What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
I still think there should be a salary cap dispensation for players with 150+ caps for a single club. Clubs should be able to retain talent which they nurture.

It's a shame they systematically cheated so deviously. Though they have lost their fair share of talent over the years.

Why would the players want to play for naught and face career ending injuries?

Why would the storm want to pay them for nothing?

Why not release all your expensive talented players but first sign new contracts with the ones you want for next season and let them go and play in the UK for the season. They won't be able to keep them all anyway.

I think the players have been treated the worst in all of this, i think the administrators for the storm should all face lifetime bans.

Darren Lamb

Juniors
Why? Seriously, they have been confirmed as CHEATS and have a quality list that has been assembled due their cheating ways, yet other teams in the league have to face them? They WILL affect the positions of other teams. WTF? This whole season should have an asterisk next to it unless they are BARRED from the remainder of the year.

Imagine missing out on a finals position because of a loss to this mob. You'd be flipping tables.

so in the records what will it say for the 2007 and 2009 premierships

I guess it would just become void. Manly and Parramatta shouldn't get the Premierships, it doesn't feel right at all. I
It is very unfortunate but, especially for the Sharks in '08 when it looked like they had a decent chance at the title

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
I believe the administrators should be banned for life. $1.6m over 5 years, $320,000 p.a. That is a single premium talent. If they can organize a release of players to legitimately fall under the cap, i feel they should be allowed to compete and earn points this year.

If they play as a dead fish this season they seriously effect the competition negatively.

elbusto

Coach
Why? Seriously, they have been confirmed as CHEATS and have a quality list that has been assembled due their cheating ways, yet other teams in the league have to face them? They WILL affect the positions of other teams. WTF? This whole season should have an asterisk next to it unless they are BARRED from the remainder of the year.

Imagine missing out on a finals position because of a loss to this mob. You'd be flipping tables.
f**k off AFL troll - this is not the time.

elbusto

Coach
I believe the administrators should be banned for life. $1.6m over 5 years, $320,000 p.a. That is a single premium talent. If they can organize a release of players to legitimately fall under the cap, i feel they should be allowed to compete and earn points this year.

If they play as a dead fish this season they seriously effect the competition negatively.
I agree with you. Having said that imagine being Gallop making this decision. It was a tough call.

As per usual, the group that is most affected by this are the fans. Both storm fans and league fans in general have been bent over the table.

What incentive do Storm fans have to keep their membership for this year? What incentive do any other teams fans have to watch their team play the Storm? Storm games essentially become training drills. The Nrl should have made the Storm offload enough talent to get themselves under the cap, docked them 20 or 30 points and then let them compete with the reduced roster.

Hugh Mungus

Juniors
Way to f*ck the game up in Melbourne. Trying to build there for over decade, now this. F*cking disgrace. F*CK OF OUT OF THE GAME NEWS LTD
How does this in anyway reflect against News Ltd? If anything you have to sort of feel sorry for the b@stards as all that money that they invested has now been p!ssed up against a wall because of dodgy administrators - former AFL administrators at that.

markieboy

Juniors
Does the Storm have any legal avenues open to them to have the penalty overturned?

High Court? Supreme Court?

Lambretta

First Grade
I agree with Scarves, this is the time for cool heads and contemplation of where the game moves to from here, rather than the frantic dishing out of penalties so that the NRL can appear tough.

There is a saying that if you fail to plan you plan to fail and the NRL hasnt sat down and thought their plans through.

Yes I know that what the Storm has done is wrong. But the NRL really needed to consider the ramifications of its announcement today before it went headlong into the situation we now have.

Rugby League faces expansion into its traditional markets from a cashed up and aggressive AFL. AFL is a code that will play the long term game quite happily and is prepared to pay for it and dig in for a long drawn out conflict. Rugby League appears to be setting itself up for a fall and planning is once again at the heart of the issue.

The Melbourne Storm has been about the only positive that Rugby League can talk about as far as capturing new markets since the end of Super League. It has grown a juniors competition and with the next TV deal should be in a position where the game is shown on Free to Air down there. They have a new stadium to play out of, members have grown and the average attendances are on the increase. All positives for our code.

You can bet that this situation will reverse much of that hard work. It will take a massive concerted effort from everyone down there just for the club to stay afloat.

This situation has come to light at what can only be described as a wholly fortuitous time for the Melbourne Rebels Union team. Rugby being played in Victoria and them with no tight cap issues. An interesting turn of events for the NRL to consider I would have thought? Who did the outing of the Storm here btw?

Melbourne must have had reasons for rorting the cap in the way they did and we need to reflect a little on why they possibly took the actions they took. Growing in a hostile environment, no free to air exposure, need to highlight successes and retain the best players when their market values increase etc. Not reasons for us to ignore the issue, but reason for us to act upon it in other ways than petulance and punishement.

The AFL had similar issues for the Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions and what did they do? Did the AFL make them play on a level playing field when they knew it was anything but to start with? No, they gave them salary, funding and draft concessions to enable them to build and maintain strong teams.

What did the NRL do in the light of Melbourne not having an all important juniors structure? Well, they errr made them abide to the same cap everyone else does. No favours here. Sink or swim is the call of those that are swimming fine enough themselves.

Again, we failed to put proper planning in place and it's come back to bite us. Yes the Melbourne Storm are accountable for their actions, but we have to recognise that some concessions need to be made towards them for the good of the game as whole.

Advertising all their sins in public on day one was not the answer. Stripping them of past Premierships is not the answer. We all know who won those games, lets move past it.

Today is a truly sad day for Rugby League. Not because a team cheated. Show me a team that hasnt cheated. Maybe not all in the same way or to the same degree, but no one here is innocent and some of the pathetic comments by supporters of other clubs have made me sick to the core of my being.

What is really sad for League is that we're losing a very important war and we dont even seem to realise we're even in one.

skeepe

Immortal
The only positive out of this is I can still say that no team with Brett Finch will ever win a premiership :sarcasm:

Yosh

Coach
Sux to be Parra and Manly...

So many fans out there must be gutted...

Disgusted.

Wonder what will happen to the players who paid illegally...

They say 1.7m but I reackon it'll come out to be much much higher...

elbusto

Coach
I agree with Scarves, this is the time for cool heads and contemplation of where the game moves to from here, rather than the frantic dishing out of penalties so that the NRL can appear tough.

There is a saying that if you fail to plan you plan to fail and the NRL hasnt sat down and thought their plans through.

Yes I know that what the Storm has done is wrong. But the NRL really needed to consider the ramifications of its announcement today before it went headlong into the situation we now have.

Rugby League faces expansion into its traditional markets from a cashed up and aggressive AFL. AFL is a code that will play the long term game quite happily and is prepared to pay for it and dig in for a long drawn out conflict. Rugby League appears to be setting itself up for a fall and planning is once again at the heart of the issue.

The Melbourne Storm has been about the only positive that Rugby League can talk about as far as capturing new markets since the end of Super League. It has grown a juniors competition and with the next TV deal should be in a position where the game is shown on Free to Air down there. They have a new stadium to play out of, members have grown and the average attendances are on the increase. All positives for our code.

You can bet that this situation will reverse much of that hard work. It will take a massive concerted effort from everyone down there just for the club to stay afloat.

This situation has come to light at what can only be described as a wholly fortuitous time for the Melbourne Rebels Union team. Rugby being played in Victoria and them with no tight cap issues. An interesting turn of events for the NRL to consider I would have thought? Who did the outing of the Storm here btw?

Melbourne must have had reasons for rorting the cap in the way they did and we need to reflect a little on why they possibly took the actions they took. Growing in a hostile environment, no free to air exposure, need to highlight successes and retain the best players when their market values increase etc. Not reasons for us to ignore the issue, but reason for us to act upon it in other ways than petulance and punishement.

The AFL had similar issues for the Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions and what did they do? Did the AFL make them play on a level playing field when they knew it was anything but to start with? No, they gave them salary, funding and draft concessions to enable them to build and maintain strong teams.

What did the NRL do in the light of Melbourne not having an all important juniors structure? Well, they errr made them abide to the same cap everyone else does. No favours here. Sink or swim is the call of those that are swimming fine enough themselves.

Again, we failed to put proper planning in place and it's come back to bite us. Yes the Melbourne Storm are accountable for their actions, but we have to recognise that some concessions need to be made towards them for the good of the game as whole.

Advertising all their sins in public on day one was not the answer. Stripping them of past Premierships is not the answer. We all know who won those games, lets move past it.

Today is a truly sad day for Rugby League. Not because a team cheated. Show me a team that hasnt cheated. Maybe not all in the same way or to the same degree, but no one here is innocent and some of the pathetic comments by supporters of other clubs have made me sick to the core of my being.

What is really sad for League is that we're losing a very important war and we dont even seem to realise we're even in one.
Great post mate. I think the NRL should have allowed the Storm to play competitively this year.

Having said that its easy for us as we did not have to make the decision.

winnyason

Juniors
I am a eagles fan i do not want the 2007 title what a clayton's title, we where flogged then got our own back in 2008. Hearing parra fans moan please get a life, before i comment on there future is the salary cap a valid work practise.
Onto the storm i have grave concerns but do we walk away no f**king way, for bears fans, png perth or whatever new side the melbourne market is needed to get the predicted bumper tv deal and get new sides and the trouble is you get these idiots with heads in the sand saying kick them out if WE stay in sydney and brisbane to grow, this is the problem with the superleague in the other side of world saying kick catalans, london, welsh crusaders or ignore toulouse but the game needs to expand or it will die period that is it.

Maybe relocate storm to perth let's see how season pans out

I game is great but WE NEED TO EXPAND OR WE WILL DIE.

cupid

Juniors
f**k the media are overblowing this sh*t, ''The game will never be the same again'', please.

Latest posts