What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

Yosh

Coach
Reading over some of the posts and thinking a little I definately agree with Scarves. However I am sure if the NRL had taken their time to come up with a suitable punishment that was not as harsh, many people would have blamed them for being too easy going and lenient etc. The Storm have put the NRL in a pickle and honestly I did not expect much more from them either than such a knee jerk reaction.

On the other hand I do believe a harsh punishment is only fair. Furthermore the betrayal the Storm fans must be experiencing must be very tough, you guys have my condolances (is that the right word to use?)

On a brighter note: Who'd everyone wanna poach? Obviously GI first right that guy is a GOD!

Perth Red

Post Whore
In their haste to slap the wrists I just hope the NRL hasn't cut its own throat and destroyed the Storm with the penalties they have imposed. I've no problems with the stripping of the premierships but killing this season when the Storm needed the momentum moving into the new stadium and are desperately searching for a new owner could sound the death bell, especially on top of $1.6mill they have to find to pay the penalties off. I just hope News don;t see this as a golden chance to cut them lose or its bye bye National RL.

RABK

Referee
It's interesting but i see lot of similarities to 2002.

Everyone thought...

a) It would be open season on the Dogs roster
b) The Dogs would not recover for a long time

Now there are certain differences eg the Dogs been in League heartland, the extent and success bred from the breach etc but i wouldn't be suprised to see...

a) The storm players, like the Dog players in 02, offer to have paycuts to keep their side together
b) Be Competive next year again and make/Win a Grand Final within the next two years. (Dogs 04)

It really depends on Bellamy and his players - if they come out of this united and enter the 2011 comp legitimately i can see what is undeniably a massively talented squad finding the guts and hunger within their new Stadium to continue to be a dominant force.

The best way they can finish their season is with their usual 17 or 18 wins and 0 points. People will speculate about players walking out, not turning up or not putting in, and while the emotion of it is still raw they may very well be considering that, but when it sinks in after a week or two they'll still have 20 or so mates and a father like coach they'll want to play for and beside.

Good luck to them.

Last edited:

pcpp

Juniors
What the NRL should of done instead of keeping the Storm on 0 points all year, they should've given them a 48 point deduction.

A token gesture like this would have the same effect but would've given the team and their fans something to play for.

seanoff

Juniors
The best way they can finish their season is with their usual 17 or 18 wins and 0 points. People will speculate about players walking out, not turning up or not putting in, and while the emotion of it is still raw they may very well be considering that, but when it sinks in after a week or two they'll still have 20 or so mates and a father like coach they'll want to play for and beside.

Good luck to them.

there is no way known they'll bother. There'll be players out with stubbed toes, etc. There is no point competing if you are competing for nothing. take a year off, get yourself rested and right for 2011

it would be difficult to in a close game to find that extra gear to try and win. in fact it would be difficult to muster up the enthusiasm to even go out.

Does the Storm have any legal avenues open to them to have the penalty overturned?

High Court? Supreme Court?

Can't see them appealing at all. I think they were involved in the serverity of the punishment with the NRL, I believe these discussions have been going on for a week. They will accept the penalty and try to re-build.

RABK

Referee
there is no way known they'll bother. There'll be players out with stubbed toes, etc. There is no point competing if you are competing for nothing. take a year off, get yourself rested and right for 2011

it would be difficult to in a close game to find that extra gear to try and win. in fact it would be difficult to muster up the enthusiasm to even go out.

Salary cap may have brought/kept them together but the professionalism they display on the field is a culture instilled by Bellamy.

Maybe Bellamy will tell them to leave their hearts at home because they are playing for nothing or maybe, just maybe, he'll pull them together and lay it out to them - they aren't playing for Glory but respect and to state "Yes our admin rorted the cap and we are sorry but rorting the cap did not buy the professionalism and desire we have shown on the field as players"

MightyBronco

Juniors
Lol, this makes the Broncs premiership in 06 even more sweeter!

(ahh.. the good old days, how much i miss them..)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-checks-waldron-at-saints-20100422-tfyo.html

AFL checks Waldron at Saints
CAROLINE WILSON
April 23, 2010

THE AFL will investigate St Kilda players' contracts during Brian Waldron's stewardship of that club from 2002 until 2004.

The Age understands investigator Ken Wood interviewed Waldron in 2003 over the Saints' departed ruckman Peter Everitt, who demanded more than $100,000 from his former club as he tried to recover money from his old contract. The Everitt case is expected to be looked at again.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou last night confirmed that Wood, who is currently on leave, and football operations boss Adrian Anderson would approach the Saints in a bid to clarify any possible discrepancies that might have taken place during Waldron's time as CEO at Moorabbin.

The former Melbourne Storm boss who was described by News Limited chief John Hartigan as ''the architect'' of that club's salary cap cheating, worked at St Kilda with Matt Hanson, the acting Storm CEO who has stood down.

It has also emerged that North Melbourne's chief financial officer, Cameron Vale, is one of the five past and present Storm officials being targeted by NRL investigators. Vale crossed to the Kangaroos from the Storm in 2008. Club chairman James Brayshaw and CEO Eugene Arocca did not return calls last night.

Everitt had joined Hawthorn on a new three-year deal in 2003 when he claimed he had relinquished a significant amount of money from his old club several years earlier when he renegotiated and extended his agreement with the Saints. His bid proved fruitless but raised the eyebrows of the AFL's investigating team which did not uncover any salary cap discrepancies at the time.

Adrian Anderson said last night: ''We don't like to talk about which clubs we might be looking at where Ken is concerned, but Ken's open to make whatever inquiries he likes to make. He might want to ask some questions and check on things and in a situation like this where there is a link I'd imagine he might ask some questions.''

St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold said he welcomed any investigation. ''The St Kilda Football Club works closely with the AFL on its total player payments and in that regard we don't have any issues. If the AFL wants to look at anything at any point in time they should do so.''

Yesterday's AFL meeting with all 18 club CEOs was upstaged in its final 10 minutes by the Storm revelations. Media boss Patrick Keane broke the news of the club's savage punishing by the NRL as talks wound up with significant support for an October grand final.

The AFL also assured clubs that each would receive a minimum of six weeks between their two byes and floated a conference system for the NAB competition next season with three groups of teams - two of six teams and one of five.

AFL CEO Demetriou was last night receiving regular updates on the Storm scandal. Earlier this year the AFL attempted to cap third-party payments to footballers in negotiation with its players' union but that bid met strong resistance and failed during talks to introduce free agency.

RABK

Referee
Oh and Imagine the feeling those players would feel if they did win the comp next year - it'd be the biggest sense of redemption- Andy Dufresne eat your heart out.

I can only imagine how Mason, Anasta, Price etc and the Dogs fans felt after 2004.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...dont-fit-wear-it/story-e6frfgh6-1225857168985

If the salary cap don't fit, wear it

* By Paul Kent
* April 23, 2010 12:00AM

NEVER has the NRL been so brave, and never has it been more perfect.

The Melbourne Storm kept two sets of books and in doing so caused the greatest upheaval in the game since the Super League war, and some say beyond even that.

Two sets of books ...

Kind of like Al Capone.

And like Capone, somebody will end up in jail.

At the highest level of business, it is fraud. On the football paddock it is cheating.

Salary cap auditor Ian Schubert, until now widely underestimated, has emerged as the great unsung hero.

In one sweep of the axe he has exposed his power to the clubs and the repercussions of dismissing Schubert as no danger. It is a solid warning of the capabilities of the NRL.

It began with a whistleblower.

When Schubert found a secret file in a room where the Storm kept all their records.

The file contained smoking guns such as letters of offer.

When Schubert inspected the letters of offer he found the amounts differed from the amounts on the players' contracts.

The Storm administration tried to pass this off as merely a draft. But Schubert kept digging. He called his contacts, who told him he was focusing on the right areas, don't be thrown off.

He found work being done by tradesman on behalf of the club and when he looked for evidence of the work, could not find it. So where was that money being paid?

It was going to the players.

The Storm cheated by $1.7 million over the five years that included their two most recent premierships and their three most recent minor premierships.

Those triumphs had to be taken from them.

They are $700,000 over the cap this year.

Asked yesterday what the Storm must to do to be welcomed back as equal contenders next season, Gallop was direct.

"Certainly by the 2011 season they need to be operating within the salary cap," he said.

"How they do that? I'm not sure at this stage."

But Gallop is cluey. In 2002 Canterbury was found to be breaching the salary cap and, in hindsight, the NRL made an error that failed to deal with the breach properly.

Which is why Canterbury's 2004 premiership should be forever marked with an asterisk.

The premiership they won when they shouldn't have.

To understand why, you have to go back to the beginning.

In times of recruitment, no player ever leaves a club where he is happy unless he is offered more to go elsewhere.

The Bulldogs did this to lure the likes of Andrew Ryan, Mark O'Meley, Braith Anasta, Luke Patten and Willie Mason.

All came from other clubs to the Bulldogs.

For those of us with a little hair in our ears, it is not that far back that there was a great gnashing of teeth when Greg Inglis was up for contract and looked ready to try rugby union.

No other NRL club could afford to poach him.

Well, now we know how they got the money to keep him.

Gallop has also moved to close that loophole.

The Storm is not allowed to reduce player payments to retain their roster.

They must sack players.

Some will try to argue that it is not the players' fault - and it's not.

They will argue others diddled the figures, and they did.

So why shouldn't they be the ones to pay the price?

Because it doesn't work like that. Why should every other team play against $4.9 million in talent unfairly assembled, just so they can stick together to win a premiership before taking off for the cash.

And buckle down, because the news gets worse.

While they have $700,000 in secret payments in this year's cap, next year they will be even higher, given balloon payments and incentive deals.

The other question pertains to this season.

How much of this illegally paid for player talent should the Storm be allowed to send out each weekend?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gallop has also moved to close that loophole.

The Storm is not allowed to reduce player payments to retain their roster.

They must sack players.

:clap:

excellent. should have happened to the Dogs

Latest posts