What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

Dani

Immortal
I was hoping to wake up and all this had been some horrible nightmare. It wasn't. I cried. And am still crying.

another story I just heard is Interesting that the Storm players were told on Wednesday what was about to unfold, so whats to say that someone from their players group tipped to a punter for a kickback

betcats

Referee
The stripping of the Premierships is a real joke. A real Claytons act.

As if the Melbourne Storm Players and Fans care if the Premierships have been stripped in name only. They know they won them, every man and dog knows that they won them.

The fans had the nights of their lives and people like Gallop can never take away those feelings and memories.
:D

Your an idiot Markieboy but i feel for you. They only won because they CHEATED.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well if the Storm - and all the other clubs that are "rorting" the system dont pay the players what they are worth we will lose them.

If no club spend over the salary cap we watch Greg Inglis go to AFL, Thurston go to union, etc. The Origin sides would be made up of 2nd raters.

Auditing of clubs should be limited to checking that they have the money they are spending. If a local business wants to pay player x a zillion dollars to stay then let them. So long as the money is legit and its not a bank loan or credit note, who cares.

The current system is akin to putting a pile of bricks on a garden bed and expecting daisies. Take the bricks off and water the garden for f sake.

You cant grow the game by trying to supress it.

God forbid we lose the Storm. What a tragedy that would be.

I agree, the Storm management deserve what is coming but they did develop all these superstars at once and I would say they would have been lucky to keep half if they wanted to be in the salary cap. Some leeway has to be given to developing superstars else you may as well just wait for a club to develop them and then steal them.

jc155776

Coach
The only reason the Storm could "Develop" these superstars is because they could pay all their current stars a motza PLUS pay their potential sums a decent amount when younger and keep them all under the cap.

North Devils should be investigated as well. Would find even more Storm rorting.

eel01s

Bench
I don't think it is right that the players are allowed to keep their premiership rings. Those rings are special and are the reward for coming out on top in any given year. Players from clubs proven to have cheated do not deserve to wear them.

The NRL should demand them back for the 2007 & 2009 years.

Quigs

Immortal
Yes sir-ree Bob, it's not us.

We are only surviving on food handouts and the money the club got for fining Gal for having a late night piss.

Why is everyone going on about a minor misdemeanour by the Storm when we (the NRL community) still have to get over Gallen taking a piss down a dark Sydney alley.

Lets get our priorities right.

Cheers
Quigs

And there could be some very nervous rival clubs as well.

Most of them cheat the stupid cap.

I reckon the shredders might have been working overtime at a few clubs last night. Or at least the documentation of the dodgy deals got moved much further away from the club's offices - like to the club janitor's aunty's 3rd cousin's friend's house in Woop Woop. :lol:

What the NRL should do immediately, before any club is allowed to play their next game (well given its Friday, maybe next round?), is require all clubs' board members and designated employees to lodge statutory declarations that their club is not in breach of the cap this year and has not engaged in any illicit dealings with players over the past 5 years.

They should also start using different audit teams to do the salary cap audits at clubs. One problem with using the same auditors all the time is that the subject gets to know what they look for and what they don't. Mixing it up with different auditors can catch the perpetrators of the shonky arrangements on the hop.

mrblue

Juniors
And there could be some very nervous rival clubs as well.

Most of them cheat the stupid cap.

The bulldogs would have had a more dominate decade if they cheated for as long as you guys did numbnuts (SBW, Mason, Anasta and Thurston) and I don't support the dogs either. Not to mention a lot of home grown talent left their respective clubs during this period because of the cap. I feel more sorry for the fans of clubs that lost players to your cheating club.

aussies1st

Staff member
The only reason the Storm could "Develop" these superstars is because they could pay all their current stars a motza PLUS pay their potential sums a decent amount when younger and keep them all under the cap.

North Devils should be investigated as well. Would find even more Storm rorting.

I was talking about their original superstars i.e. Slater, Inglis, Folau, Cronk, Smith, Hoffman, Blair, White, etc who would have been on peanuts for their debut season but then boom they all became superstars and the Storm had no hope of realistically retaining them.

RABK

Referee
not us.... we dont have the money.... :eek:

When you say 'us' a lot of posters wouldn't have any idea what team you're talking about because you have no Knights reference, logo etc. Most wouldn't know where valentine is.

Neatoboy

Juniors
I was devastated when the Bulldogs cheated and were stripped of their points. I feel so sorry for the Melbourne fans and the Storm players. I am so disappointed and angry myself, as I really want to see RL grow beyond NSW & Qld. I had great hopes this year for RL in Melbourne, especially with the opening of the new stadium. I hope the Storm can survive this... the NRL needs them to survive.

Vossy

Bench
i personally dont like the storm but to read comments about the storm folding, kicking them out etc etc etc is not on, i would hate to see a fan lose his/her club..everything needs to be done to ensure the storm get through this and start fresh

no idea how im going to explain his to my 7 year old nephew who loves his storm so much he doesnt shut up about them..

way to rape the code Brian Waldron

looking at there squad, you'd have to cheat to keep all those rep players

its also laughable that some eels fans think its there divine right to be crowned 2009 champions..you didnt win, you werent the only team to be affected by the storm, sharks were screwed out of a spot in the 2008 grand final if you want to play that game

Latest posts