices for Origin

mrpwnd

Bench
Is he even good?
We won in 2005 on the back of some great talent whereas atm we've got some piss poor players likely to grab a few spots for the blues.
He couldn't coach the nuffies at the Sharks, what's gonna change now that he's coaching a bunch of nuffies for the blues?

Big Pete

Referee
Either way I think this selection is a much better selection over Bellamy who's had his hands tied with the Storm over the past few years.

As a Queensland fan, I was worried with the appointment of Meninga due to his club record but he's proved to be a revelation for the Maroons, Stuart could have a similar effect on the Blues.

As TT pointed out, I'd only be worried if he started showing favouritism to players like Tupou and co.

Either way I hope this appointment helps restore some pride in the Blues camp.

Yosh

Coach
But Tupou has been terrible for a while now. As others said Gallen, Bird and Snowden are good enough to be on the team.

I'm personally just glad that we have a full-time coach and gotten rid of the stupid board. Took them long enough though...

blackandwhite

Juniors
full time job effective immediately

so what is he doing today to prepare of coach the blues for 3 games they have to play in the middle of nest year ?

he doesn't have a team to coach, it hasn't been selected yet, seems overkill to me

I think he will be working on a bit of self education ....."Coaching a Rugby league team for Dummies"

"How to coach a football team without Brad Fitler and/or Andrew Johns"

"Seriously i do know How to coach...It's in my notes here somewhere"

HellAwaits

Juniors
here comes #6, the only way they could have made a worse decision is to put Sheens there when he gets the ass as Aust. coach.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Either way I think this selection is a much better selection over Bellamy who's had his hands tied with the Storm over the past few years.

As a Queensland fan, I was worried with the appointment of Meninga due to his club record but he's proved to be a revelation for the Maroons, Stuart could have a similar effect on the Blues.

As TT pointed out, I'd only be worried if he started showing favouritism to players like Tupou and co.

Either way I hope this appointment helps restore some pride in the Blues camp.

Agreed. I think he is a good selection too.

I like what he did with Australia too, just the 2 loses but he had the halves, hooker and fullback all playing in such great sync with each other. It was really good to see the plays he came up with, especially involving Slater and Lockyer.

Despite losing the World Cup, I thought in the games before hand, with a rather weak squad, they played tremendous.

Direct

Juniors
He was lucky in 05. Im sure it was on the back of Johns that we won in 05 after losing game 1.

You are correct. Game 1 was pretty close if not that incept by Matt Bowen, but Johns really stamped his dominance on the series in games 2 and 3. That being said, legends have been based on shallower footing, such as Phil Gould's supposed coaching brilliance.

I'm happy for Stuart to give a crack, if only based on the hope he won't keep selecting nuffies, pillows and hasbeens from Newcastle, Manly and the Dragons.

super_coach

First Grade
Another step backwards by the blues. Sticky is the last bloke the Blues need.NSW will never beat the Cane Toads playing "Ricky football"
. They need a coach that implemented a skill based game with Epimethius on attack. Ricky football will be playing into their hands once again.

Lambretta

First Grade
Another step backwards by the blues. Sticky is the last bloke the Blues need.NSW will never beat the Cane Toads playing "Ricky football"
. They need a coach that implemented a skill based game with Epimethius on attack. Ricky football will be playing into their hands once again.

What is Ricky football? As far as I can see it's built on a high error rate and conceding a massive penalty count.

If anyone is deluded enough to think that Ricky Stuart is anywhere near the best man to lead the Blues they want their head read.

I'd rather have a committee made up of Haynetrain, Raiders_Premier and a carrier bag full of dog sh*t.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ricky Stuart said:
I can't remember the last time I saw a NSW businessman heading to the game in his Blues jersey: Ricky Stuart
By Ricky Stuart
The Daily Telegraph November 18, 2010 11:31AM

No Origin coach has gone into a series after five straight defeats, or against a team that is as dominant as Queensland are at the moment.
Ten of the 13 players who started in last Saturday's Kangaroo team, as example one, were from Queensland.
They held all the key positions, and their depth in those areas is strong.
It's not the losses that concern me, though. That's just football.
The job ahead is for NSW football, and how we resurrect it, and it's a job the NSW board believed deserved a fulltime coach and it's a job where, as that fulltime coach, I need your help.
For a long time the success of Origin football has dipped and soared on the strength of the Queensland team. When the Blues dominated, interest in Origin waned somewhat. It was never as strong as when Queensland won. But now they have won five series in a row and completely dominate the Test team with no end in sight.
After my appointment on Wednesday the resurrection starts now. It has to.
And it starts with you.
I still remember driving from the airport to Suncorp Stadium before Game II this year, looking at the grown men walking along the footpath to the game, in their good dress pants and their Queensland jumpers. We don't have that kind of support in NSW. It has always been something uniquely Queensland.
We have struggled to have that as fans and along the way I think we have slowly lost that as a team, the sense that Origin is something bigger.
I've never believed for one moment that the Queensland Origin team has more passion, as they always tell us, than the NSW Origin team.
Not among the players.
But outside that you might have an argument.
I can't remember the last time I saw a NSW businessman heading to the game in his Blues jersey.
Every time a junior Queensland player puts a football jumper on he hopes that one day it will be a Queensland jumper he is putting on.
It is ingrained in them.
They're already thinking about Origin.
I know Craig Bellamy was as thorough as a coach could be over the past three series.
I believe he simply came up against one of the great Queensland teams and that history has forgotten how a loose pass here or one missed tackle (a Johnathan Thurston show and go, for example, for a Billy Slater try in 2008), turned it from a winning series into a losing one.
I go back to a mountain of errors early in Game II, 2009, which saw the series over before they even got the chance to compete for it.
Then you remember Game III, 2006, the series wrapped up until a loose Brett Hodgson pass allowed Darren Lockyer to steal it at the end.
That's how close it was. In two of those five losing series, one moment changed the game.
But to beat Queensland we can't have our sole intention being to out-skill them, or out-talent them.
We have to do everything better and smarter.
It has to begin to mean as much to us in this state as it does in Queensland, because I want my players to feel it from the fans.
Then it's up to us to do the rest.
One call I remember from my time as NSW coach in 2005 came from Trevor Gillmeister after we won Game III to take the series.
"They out-Queenslanded Queensland," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...sey-ricky-stuart/story-fn31yxah-1225955493831

Yosh

Coach

Realisitcally what are the options though?

timka4

Bench
So 1st day on the job and he's begging the fans to help him?

Why? At long last is this the admission that he hasn't got a f**king clue?
I think he is just trying to make sure that a lot of the casual NSW fans aren't thinking that he is going to be our saviour. He also emphasised that he wanted more support from the NSW community. I think he is trying to make the state feel more involved in origin

Latest posts