What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Footy Show

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Really getting sick of the hate now. All the fools of so-called fans on this site seem to think that punishing cheats is more important than what is best for the NRL. It is like saying killing Hitler is more important than rebuilding the lands of Europe he destroyed.

Seriously sick of the hate. Getting to the stage where I would almost rather te Storm play on with an illegal team. At the end of the day it is 17 on 17, the only difference to me is that one team was being paid more than they should, not that they had too many good players. This is simply the result of greed and business, the effects it has had on the game is unbelievable. Footy really should not be about all this salary cap crap. It has always just been about 17 players on 17 players, out there for the love of it. Get back to that.

Stuff Business. Stuff Greed.

:lol: you are a f**king idiot that one of the stupidest things I have read in ages! That Hiltler analogy was ridiculous! you f**king moron!

what will it take for Gus Gould to see it the way it is?
Regardless if it was the players fault the club which employees the players broke the rules, the team would be the same team it is now if they didn't pay extra moneys to players to keep them there when they ahd better offers from other clubs/codes.
Sure they were mostly players who were no bodies and great coaching etc helpped them excel but let's face it none of the players are local Melbourne juniors, sure some were signed young and devoloped by the storm and thier feeder clubs.
The thing is Gus thinks it's ok for Penrith/Parramatta/Dragons/Brisbane/newcastle etc to have to let some local juniors go as they have to many to fit them all (just look a players from those mentioned clubs who are now with other NRL teams or in England.
But for some reason it is not ok that melbourne have to let some go too, instead they should pay players outside the cap and keep them getting a unfair advantage over other teams? Is that what Gus is saying?
Not every team has a rich backer like the roosters and Storm, Cronulla aren't even using their full cap from what i hear.
On one hand he is against News ltd being involved in the game and on the other it's ok for them to own a team and break the rules without penalty?
I'm totally lost with Gus, he's lost me for ever now with his out burst on sunday, time to find the mute button on friday night footy.

Springs

First Grade
:lol: You worthless f**king jack off
:lol: you are a f**king idiot that one of the stupidest things I have read in ages! That Hiltler analogy was ridiculous! you f**king moron!

And here we have, with baiting, the fools of the so-called fans. With nothing intelligent to say, they resort to swearing and insults. They must surely be the pinnacle of rugby league fans.

The thing is Gus thinks it's ok for Penrith/Parramatta/Dragons/Brisbane/newcastle etc to have to let some local juniors go as they have to many to fit them all (just look a players from those mentioned clubs who are now with other NRL teams or in England.
But for some reason it is not ok that melbourne have to let some go too, instead they should pay players outside the cap and keep them getting a unfair advantage over other teams? Is that what Gus is saying?

No he is not saying that at all. He is saying there should be concessions allowing clubs that develop a team and players to retain their players. The cap should be used so that one club can't go out and buy the Australian team. See next year Eels will most likely lose two of Keating, Mateo and Inu. Do they deserve to go? No, they should stay. Just because Hayne takes up half the salary cap doesn't mean we should lose players like Inu and Mateo. Players like Poore, Galuvao, Lowrie leaving fair enough.

gronkathon

First Grade
Still haven't answered in the other thread how the Storm can get under the cap this year within the NRL rules have we princess springs?

Front-Rower

First Grade
Really getting sick of the hate now. All the fools of so-called fans on this site seem to think that punishing cheats is more important than what is best for the NRL. It is like saying killing Hitler is more important than rebuilding the lands of Europe he destroyed.

Seriously sick of the hate. Getting to the stage where I would almost rather te Storm play on with an illegal team. At the end of the day it is 17 on 17, the only difference to me is that one team was being paid more than they should, not that they had too many good players. This is simply the result of greed and business, the effects it has had on the game is unbelievable. Footy really should not be about all this salary cap crap. It has always just been about 17 players on 17 players, out there for the love of it. Get back to that.

What the NRL did was for the benefit of the game. You don't get it do you. You can't allow a club who has performed illegally to continue on this years competition nor can you allow them to be called "champions" in the years they won the comp or minor premiership.

If the NRL turned a blind to all this and allowed Melbourne to go on their merry way the code loses ALL creditability. There is no shiny new TV contract around the corner, the media would be full of crap about how if the NRL allows a corrupt organisation to compete in it's competiton than is the NRL a corrupt organisation in itself.

This is not some fancy dream world where everyone gets a gold star for competing. It's a business driven game where results are number 1. If a club can't draw revenue from it's own actions there is no club because they go broke and fold. This also relates back to the Storm because without News they were broke and handing out their revenue back to the players before putting the needs of the club first.

Remember Rugby League is a team game not a game designed for individuals.

Really getting sick of the hate now. All the fools of so-called fans on this site seem to think that punishing cheats is more important than what is best for the NRL.
mate punishing cheats is whats best for the nrl
It is like saying killing Hitler is more important than rebuilding the lands of Europe he destroyed.
?? i have no idea where you are going with this one mate i can only say the nrl have to look after all 16 teams not just the rebuilding of the storm
Seriously sick of the hate. Getting to the stage where I would almost rather te Storm play on with an illegal team.
as for the hate sorry to say you better get used to it bulldogs fans still cop it occasionally for their salary cap dramas and that was back in 2002
At the end of the day it is 17 on 17, the only difference to me is that one team was being paid more than they should, not that they had too many good players.
really? tell you what if you do a straight swap of all the storm players for all the sharks players i'll let them play for points this year
This is simply the result of greed and business, the effects it has had on the game is unbelievable.
yes it is unbelievable how one team can change the whole outcome of the game for 5 years i guess thats why the rule was put in there
Footy really should not be about all this salary cap crap. It has always just been about 17 players on 17 players, out there for the love of it. Get back to that.
its very easy to say its just 17 on 17 when you have a team of superstars tell it to the sharks or raiders
someone should have said that to brian waldron

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
How many times do I have to say...

I agree with what you said Front Rower. I agree they should e stripped of premierships, I agree that they should be stripped of points, I agree an illegally assembled team should not be allowed to participate in this years competition.
My argument is that a legally assemble Storm team, as in players cut and the roster re-assembled to be under the cap, playing for points is better than an illegally assembled team not allowed to play for points but effectively cheating teams out of two points and possibly finals spots. I believe that does more damage to the game then letting a legal team play on. If you disagree, well fine, disagree.
It's a business driven game where results are number 1

Do not EVER, EVER say that again. It is not a business driven game. It may be a greedy, business driven competition but the GAME I play on the weekends for my local club, the game I play in the park with my mates, the game that I have played since I was 5 years old and the local town side I grew up supporting, do not DARE say that was because of business crap. I play and wach footy because I love it, I dare say so do you. All i want is what is fair to the players and fans, I really don't give a damn about what CEOs, businessmen, sponsers, media, and all these corrupt greed-driven fools who think money should be before the game, care about. Stuff em.

Springs

First Grade
mate punishing cheats is whats best for the nrl

Yes i agree but what I am saying is that if the punishment is so severe it causes the Storm to fold and we no longer have a prescence in Melbourne, then it is obviously not best for the NRL. The NRL have to everything they can to ensure we do not lose support in Melbourne.

as for the hate sorry to say you better get used to it bulldogs fans still cop it occasionally for their salary cap dramas and that was back in 2002

I am an Eels fan, did we cheat the cap as well?

Yes i agree but what I am saying is that if the punishment is so severe it causes the Storm to fold and we no longer have a prescence in Melbourne, then it is obviously not best for the NRL. The NRL have to everything they can to ensure we do not lose support in Melbourne.
I am an Eels fan, did we cheat the cap as well?

theres nothing to stop the nrl starting another team in melbourne any lost support is due to the storm's cheating not the nrl (although it seems to be having the opposite affect for some reason)

p.s. sorry mate i assumed you were a storm fan you are being very forgiving towards the club who cheated us out of the premiership last year

Front-Rower

First Grade
How many times do I have to say...

I agree with what you said Front Rower. I agree they should e stripped of premierships, I agree that they should be stripped of points, I agree an illegally assembled team should not be allowed to participate in this years competition.
My argument is that a legally assemble Storm team, as in players cut and the roster re-assembled to be under the cap, playing for points is better than an illegally assembled team not allowed to play for points but effectively cheating teams out of two points and possibly finals spots. I believe that does more damage to the game then letting a legal team play on. If you disagree, well fine, disagree.

Do not EVER, EVER say that again. It is not a business driven game. It may be a greedy, business driven competition but the GAME I play on the weekends for my local club, the game I play in the park with my mates, the game that I have played since I was 5 years old and the local town side I grew up supporting, do not DARE say that was because of business crap. I play and wach footy because I love it, I dare say so do you. All i want is what is fair to the players and fans, I really don't give a damn about what CEOs, businessmen, sponsers, media, and all these corrupt greed-driven fools who think money should be before the game, care about. Stuff em

Their lays your problem. At NRL level it's all about money and revenue. Without it their is no club, there is no competition and all that is left is park football.

I assume you would like to see the NRL get a nice new shiny TV contract next time around? How are we going to get it without having a strong financialy sound NRL and clubs that play in the competition? We can't go in to the wide world with a governing body that was weak enough to allow a cheating organisation compete with an illeagally assesmbled roster.

As much as you love playing footy in the park with your mates and running around in the local comp wth your local team you have to admit that without funds there would be no local comp or team.

I was never fortunate enough to play league but I have played numerous other sports and without our sponsors, rego money and fund raising I wouldn't of had a chance to play cricket, tennis, soccer and swim for the local club's in my area.

You may say what's that got to do with the Melbourne Storm but think about it. Without a large revenue stream they have no money to pay players or establish a club to compete at the highest level. It's all business and business must operate with in the rules of the game. They can't hide illegal payments to players etc and expect to get away with it. They broke the rules and they have been punished. I don't buy this that it's not fair for the players as they are part of the club as a whole. Administrators administer the club and players play for the club.

I personally think that the club should of been abolished from the 2010 season. Like you say it's not fair that teams still have to play them and have to beat them for the two points. Taking pay cuts and sitting players out would of been the taking the easy road for the NRL. They had to show who is boss and they did.

there is also a legal issue with tv rights the nrl would have signed a contract with news limited and nine for eight games a week if they start only playing seven games a week they are in breach of contract and could be sued

I'm totally lost with Gus, he's lost me for ever now with his out burst on sunday, time to find the mute button on friday night footy.
i dont normally watch the sunday footy show i only tuned in last week to see if there were any new developments im never watching it or the sunday roast again gus gets one chance friday night if he opens his trap about melbourne i'll be turning that off too

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I used to like Gus but my attitude towards him has changed completely throughout all of this. His entire argument is "poor Melbourne they couldn't retain their players :( what else were they supposed to do?" uh... follow the f**king rules like every other team in the league is supposed to be doing. Gallop was right when he said this wasn't time to be debating the cap, Gould is using it as a way to make excuses and push his own agenda, it is getting old quickly.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
And here we have, with baiting, the fools of the so-called fans. With nothing intelligent to say, they resort to swearing and insults. They must surely be the pinnacle of rugby league fans.

Why waste time intelligently debating someone that says such foolish things??? If you actually wrote something intelligent, maybe people would respond in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
theres nothing to stop the nrl starting another team in melbourne any lost support is due to the storm's cheating not the nrl (although it seems to be having the opposite affect for some reason)

p.s. sorry mate i assumed you were a storm fan you are being very forgiving towards the club who cheated us out of the premiership last year

We were good enough to beat them and we didn't, that is all I see it as. Funny how none of the players are demanding the premiership because they were cheated.

As much as you love playing footy in the park with your mates and running around in the local comp wth your local team you have to admit that without funds there would be no local comp or team.

Mate I have seen both my local comp and local team go under in the past few years. It wasn't because of lack of funds or players but because another club decided to leave for a different comp. But really I know that my team needs sponsers and such to survive, but when it comes down to it all my club is is a bunch of players and former players playing and helping out a club so our town can have some fun and entertainment. There aren't men running around in business suits at our club, it's just some mates trying to win a comp.

As for your other points, I acknowledged that it was a business-driven comp, it is just not in any way a business driven game.

We were good enough to beat them and we didn't, that is all I see it as. Funny how none of the players are demanding the premiership because they were cheated.
i see it as we were the last legal team playing in the 2009 competition they were over the cap by 400,000 last year so whichever way you slice it at least one of those players shouldnt have been there

im not demanding the premiership either i wouldnt mind it myself but if the players dont want it so be it

nqcowboy87

Bench

Mate I have seen both my local comp and local team go under in the past few years. It wasn't because of lack of funds or players but because another club decided to leave for a different comp. But really I know that my team needs sponsers and such to survive, but when it comes down to it all my club is is a bunch of players and former players playing and helping out a club so our town can have some fun and entertainment. There aren't men running around in business suits at our club, it's just some mates trying to win a comp.

As for your other points, I acknowledged that it was a business-driven comp, it is just not in any way a business driven game.

we've also seen teams in bush footy die, because the stronger clubs in the area are able to pay players more, i think i remeber reading in rlw a few years abck about a team from the north coast that died because of this

Latest posts