What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney is Red, White and Blue

Lambretta

First Grade
On the fair dinkum stakes I have worked in the city for 10 years and have been in Melbourne during AFL GF week twice. What they do in Melbourne and the atmosphere that week shits all over Sydney regardless of who is playing.

Sydney CBD has never had any buzz for any GF since I have worked there and yes that includes 2016, 2014 and 2010.

There was a much bigger buzz around Sydney as a whole when Souths got there in 2014

I saw loads of cars decked in Red and Green, loads of people wearing Souths colours etc
From memory there were even banners up

This year it's as if there isn't a Grand Final happening at all

Having said that - people I know who are league fans are looking forward to the game
I am getting loads of neutrals wishing me well and telling me they hope we smash Melbourne

Sharks & Dogs fans seem to reserve a special dislike for Melbourne

juro

Bench
I work in Parra, and do the daily commute from Hornsby along Pennant Hills Rd. Now, granted, this is not Roosters heatland, but I have seen a total of 1 car with a Roosters flag in the build up to this grand final.

Valheru

Coach
I was in melbourne for AFL GF week in 2014 and agree with that however re Sydney it depends what you’re doing and where you are. In 2005 Balmain and Leichhardt was insane with banners, flags, ribbons, steamers in every shop, house, street corner. I was on the city on the Saturday night before the GF and there were a heap of cars driving up and down George St with Black and organe paraphernalia all night.

Living in Cronulla 2016 was the same spread across the whole Shire.

I haven’t been there this year but in 2013 I went to the movies at Bondi Junction a few nights before the GF and there was bacially nothing anywhere.

Also remembering the GF hasn’t even sold out yet, admittedly it’s not something I take great notice in previous years of but that’s pretty poor 48 hours away from it when a Sydney teams involved.

Yeah I have no doubt the traditional areas of the clubs competing have a buzz but I haven't noticed anything in the city in the week leading up to any Grand Final.

I had to play Squash at Canterbury leagues the Thursday before the 2014 GF and Belmore was going off.

Yes agree 2016 in the shire was something special but one must wonder if it would have been the same this year, there is something to be said for a drought breaking premiership and/or a bandwagon. There was absolutely no buzz for the prelim this year for example as opposed to 2016.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a shame the NRL didn't go harder at the NSW Govt about what they would do and spend on GF week in order to guarantee it remains in Sydney. Surely that was the opportune time to get the NSW Govt to put its hand in its pocket and actually care about the fact they are hosting one of the countries top sporting events. There's so much opportunity around the harbour, darling harbour and the cbd to have great public facing promotion of the GF yet when I was there last year I didn't see one single thing suggesting the GF was on that weekend. Only thing that was happening was something at an out of the way place on a Thursday morning before most Storm fans would have got into town and most Sharks fans were working.

Valheru

Coach
There was a much bigger buzz around Sydney as a whole when Souths got there in 2014

I saw loads of cars decked in Red and Green, loads of people wearing Souths colours etc
From memory there were even banners up

This year it's as if there isn't a Grand Final happening at all

Again, one has to wonder if it would have been the same this year, I highly doubt it. We had no problem outnumbering them on Saturday night and there was barely a souths fan at paddo RSL.

The emotion of a first/drought breaking grand final appearance (let alone a premiership) like 2005, 2010, 2014 and 2016 is hard to repeat. As an aside, none of those clubs have been back to a GF since.

Given we average a GF appearance every 3 years in the NRL era it is easy for roosters fans to assume that will always be the case.

STORM.99/07

Bench
I saw a car driving around sadelaide today with a Storm flag flying.(no not mine). Seen a a couple of Storm and chook fans at shopping centre last night. good to see league fans here in sadelaide

Randwick Rabbit

Juniors
Again, one has to wonder if it would have been the same this year, I highly doubt it. We had no problem outnumbering them on Saturday night and there was barely a souths fan at paddo RSL.

No problem outnumbering us? Come on, Val. I was at the game and genuinely thought that the crowd was pretty evenly split. My Roosters mate from work (he's the one in the Chook Pen every home game waving that massive flag) also thought the crowd was about 50/50. Maybe it was the fact that you guys were louder, as you had more to cheer about, that made it seem like more Roosters supporters.
As for Paddo RSL, why would any Souths fan want to go there when we all know that it's deep in the heart of Roosters territory? I myself would have no intention of going anywhere near Oxford St pre or post game. I could use the same argument that there weren't any Roosters supporters at the Keg & Brew on Foveaux St.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have no hate for Roosters.

I have no hate for Storm.

I think the Storm will be too strong, you cannot lose your general and leader and beat them.

People hate Cameron Smith, i do not, he is the best player in the game. Results prove this time and time again.

Storm winning two in a row is what will cement his place as the best, most influencial player this century.

The amount of envy in this thread.....

Hate roosters cause uncle Nick can run a club, hate Melbourne cause of news corp.

I admire them.

theo

Juniors

The emotion of a first/drought breaking grand final appearance (let alone a premiership) like 2005, 2010, 2014 and 2016 is hard to repeat. As an aside, none of those clubs have been back to a GF since.

Given we average a GF appearance every 3 years in the NRL era it is easy for roosters fans to assume that will always be the case.

It's Melbourne's 8th final appearance in 13 years averaging 1 every 1.6 years and 9th in 21 years averaging 1 every 2.3 years.

Final winners since the door was open to the rest of Australia outside of Sydney...1982, to the last final, 2017.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/final-wins.472429/#post-13145134

Last edited:

theo

Juniors
Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
No problem outnumbering us? Come on, Val. I was at the game and genuinely thought that the crowd was pretty evenly split. My Roosters mate from work (he's the one in the Chook Pen every home game waving that massive flag) also thought the crowd was about 50/50. Maybe it was that fact that you guys were louder, as you had more to cheer about, that made it seem like more Roosters supporters.
As for Paddo RSL, why would any Souths fan want to go there when we all know that it's deep in the heart of Roosters territory? I myself would have no intention of going anywhere near Oxford St pre or post game. I could use the same argument that there weren't any Roosters supporters at the Keg & Brew on Foveaux St.

Concourse was 50/50 but members and corporates was heavily in our favour.

I mention paddo rsl because it is a 5 minute walk from the stadium and a prime spot for a drink.

Randwick Rabbit

Juniors
Concourse was 50/50 but members and corporates was heavily in our favour.

I mention paddo rsl because it is a 5 minute walk from the stadium and a prime spot for a drink.

I guess I'll just take your word for it mate, I was with the plebs...
May the better team win on Sunday.

big hit!

Bench

I can say same for Souths, you know, because I was sitting in the half of the stadium where all the Souths fans were sitting.

And why would we go to Paddo when we had all those options in Surry Hills, Redfern, etc...you know, Souths territory.

The only place I could tell Easts fans outnumbered Souths was waiting for trains on platform 18 of central station, heading way out f**king west (the irony), whereas Souths fans were congregated on 19 heading to newtown, stanmore, petersham etc.

with GF coming up and your general lame, you're still more concerned with the distribution of crowd a week ago? sounds like the Grand Final has already been played by Easts supporters and resigned to losing tomorrow night.

Lambretta

First Grade
No problem outnumbering us? Come on, Val.

Funny. I thought that the Paddington Colts were Souths Juniors.... oh hold on, yeah Randwick, Coogee and Kensington.

The reason there were no Roosters at the Keg and Brew is because they were at the Aurora. $5 Newtowner and Three Pines. Awesome.