What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Footy Show

Shifty

Juniors
I admire Gus for his passion.

This time he's out of line, big time. Play the ball, not the man.

Gus (whilst he may be a pain at times) really revealed Gallop for what he truly is - nothing.

Gallop looked like he was about to cry, especially at the end when he had to stop and clear his throat.

For god sake, Independent commission with another John Quayle now!

Knightmare

Coach
I admire the passion Gus has for the game and the fact that he is not afraid to say exactly what he thinks, irrespective of who is in his presence.

However, while I think that the penalty to the Storm should have allowed them to gain points this season if they could get their roster to being under the salary cap, I disagree with the way Gus demonises the cap. I don't know if anybody here wants to see the NRL become like European football, where only 2 or 3 teams are ever a shot at the title and the rest can hope for no better than making up the semis or mid-table mediocrity.

Players like Nathan Hindmarsh and Darren Lockyer should be exempt from the cap. The only reason they should feel like they have to move on from their clubs is because they are sick of the place. But see how many people would care about an NRL in which Easts, Canterbury or Brisbane win the comp every year because they have the biggest chequebooks to buy themselves an all-star line-up with.

cupid

Juniors
Gus fails to see Melbourne unfairly cheated the cap by keeping players, their is no one else to blame for this exept the Melbourne Management, not the NRL. Sure in a perfect world it would be great if teams could keep the players they have but we dont live in a perfect world do we?

If you look at the team Melbourne played in the 2009 Grand Final, Parramatta, they have easily lost the most juniors in this comp to other clubs, but they got to that GF fare and square, they are the real victims.

Noa

First Grade
I admire the passion Gus has for the game and the fact that he is not afraid to say exactly what he thinks, irrespective of who is in his presence.

However, while I think that the penalty to the Storm should have allowed them to gain points this season if they could get their roster to being under the salary cap, I disagree with the way Gus demonises the cap. I don't know if anybody here wants to see the NRL become like European football, where only 2 or 3 teams are ever a shot at the title and the rest can hope for no better than making up the semis or mid-table mediocrity.

Players like Nathan Hindmarsh and Darren Lockyer should be exempt from the cap. The only reason they should feel like they have to move on from their clubs is because they are sick of the place. But see how many people would care about an NRL in which Easts, Canterbury or Brisbane win the comp every year because they have the biggest chequebooks to buy themselves an all-star line-up with.

Thats a furphy.

Anyform of cap will ensure that doesnt happen, it just needs to be increased a bit to improve the over-all quality.

I think that is Gus' main beef

Big-Steve

Juniors
Yes he is out of line especially with that last comment.

Yes all these players may have debuted with the Storm at a relatively a young age but many other clubs (the bulk of which were QLD and NSW clubs) were involved in the development of these players BEFORE they debuted for the Storm.

It's those junior clubs that deserve the reward for their development and they would not have received development fees, but its Melbourne who have benefited.

Again the NRL is run by the NRL for the NRL not the whole sport and the media think the same.

nitabita

Juniors
I agree, he is missing the point completely. Gallop has done okay, but i wish that he was more articulate and stroingly spoken to put Gould in his place.

That rubbish about Storm should be allowed to keep Inglis, Slater etc. cos they're home grown... Gallop was right - If this was allowed there would be a lot of clubs that wouldn't survive. Can you imagine Gus Gould's own ROOSTERS in that situation? There is no way that his roosters would be able to compete against the likes of Penrith etc. if clubs were so heavily rewarded for producing and maintaining their own juniors.
What rubbish. I can't believe that some people listed to the dribble that is coming out of Gould's mouth.

And that elderly lady - GAH, of course eveyone wants to be as sucessful as the storm. I'd love to have the kind of quality players that they have. But you know what else I'd love - I'd love to live in a mansion. I'd love to drive a VW golf, spend 3 months of the year in the bahamas and cure all poverty in the world. Unfortunately, I can't. NRL clubs can't sustain teams like the storm! There is not enough money in the game! Why is there not enough money in the game, thats another story (whether NRL are to blame for not negotiating a better tv deal, etc.). The rules are there for a reason. Bottom line is, Storm have cheated. They should be punished. And Gould should STFU!

gronkathon

First Grade
Increasing the cap will do sweet FA though.

Don't you realise that guys like Thurston, Smith, Marshall & Lockyer will just get more money as they are still the major drawcards.

The cap is designed for the most part to spread the marquee talent.

Any raise in the cap would mean nothing for 60% of players

gronkathon

First Grade
Not that I can see.

Funny and sad that while all this is going on and 9 are complaining about unfair treatment of the Storm that they are not, I assume, broadcasting any of this to Victoria

nitabita

Juniors

Don't you realise that guys like Thurston, Smith, Marshall & Lockyer will just get more money as they are still the major drawcards.

Yeah, I can see that happening. Maybe a marquee player component? Either way, I still think there's not enough money in the game to hold on to the players we need to.

OH THANK GAWD, Gould is gone.

simostorm

Bench
none of it is broadcasting into Victoria.. 9 actually used to show it on there HD channel.. a year or two ago.. that soon stopped and now we have both AFL footy shows on both channels. channel 88.. or Go which is owned by Nine is showing repeast of the Hills.followed by Charlies Angels.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

That's why any raise in the cap is accompanied by a raise in the minimum salary, which in turn would also raise the mid tier players who wouldn't accept the minimum.

Would like to see a couple of marquee players exempt from the cap per club, but where does this cash come from and can every club come up with it?

dragondad

First Grade
Gould has been smack bang way out of line.He talks,then won't shutup when Gallop tries to talk.

Gould says that the Storm deserves to keep all their talent that they produce?What a disgrace,look at the all the origin plays Saints produced but had to let go?

Brutus

Referee
Gus was absolutely brilliant today.

There are a lot a issues to have led to this whole Storm debarcle (yes some AFL blow-ins ensured they cheated) and Gould outlined some of those.

Gallop was shown to be the weak, scripted NRL CEO that many know him as.

Danish

Referee
I'd also like to know how purchasing Cameron smith from the broncos then plonking him in 1st grade is "producing" him.

Even us rooster fans don't try and claim that sort of stuff as junior development.

Brutus

Referee
I'd also like to know how purchasing Cameron smith from the broncos then plonking him in 1st grade is "producing" him.

Cameron Smith was an average teenage half-back with the Norths Devils. He became one of the best hookers of all-time through Storm development system which of course included Norths as the feeder club.