What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely it is time for the NRL.....

Loudstrat

Coach
Timmah,
reds-logo-l.jpg

News
%21Bw9JQIQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKj4Ewld%28uy8sBMLTeO6lkQ%7E%7E_35.JPG

Limited
goldcoast_1996.jpg

loves
norths_1998.jpg

expansion
adelaide_1998.jpg

Dont they?

Loudstrat

Coach
I wouldn't be done with Rugby League, i'd certainly be done with the NRL if Roosters got dumped. As for Sydney needing to pick up its act :lol: The only reason the outside of Sydney average isn't god awful is because of the Broncos.

Crowds rated in order - top to bottom.

NSW teams underlined. Non NSW teams in bold. Above average in black. Below median but above average in red. Below median in blue

Brisbane
Canterbury
Newcastle

Wests
St George Illawarra
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Manly
Parramatta
Sydney
South Sydney
Melbourne
Canberra
Penrith
Cronulla

5 teams above average. 4 from NSW.

Minor premiers, not from NSW - 4th last. Every NSW team in the finals got above the mean.

So you want to replace Rocky for, say, Cronulla. The Sharks average crowd would be 1/6th of Rocky's population! North Queensland - possibly the team that gets the highest percentage of residents to games, has TWO AND A HALF TIMES the population of Rocky, and a shitload more people within 400kms that Rocky. If Rocky got the same ratio of people as the Cowboys do, they would get an average of 6200!

Clearly, the NRL would be better served by bringing back Newtown that admitting Central Queensland!!!!!!

We won't see Mong or Pennywise again in this thread, unless it is to a) apologise, or b) continue to look like a complete f*cking genius!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

juro

Bench

NSW teams underlined. Non NSW teams in bold. Above average in black. Below mean but above average in red. Below mean in blue
You do realise that mean is the same as average, don't you?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be rid of some of the Sydney teams and put teams where the people are. Was just having a look at the Central Qld bid and you would have to say they deserve a team. Good $$ and guaranteed crowds. Also Perth and Ipswich also deserve a team as there are people there who will support them.

But no Gallop and co will continue with the merry chant of keeping existing teams but seriously many are going bankrupt and there crowds are awful.

My thoughts are that for a team to continue with it having a franchise licence they should have to meet definite criteria in terms of funding, profitability and support. f**k this living in the past propping up clubs that cant function on their own. Its the nRL now not the NSWRL anymore
The 2 most likely clubs to get cut from Sydney will be Sharks and Roosters.

Roosters though are looking like they may be the first to get the chop, as the Sharks are proactively working towards ensuring their future. Roosters aren't doing anything and pretty much can't do anything.

This whole concept has become so tiresome, repetitive and pointless its impossible to take anyone serious on this issue anymore.

Here's a novel idea, hows about the NRL do something different for a change and do what they can to help keep long standing clubs in Sydney alive. The game, the media, the public have become so brainwashed so quickly about the business side of things and the history of the game is almost becoming something no one gives a flying f**k about anymore, and that shits me to no end.

ozjet1

Maybe it keeps coming up because there are valid reasons for it coming up.

As one way of looking at the issue, if the comp was to start afresh (obviously totally hypothetical), how many Sydney clubs would be admitted into a 16 team comp if they were competing against all the new bids? What about an 18 team comp? 20 teams? That would highlight the strengths and weaknesses of every single team and how they add to the NRL. It sounds like the ESL does something like this on a regular basis, but for real!

the ideal setup, perfect world, yada-yada-yada.

North Queensland
Brisbane
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Sydney - City, East, Inner West
Sydney - North
Sydney - South/Wollongong
Sydney - West, North-west
Sydney - West, South-west
Canberra
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Auckland
Wellington

ozjet1

Roosters though are looking like they may be the first to get the chop, as the Sharks are proactively working towards ensuring their future. Roosters aren't doing anything and pretty much can't do anything.

roosters have friends in high places.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something a lot of people forget when they start this drivel.

If you cut a team and bring in a new one, you are just making a whole heap of profit in the number of fans, you lose all the supporters of the cut team.

Same situation is a risk of happening by relocating.

I personally think the number of Sydney clubs must not change. If the NRL/NSWRL/ARL/CRL/QRL could all work together for a f**king change and put some genuine money, time, effort and resources into grassroots and country RL, then you'd find we'd have ample players for all the NRL clubs, including new teams.

Cutting and moving teams will never be a solution. It takes a long time for those fans to accept the change and come back to the game.

Proof in point, the two current merged clubs, Dragons and Tigers.
In 1997 - St.George avg crowd was 7222, Illawarra was 8695 - Combined 15917
It took The St.George-Illawarra entity until 2011 to eclipse that combined total
In 1999 - Balmain avg crowd was 9710, Wests was 9343 - Combined 19053
It took Wests Tigers a Grand Final victory (which neither club had seen since Balmain's in 1969) to eclpise that. It hasn't surpassed it since.

By merging teams you will always lose die hard fans on both sides. The majority will still support the team, but there will always be those who stop following.

The NRL needs to stop alienating their core fan base - Sydney. No Sydney team should be cut, relocated or merged from here on in.

I for one am not certain a Central Coast team is in the games best interests either. I feel we should be expanding to Perth and Adelaide, and then potentially a PNG team.

By doing so, we solidify our core fan base in Sydney, expand the game to compete with AFL market, thus providing genuine reason for the game to be telecast live in all states, which will push up the price for the TV rights which is better for the game, and by adding a PNG team, we can help improve the National team in PNG, to the same extent that the NSWRL/ARL/NRL etc did for New Zealand.

We also need to get back to having three genuine grades. NRL - Reserve Grade - Under 20's with more focus on reserve grade. All 16 clubs must have a team in every grade as well. That system should never have been abandoned.

morley101

Juniors

Well researced Madunit....

THe Easts leagues club group which has 3 Clubs ( Bondi Junction, Kingswood and Berkeley) and is investing 27 Million dollars into a club in Narellen are doing nothing to ensure their future ? :crazy:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well researced Madunit....

THe Easts leagues club group which has 3 Clubs ( Bondi Junction, Kingswood and Berkeley) and is investing 27 Million dollars into a club in Narellen are doing nothing to ensure their future ? :crazy:
Berkeley and Kingswood don't provide the Roosters with a great deal of income, and knowing the Roosters Leagues Club, they'll have already turned them into pokie slums.

Considering the monies those clubs make have to go back into the communities where the clubs are, they aren't making much money at all from them.

They were most likely originally purchased as assets so as to get a large loan to approve the extension of the Roosters Leagues Club back in 2005.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
People keep talking about cutting teams. This isn't the NFL, where the benefits outweigh the cost. You cut Cronulla, the Shire would stop following league, period. No followers of league in North Sydney anymore.

If Canterbury were cut, I wouldn't follow another team, and most people would feel the same. Yes I'd still watch games, yes I might still go to them, but not with the same fervor. All the casual fans who watch on telly every now and then and bandwagon would disappear, and the money that comes from them would go.

Jason Maher

Immortal
You do realise that mean is the same as average, don't you?

He's mixing up his averages, means, and medians. His statement makes sense if yoou replace 'average' with 'median'.

Something a lot of people forget when they start this drivel.

If you cut a team and bring in a new one, you are just making a whole heap of profit in the number of fans, you lose all the supporters of the cut team.

Same situation is a risk of happening by relocating.

I personally think the number of Sydney clubs must not change. If the NRL/NSWRL/ARL/CRL/QRL could all work together for a f**king change and put some genuine money, time, effort and resources into grassroots and country RL, then you'd find we'd have ample players for all the NRL clubs, including new teams.

Cutting and moving teams will never be a solution. It takes a long time for those fans to accept the change and come back to the game.

Proof in point, the two current merged clubs, Dragons and Tigers.
In 1997 - St.George avg crowd was 7222, Illawarra was 8695 - Combined 15917
It took The St.George-Illawarra entity until 2011 to eclipse that combined total
In 1999 - Balmain avg crowd was 9710, Wests was 9343 - Combined 19053
It took Wests Tigers a Grand Final victory (which neither club had seen since Balmain's in 1969) to eclpise that. It hasn't surpassed it since.

By merging teams you will always lose die hard fans on both sides. The majority will still support the team, but there will always be those who stop following.

The NRL needs to stop alienating their core fan base - Sydney. No Sydney team should be cut, relocated or merged from here on in.

I for one am not certain a Central Coast team is in the games best interests either. I feel we should be expanding to Perth and Adelaide, and then potentially a PNG team.

By doing so, we solidify our core fan base in Sydney, expand the game to compete with AFL market, thus providing genuine reason for the game to be telecast live in all states, which will push up the price for the TV rights which is better for the game, and by adding a PNG team, we can help improve the National team in PNG, to the same extent that the NSWRL/ARL/NRL etc did for New Zealand.

We also need to get back to having three genuine grades. NRL - Reserve Grade - Under 20's with more focus on reserve grade. All 16 clubs must have a team in every grade as well. That system should never have been abandoned.

Pretty much agree with all of that, except for the Bears.

Mong

Post Whore

NSW teams underlined. Non NSW teams in bold. Above average in black. Below mean but above average in red. Below mean in blue

Brisbane
Canterbury
Newcastle
Wests
St George Illawarra
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Manly
Parramatta
Sydney
South Sydney
Melbourne
Canberra
Penrith
Cronulla

5 teams above average. 4 from NSW.

Minor premiers, not from NSW - 4th last. Every NSW team in the finals got above the mean.

So you want to replace Rocky for, say, Cronulla. The Sharks average crowd would be 1/6th of Rocky's population! North Queensland - possibly the team that gets the highest percentage of residents to games, has TWO AND A HALF TIMES the population of Rocky, and a shitload more people within 400kms that Rocky. If Rocky got the same ratio of people as the Cowboys do, they would get an average of 6200!

Clearly, the NRL would be better served by bringing back Newtown that admitting Central Queensland!!!!!!

We won't see Mong or Pennywise again in this thread, unless it is to a) apologise, or b) continue to look like a complete f*cking genius!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

A lot of "ifs" there to come up with a ridiculous figure as an average crowd to suit your agenda.

Hardly compelling though even with the self proclaimed victory you added at the end

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
crowd figures, juniors area mostly.

don't get me wrong kungl, I don't want either the Sharks or the Roosters cut. I'm a traditionalist and I'm still pissed that the NRL was so quick to dump Balmain, Wests, Norths and yes, even Souths.

These 4 sides, along with Easts were the cornerstones for what the comp has now become and the least the game could have done was kept them alive.

Latest posts