What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions Thread for Next Year's Version

TripleM

Juniors
Oh I have heaps of commentary suggestions.
"The score is x to y". x and y being numbers of course. Weird how its not in, but doesn't detract from the game at all, just funny when you first notice they never say the scores.
"This team is on an x game winning streak"
"If they win this they're into the top 8"
etc

ghoti

Bench
"A win here is crucial for *Team Name*. If they drop this match, they could be out of the 8."

"Send him to gaol! That tackle was HUGE!"

"Someone's gotta tell him to stay away from people's heads...that's jsut dangerous...he could've prematurely POPPED IN HIS EYE...err...scratch the last bit."

"Why bother turning up if you're gonna tackle like that?"

"*Player X* has just stepped *Player Y* and he scores! *Player Y* has just pulled a hammy...anybody would if you just got stood up like that! That was rubbish!"

"I bet you his coach is hoping he was aiming to hit the posts...he just cost his team a valuable two points!"

"*Player X* will be hoping to put in a big performance tonight to secure his spot in the Australian squad which will be announced tonight."

That's a couple...well...more than a couple...but it's some. I'm loving this game so much it's dangerous. Playing ESL has made it less tedious which is cool...my R2 button broke. Piece of shit.

umosay

Juniors
i think there should be different put down animations for each button, eg.

1. low dive
2. high dive
3. stand up put down / on move
4. one handed roll dive (eg. chris walker, could stop player from diving out in corner)

umosay

Juniors
more conventional realistic tackles
ability to choose strip to play in for friendlies
toss before game - option
Ability to choose kickoff time, not just day night... eg...2pm, 230,3,330,4,430,5,530,6,630,7,730,8..... and weather changes to suit, eg if kickoff is at 530 or 6 the first half is light and 2nd is under lights

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
First off I have the PS2 version of the game.
I would like to be able to set a primary and secondary defender. So by default the defender would be the one closest to ball like it is now, but should I press R2 I can change to my primary defender, L2 to my secondary defender.
Set moves from taps and scrums would be good (Although Kimmorley is unstoppable from a scrum 25m out and closer- even in legend mode).
When making a player I would like to be able to set a left or right footed. I made Matt Rogers and he is kicking with his right foot - maybe I just missed something, but I do not think I have seen a lefty.

Other than that some of the other so called glitches IMO are realistic - even first grade players make stupid mistakes - such as passing straight out - letting the ball go out from kickoff.

Great game.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The only glitch that is OBVIOUS is the player diving straight out when you vould score a try,and some dodgy AI like passing to the sideline when the player was under the posts.

umosay

Juniors
more suggestions:

-highlights feature at the end of each game, and when playing season mode you can watch the highlights of the other games ... that would be cool
-less sin bins, i just played a 20min game and there were 5sin bins in the game ... too much
-better cut scenes b4 and after game

ghoti

Bench
I played a 40 minute game and copped about 9 sinbins. Thanks to my cheating way of interchanging the offending player, I got out of it ok...but I wasted my interchanges.

P.J.

Juniors
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but when a player scores 3 tries, vossie says he's scored a double, and when he scores a 4th try, he says he's scored a hat-trick.

Kage

Juniors
I reckon the shoulder buttons should be used as alternate switch player buttons in defense. Pressing the left button should switch control to the next player to the left of the one currently selected, and the right shoulder button would select the next player to the right. If the selection was instantaneous then defense would be less of a frustration.
Also there should be some front-on low tackles where the ballcarrier goes down face first with the defender clinging to his ankles.

Kage

Juniors
I would love to see a momentum system introduced to control player movement, but not the aweful one that was in rugby 2001! A players agility statistic would determine how easily they could change direction without losing speed. Players with high agility could step and weave through defenders at full speed, while the lumbering props couldnt do more then a little change of angle without losing speed and momentum.
This could replace the sidestep button, I dont like the fact that 3 of my defenders dive harmlessly aside to let a slow un-agile prop score untouched under the sticks because he pressed the sidestep button.

ghoti

Bench
I think players should have their own attributes for the sidestep button. So a back will step, or a prop like Ryles or a second rower like Phil Bailey will step wheeas someone like Mark Tookey drop the shoulder or something...

NPK

Bench
I'd like to see a separate player attribute for ball security - I think this is wrapped up in with the catching ability attribute at the moment.

NPK

Bench
Kage said:
I reckon the shoulder buttons should be used as alternate switch player buttons in defense. Pressing the left button should switch control to the next player to the left of the one currently selected, and the right shoulder button would select the next player to the right. If the selection was instantaneous then defense would be less of a frustration.
Also there should be some front-on low tackles where the ballcarrier goes down face first with the defender clinging to his ankles.

I agree about the shoulder/trigger buttons being used in defense to choose your defender laterally across the field.

Another suggestion that is related to this suggestion: by pressing both shoulder/trigger buttons at the same time (when in defense) , you select the fullback. Amongst other advantages, this will make it easier to rove around and make cover tackles while letting the AI make the tackles (which is what a lot of people seem to do).

Clevo

Juniors
I'd like to see fixed:

1) When you tap button to select player it actually selects the player closest to the ball

2) Ability to select different styles of Attack and Defense

3) AI improved immensly; Especisally around the scrums

4) Dummy half running

5) Continuous seasons rather than stuck in a perpetual 2003 season

That'll do for now

Matta

Juniors
I dont know if this has been suggested yet, but the interchange system could be colour coded, so say black for playing/bench, yellow for injured, red for sin-bin, and dark red for sent off. So if you interchange players, they switch positions (like normal), but when someone is sinbinned or sent off, then you can switch another player with them (instead of them being put off the list) and then the player that is sinbinned is in another position, so instead of having no halfback for the rest of the game, youll only have no winger or no prop. For injuries, it can show which player is injured instead of just having them not on the list. And when players come back on, they shouldnt be added on the bottom, instead they should be put in the list in the right position (I know this has already been suggested).

ripper

Also it should say the players preferred postions because with the ESL teams Im just guessing who to sub who with who

The Observer

Staff member
Razor said:
Crippler said:
1) Holding forward and kick does a long punt
2) Holding forward and tapping the kick will do a chip over the top
3) Holding backwards and kicking will do a bomb. Just like lomu.

How do you do a grubber?
How do you do a field goal?

If they bring in a one-button kick system there is no way I'll be buying the game.

The matrix style kicking is great. Maybe they can put in an option to turn it off, and have it normal speed for those who don't like it.

Razor, Crippler was right. The Jonah Lomu kicking system worked very, very well. If it could be incorporated into the next edition, then that would make the game even more playable and enjoyable.

I would suggest using the Lomu system but with different buttons for different kicks. So on PS2,
X for long punt kicking
O for grubber kicking
square for bombs/high kicks
Select for drop kick (field goal)

Collateral

Coach
First off, This is a fantastic game no doubt. But there is still a lot of room for improvement.

The amount of high tackles and spear tackles is way too many, and the amount of sin bins and send off's are extremely over the top.

The injuries are ok but I dont think there are enough of them, and that there should be some injuries to keep players out for either: the rest of the current game, a couple of games, a few weeks or the season. The injuries are one of the hioghlights for me in Madden and how players can be out for the season with a range of injuries. One thing Sidhe will have to be careful with though is the amount of injuries the put in...I wouldnt want every injured player to be out for 8weeks, and i wouldnt want there to be 100 injuries a game.

The statistics could also be expanded on and improved. For example, the sttistics on the current version are showed only at halftime, but arent shown at fulltime which I find really annoying.
Possibly there could be stats like meters gained by a player.
It would be good if it was easier to make hitups aswell.

I agree with a few people on thr Franchise option, which I think would be fantastic.
Hopefully it would be a long franchise like in madden where it can last up to 30seasons or more.

It would be very good if it was easier to customise other teams line-ups aswell.

One last things I would like to see but dont expect to see it is lower grade teams. I would love for there to be a Premier League Competition, but I understand that might be asking a bit too much.

But like I said, Its a fantastic game and I am very pleased with it. I am really looking foward to Rugby League 2004/2005 :D ;-)

Latest posts