What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu comes home

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Eels are aware that the NRL still has a salary cap right?

I suppose you're privy to our books?

We're getting rid of a lot of players, several deals have been back-ended and we're reportedly going to use a third party sponsor to pay for Tahu. Combine that with the fact he can get paid by the ARU and it's not such a hard thing to imagine.

Bazal

Post Whore
Paid overs for Justin Poore though, did well signing Shack and Tahu though.

To be fair we pretty much had to...we needed a top level prop, and at that stage we looked like busteds. We were always going to have to offer more to attract good players sadly

Brutus

Referee
Excellent. Now he won't be wasting space on the Wallabies bench anymore. Worst attempted rugby union convert ever.

And he still played for the Wallabies :lol:

Bad union converts to league barely get out of 2nd grade.

Thomas

First Grade
bahahaha...yet another player to come back with their tail between their legs coz union is the devil.

It has nothing to do with union. He was either injured or not good enough this past season. He spent the whole time in the stands watching or on the bench watching.

If he'd been healthy and getting regular run-on games he would still be in RU.

Paullyboy

Coach
I suppose you're privy to our books?

and we're reportedly going to use a third party sponsor to pay for Tahu.

I could easily be wrong here, but isn't that the exact thing the Dogs and Raiders were caught cheating the cap for? How is that possibly allowed?

Hurriflatch

Referee
I could easily be wrong here, but isn't that the exact thing the Dogs and Raiders were caught cheating the cap for? How is that possibly allowed?

There are rules in place to allow for legal 3rd party deals but certain conditions must be met such as the maximum amount a player can recieve, a maximum amount that the club can have players on

for example a single player may only be allowed to earn 200,000 while the club can only have a maximum of 3 players and 500,000 in 3rd party deals (these numbers are by no means official just random to make my point)

oh and one very important point that the dogs forgot about

they must make it known to the NRL that these players are on these deals.

Parramatta have already met with Ian Schubert and the NRL to discuss the terms for Tahu's deal.

detrius

Juniors
And he still played for the Wallabies :lol:

Bad union converts to league barely get out of 2nd grade.

Tahu looked great for Aus A last season when he was finally fit and got some chances with the Wallabies through injuries, but got owned badly in defence in SA.

When is the last time a top rugby player moved to the NRL?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Brad Thorn.

Brad played for the Broncoes after being the number one forward for the all blacks.

He was unfit, got selected later in the year however for QLD based on loyalty by Wayne Bennett and was not up to the task.

Went back to Union, instant pick for the all blacks.

Tahu looked great for Aus A last season when he was finally fit and got some chances with the Wallabies through injuries, but got owned badly in defence in SA.

When is the last time a top rugby player moved to the NRL?

Rugby Union players?

Sam Harris?

Gun player that one, he was so good for the Wests Tigers that even his wikipedia page doesn't mention his stint there.

Before that, Tony D'Arcy?

He was pretty good wasn't he?

detrius

Juniors
Rugby Union players?

Sam Harris?

Gun player that one, he was so good for the Wests Tigers that even his wikipedia page doesn't mention his stint there.

Before that, Tony D'Arcy?

He was pretty good wasn't he?

I don't even think Harris would rate himself as anything more than pedestrian, D'Arcy was like 27 years ago

aqua_duck

Coach
Brad Thorn.

Brad played for the Broncoes after being the number one forward for the all blacks.

He was unfit, got selected later in the year however for QLD based on loyalty by Wayne Bennett and was not up to the task.

Went back to Union, instant pick for the all blacks.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Brad Thorn was a bench player for the all blacks

Eelementary

Post Whore

My understanding is as long as the majority of his deal doesn't come from the third party sponsor it's legitimate.
Eg: If he's promised $200,000 per season and the sponsor pays $100,000 that's not right; he's a $200,000 per season player only costing us $100,000.

But the issue here is he's taking a paycut - partially because he wants to return to league and partially because he can get a nice payout from the ARU.

3 year deal is a big gamble for an injury prone 29 year old

Absolutely. But you cannot deny the man's natural ability.

Eels Dude

Coach
My understanding is as long as the majority of his deal doesn't come from the third party sponsor it's legitimate.
Eg: If he's promised $200,000 per season and the sponsor pays $100,000 that's not right; he's a $200,000 per season player only costing us $100,000.

But the issue here is he's taking a paycut - partially because he wants to return to league and partially because he can get a nice payout from the ARU.

Absolutely. But you cannot deny the man's natural ability.

From what I've read, the club is also speaking with Ian Schubert to make sure Tahu's signing is completely legal under salary cap rules prior to actually signing him. 3rd party deals from what I understand are completely legal as long as those 3rd parties are not officially associated with the club in anyway, say for example a sponsor.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Brad Thorn was a bench player for the all blacks

He finished up as a starting lock for the all blacks by the 2003WC semi-final.

He again has become a starting lock for the all-blacks.

I agree he did start on the bench, it took him 3 or 4 games to become a "world famous all-black"

it took him around 10 to cement a starting spot.