What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm brews as Knights kidnap rising star.

The Colonel

Immortal
Source: Big League page 66. Round 19 Edition 15/7/2004

Of all the NRL clubs, the Melbourne Storm have had to work the hardest when it comes to grass roots development.

That's why, when some of Victoria's rising stars were courted by Newcastle at the under-15's Aust, Schoolboys tournament last month, they were understandably upset.

Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan slammed the Hunter-based club afterhearing promising 15 year old fullback Beau Ryan had signed a scholarship deal with the Knights.

"They have the greatest heartland of rugby league in their own backyard and they come and throw scholarships at kids from Victoria"

"Its ridiculous to say the least. They've recruited from the Northern Territory and Western Australia and now they're trying to recruit from Victoria when they have the best kids in the country running around in the Hunter region".

More available in Big League.

Seems Newcastle love to whinge when players leave their district to play and be developed at other clubs - Luke Burt, Ryan O'Hara, Anthony Tupou, Brett Finch, Willie Mason among others - however they aren't adverse to doing the same to other clubs.

Seems to smell of double standards.....

Johns Magic

Referee
It's a first. It's not like we pinch everyone's juniors consistently. We are consistently taken from and now we're finally doing something about it.

The Colonel

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
It's a first. It's not like we pinch everyone's juniors consistently. We are consistently taken from and now we're finally doing something about it.

:lol:

Just the type of response I expected. :roll:

Lang Park

Juniors
I suppose the kid can play where he likes but still its a blow to rl in victoria,they should leave them for the storm.

drake

First Grade
Storm should have first pick of Vic players. As much as I hate them, Victorians aren't going to get behind the storm until there is local product in the team.

edited, typing whilst eating Krispy Kreme = muchos typos.

Johns Magic

Referee
Colonel Eel said:
Don't see where I need one. I've posted my thoughts.

Which are what. You stated that we are always whinging about losing juniors to other clubs, players such as ''Luke Burt, Ryan O'Hara, Anthony Tupou, Brett Finch, Willie Mason among others''.

And we get one junior from another club and you're acting like we are criminals? We've still lost a hell of a lot of players.

Why can all the other clubs do it but not us?

reladith

Juniors
Storm should have first pick of Vic players. As much as I hate them, Victorians aren't going to get behind the storm until there is local product in the team.

Crap. If thats the case lets make it the same for all clubs. The storm get eough support with the funds employed by News Limited.

I can see it now, Kimmorley, onto Bird, onto Burt who puts McDougall in for a try, thats gives the premier league team first bood here at EAS tonght!

Kiwi

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

Which are what. You stated that we are always whinging about losing juniors to other clubs, players such as ''Luke Burt, Ryan O'Hara, Anthony Tupou, Brett Finch, Willie Mason among others''.

And we get one junior from another club and you're acting like we are criminals? We've still lost a hell of a lot of players.

Because like the Dragons they over pay a select few to keep them at the club. The Knights could have let Joey go along with Kennedy and kept pretty much everyone else and still looked pretty good for next year, but they went all out to keep Joey, which along with some contract upgrades pretty much cancelled out Kennedy leaving. Forcing guys like Ennis and Tahu to leave for better money.

Plus why would a guy like Ennis stay? You have K Gidley, Johns and Buderus all playing in his positions, even Abraham at lock ahead of him too. Johns leaves all of a sudden Ennis has a spot he can go for, and probably would have stayed.

Sorry wrong topic, was replying to another at the same time.

Didn't the Knights get the likes of O'Davis and Buderus from other regions?

Johns Magic

Referee
Kiwi said:
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

Because like the Dragons they over pay a select few to keep them at the club. The Knights could have let Joey go along with Kennedy and kept pretty much everyone else and still looked pretty good for next year, but they went all out to keep Joey, which along with some contract upgrades pretty much cancelled out Kennedy leaving. Forcing guys like Ennis and Tahu to leave for better money.

Plus why would a guy like Ennis stay? You have K Gidley, Johns and Buderus all playing in his positions, even Abraham at lock ahead of him too. Johns leaves all of a sudden Ennis has a spot he can go for, and probably would have stayed.

First of all, Ennis was hell-bent on playing hooker.

Secondly, what is your point? We are talking about juniors being stolen, not established first-graders.

Kiwi

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
Kiwi said:
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

First of all, Ennis was hell-bent on playing hooker.

Secondly, what is your point? We are talking about juniors being stolen, not established first-graders.

Sorry wrong topic, was replying to another at the same time.

Didn't the Knights get the likes of O'Davis and Buderus from other regions?

The Colonel

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

Not criminal for going out and attracting juniors - your club can do it - never said they couldn't. However, the main thing I was alluding to was the Knights supporters that contuinually whinge that "Enter club name here" ripped off our best junior players when it happens to them. I was pointing out the double standard that occurs when a player from the Newcastle area goes to another club for money, development or a shot at first grade.

Kiwi

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

Not criminal for going out and attracting juniors - your club can do it - never said they couldn't. However, the main thing I was alluding to was the Knights supporters that contuinually whinge that "Enter club name here" ripped off our best junior players when it happens to them. I was pointing out the double standard that occurs when a player from the Newcastle area goes to another club for money, development or a shot at first grade.

It was posted in another topic that O'Davis ( obviously ), Buderus and Woolnough all came from outside the Knights junior area.

Johns Magic

Referee
Colonel Eel said:
Johns Magic said:
Colonel Eel said:

Perhaps. But we are not serial offenders. We have still lost so much and gained so little.

The Colonel

Immortal
O'Davis, Buderus, Woolnough, Carmont (came from NZ but had played the year previous for Raymond Terrace), Seage, Kennedy, Parsons......

Johns Magic

Referee
It was posted in another topic that O'Davis ( obviously ), Buderus and Woolnough all came from outside the Knights junior area.

O'Davis moved to Newcastle when he was young apparently. Below the age of 10.

Buderus came to Newcastle as a 17 year old after previously being at the Dragons. I am not sure that we pinched him.

Woolnough is a local junior.

The Colonel

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
Perhaps. But we are not serial offenders. We have still lost so much and gained so little.

But your not alone and if anything your club's management is more to blame for that problem than any other factor...

Johns Magic

Referee
Colonel Eel said:
Johns Magic said:

But your not alone and if anything your club's management is more to blame for that problem than any other factor...

Yes, but now they are doing something to address it and that is good.