What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney relocations

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Because even if we do lose fans in Sydney by cutting their clubs (which isn't necessarily true if we do it properly) we know that we can more then replace them in other areas!

We don't know that. No one can be sure that more clubs in other areas would do better than the clubs you remove. Fans of those clubs may abandon the sport altogether, leaving us with 7 weak teams and 2 teams with no history or soul.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We don't know that. No one can be sure that more clubs in other areas would do better than the clubs you remove. Fans of those clubs may abandon the sport altogether, leaving us with 7 weak teams and 2 teams with no history or soul.

In some cases we do know with 90%+ certainty that we can more then make up for the loss of old fans in the potential new city ( Brisbane being the best example), and as has been explained a million times, even if the two cut clubs fans do stop following the sport then that's a loss of only about 30k active fans, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

We would not lose all future generations from the area if we control the damage properly and the sky wont fall down in a fiery inferno that destroys all life on Earth!

And even if the rationalization does fail for whatever reasons, which I don't deny is a possibility, then there is always the option of restating the cut club and renegading those fans that we left behind (ala. Oakland Raiders).

So in a case like this we have little to lose and a huge amount to gain, and following the American sporting industry and the AFL's lead and learning from their mistakes and triumphs is the best way to go.

RL isn't a charity, it's a business.

NSW teams have been the proverbial anchor to any form of expanison as a result of them not getting 'there house in order', self-interest and inability to do what's right for the game to progress. Decade after decade propping up these clubs waiting for them to get by it's farcical considering these clubs had decades of history and tradition built into there respective clubs and they are still going nowhere.

Waiting for them to be sustainable while other codes pass RL by is holding the game back. Ideally, by the end of this decade (surely) there be WA & Brisbane 2. Hopefully, by then some of the Sydney clubs aleast got there house in order after decades and decades of time by then.

So much for 'heartland' if the clubs are nothing but unsustainable.

georgesnmith

Juniors
In some cases we do know with 90%+ certainty that we can more then make up for the loss of old fans in the potential new city ( Brisbane being the best example), and as has been explained a million times, even if the two cut clubs fans do stop following the sport then that's a loss of only about 30k active fans, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

We would not lose all future generations from the area if we control the damage properly and the sky wont fall down in a fiery inferno that destroys all life on Earth!

And even if the rationalization does fail for whatever reasons, which I don't deny is a possibility, then there is always the option of restating the cut club and renegading those fans that we left behind (ala. Oakland Raiders).

So in a case like this we have little to lose and a huge amount to gain, and following the American sporting industry and the AFL's lead and learning from their mistakes and triumphs is the best way to go.

RL isn't a charity, it's a business.

OK lets boot out canberra then lol

georgesnmith

Juniors
Gosh you really don't know what is going on in your own back yard do you? I love your passion for all things sydney but seriously most clubs are barley scraping by despite a $1mill hand out and a grant increase of $2mill a year. Grant wants clubs on $19-20mill, 75% of Sydney clubs won't be close to that. Most Sydney clubs are still getting $1-3mill a year from leagues clubs and are still struggling. St's cronulla, Penrith, Manly, and they are the ones we know of in financial strife. The Balmain part of the Tigers isn't putting in and leading to Tigers needing NRL bail out. Some clubs have very limited corporate income and sposorship opportunities sat empty. There is a very long way to go for some clubs to be self sustaining, if we wait to expand until they are then i will be in the ground before Perth gets a team!

with the central ground strategy every club that uses ANZ will be making a million instead of losing at suburban grounds

clubs memberships are rising dramatically, that will probably add another 1 million

having a stadium giving you a minimum guaranteed income of $1 million to play there plus bonuses if crowds break 20k is a huge advantage

georgesnmith

Juniors
if you want rugby league to grow you dont make it weaker at its heart.

pretty simple logic.

enjoy the bulldogs / roosters people, wonder what part of australia they come from?

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL just got a 1.2 billion TV deal without teams in adelaide in perth.

how did it do that?

Maybe it would have got $1.5billion with teams in Adelaide and Perth?

If I'm an Australian national company with no particular preference would I chose
1. Code A with clubs in 4 States
2. code B with clubs in all states

Be honest.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You do realise that any new club, by the very nature of being new, will have no history don't you? :D How much histpry did Rabbitohs or Bulldogs have in their first year of existence?
As for soul, please explain what a club needs to have "soul" apart from james Brown on the PA system.

Perth Red

Post Whore
if you want rugby league to grow you dont make it weaker at its heart.

pretty simple logic.

enjoy the bulldogs / roosters people, wonder what part of australia they come from?

Will it get more than 20k? Last week Dockers drew 35k in the rain. NRL in Perth at the same KO time got 12k in the rain for two neutral clubs. If this game between two of the top Sydney clubs in a modern stadium with cheap tickets doesn't get a decent crowd (25-30k) then it is a classic example of the issues Sydney faces. Penrith and Parra drew what the other day on a sunny sunday afternoon? You tell me how two Sydney clubs drawing 14k is a good result for the game.

If you have some faulty valves in your heart you don't carry on wheezing and impaired, you get them replaced with fit and healthy ones!

newman

First Grade
2 men and a dog at the SFS tonight. I reckon the ARLC are holding an extraordinary meeting right now and by the final whistle the chooks will be sent to Rangoon, Burma and the dogs to Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Canada. It's madness to keep them in Sydney.

newman

First Grade
2 men and a dog at the SFS tonight. I reckon the ARLC are holding an extraordinary meeting right now and by the final whistle the chooks will be sent to Rangoon, Burma and the dogs to Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Canada. It's madness to keep them in Sydney.

Wait, wait, Donny Weirdly is reporting from Moore Park that the stadium is not ready in Rangoon and the chooks will be going to the horsehead nebula instead.

The Great Dane

First Grade
OK lets boot out canberra then lol

I don't think that would be a good idea.

. We'd lose the only club in the ACT.

. The clubs stable and stands on it's own two feet.

. We provide a massive amount of juniors and it wouldn't be easy for another club to manage our juniors base on top of their own.

. Because of the clubs geographical distance from the other clubs it'd be hard for one of the other clubs to have a sustainable long term presences here.

. We'd be losing a nationally recognized brand (which is the case for every rationalization I admit).

. And of lesser concern but a concern non the less, removing the Raiders and not filling the hole left in the ACT-southern NSW market with another team would leave room for a GWS relocation to Canberra if they are forced to relocate, which could have terrible results on RL in the ACT and southern NSW and is a realistically possibility.

The only benefits that I can see from rationalizing the Raiders would be that we would get a club in a bigger market (with more sponsorship opportunities and everything that comes alone with that) and the new club would have more active fans.

So IMO the cons outweigh the pros for a Raiders relocation.

But if the sad day does ever come for the Raiders to be rationalized, I think we'd offer the Steelers a better deal and see if we could survive that way :lol:.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Come on George explain to us again how the premiers v the 2nd biggest club in Sydney getting 12.5k at a decent stadium reflects the importance of Sydney clubs to the game lol

bobmar28

Bench
No Sydney club should be folded, merged, relocated or anything. End of.

It is a nonsense that the game is not growing, or is somehow in trouble.

Take a look at the near empty ANZ and Alliance. That can't continue.

bobmar28

Bench
the averages are like that pretty much all the time.

sydney clubs in general are at the NRL average

as a group sydney clubs dont drag crowds down

and ill bet if someone worked out the averages across all sydney clubs its actually increasing

i can see every sydney club having big crowd growth from current levels

Big crowd growth? It's been more than 100 years. When will stadiums be full?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Canberra has one team. Why would you kick them out? Sydney has nine which is way too many.

I don't propose kicking them out.But isn't the answer obvious?

The one team they have contributes less to the game than any Sydney team does.

They have been around for over 30 years, when will we see the up side?

They can't seem to keep or attract good players. They play outdoors in a winter sport in one if the coldest places in Australia....