What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu is a muppet: Cannon

Eels Dude

Coach
International matches have to be the biggest if you want the game to succeed on a World stage. In league the game is undermined by the state of origin over hype we get. The greatest annual clash in the world? If you live in one of two states maybe. Your not even World champs though so maybe not for the rest of us.

So what? That's not the point. It's all about what's more important to each respective code. I doubt the AFL players get hyped up about playing a hybrid game against the best of the best in gaelic football either, and they're the strongest football code in Australia.

In league we have a very strong domestic competition in Australia, and a fantastic interstate rivalry and competition between NSW and QLD. If NZ and other countries pick up their game and compete with Australia regularly then the international game may actually become something. That's not the Australia's job though.

Cannon's comments are dumb because playing for Australia cannot be the pinnacle in a sport where the international competition is lacking. SOO is stronger and a lot more people here care about SOO as opposed to the Bledisloe Cup and whatever other cups they play for in RU.

Paullyboy

Coach
And how much of Aust have you been to? I assume you have little time for them cos you live in an ignorant snobbish bubble somewhere!

Without turning this into a "I've travelled more than you brag-fest", I've been to every capital city in Australia multiple times (except Hobart, never been there). To add to this, I grew up in QLD and have now lived in Sydney for a year and a half because of work. So fair to say I'm not ignorant nor do I live in a bubble.

How strange. How can you hate a part of the country? Is it the topography, the architecture, the people, the cliamte, or the flora and fauna that causes such an obscure hatred?:sarcasm:

I hate the people of Victoria. They are the most arrogant people I've met. They top Frenchmen and Americans comfortably. I'm ashamed to associate them with my great country.

And for the record I don't particularly like the climate of anywhere south of Coffs Harbour, but it's easier just to say that the only areas in Australia with a climate I like are Queensland (and NT and northern WA).

Does that justify it enough for you lot?

Paullyboy

Coach
The final in Europe was a good match though, even though there was only one try. Tense at the end. Problem is nowadays people think that only tries make a good game.

I take the other point and think that people like yourself automatically associate a close (or tense) finish with being a good game. Whilst it's great to have a nail-biter, it doesn't always mean it was a good game.

The Socceroos/All-Whites game the other night was one of the most boring sporting events ever held. The players were so far under par and it showed, yet because it was close untill the end I heard people at the pub saying what a great game it had been. It wasn't, it was a terrible game, but because it was close people assume that it was good.

WireMan

Bench
I take the other point and think that people like yourself automatically associate a close (or tense) finish with being a good game. Whilst it's great to have a nail-biter, it doesn't always mean it was a good game.

The Socceroos/All-Whites game the other night was one of the most boring sporting events ever held. The players were so far under par and it showed, yet because it was close untill the end I heard people at the pub saying what a great game it had been. It wasn't, it was a terrible game, but because it was close people assume that it was good.

I don't automatically associate anything. It just happens the game the person who wrote that blog picked on was a game that was actually quite tense. Given that sport is an emotional game, it really helps improve a game. I didn't actually care who won but you could feel it through the telly. This made the game better to watch. As for the standard, well i don't know how it compared to other union games as i don't watch that many. Seemed good and they were the best teams in Europe so it couldn't of been that bad.

Just because there was one try though doesn't automatically mean it was a dull game. I saw the Knights vs Tigers the other day. It had more trys in it but i wouldn't say it was better.

Maybe the soccer game you saw was rubbish. I've been bored at 9-0 victories though, and been impressed at the quality of a 1-0 win. I guess the point i'm making is simply its wrong to associate trys with game quality. Just like its wrong to assume if someone gets done in one code he is rubbish.

In my opinion Steve Hitstirrer just misses the point completely.

Quick question, would you rather your state win this years SOO or the Aus RU team win the World cup in NZ? Or your soccer team win in SA? What about your RL team winning the next World cup in the UK?

drake

First Grade
Steve Hitstirrer? Smells pseudonym to me. Good shot back at Cannon.

Union doesn't need backs at all past the halfback.

I still agree with the toff wanker though; Tahu is a muppet.

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't automatically associate anything. It just happens the game the person who wrote that blog picked on was a game that was actually quite tense. Given that sport is an emotional game, it really helps improve a game. I didn't actually care who won but you could feel it through the telly. This made the game better to watch. As for the standard, well i don't know how it compared to other union games as i don't watch that many. Seemed good and they were the best teams in Europe so it couldn't of been that bad.

Just because there was one try though doesn't automatically mean it was a dull game. I saw the Knights vs Tigers the other day. It had more trys in it but i wouldn't say it was better.

Maybe the soccer game you saw was rubbish. I've been bored at 9-0 victories though, and been impressed at the quality of a 1-0 win. I guess the point i'm making is simply its wrong to associate trys with game quality. Just like its wrong to assume if someone gets done in one code he is rubbish.

In my opinion Steve Hitstirrer just misses the point completely.

Fair enough, I also enjoy a good defensive game and am not suggesting high-scoring games are automatically better. The point I was trying to make was that a close finish doesn't necessarily mean a good game. It appears you can see past that, but I know plenty of others struggle with this concept.

Quick question, would you rather your state win this years SOO or the Aus RU team win the World cup in NZ? Or your soccer team win in SA? What about your RL team winning the next World cup in the UK?

In order, based on the options above:

Queensland winning origin
Daylight
More daylight
Australia winning the league world cup
Australia winning the soccer world cup
Australia winning the union world cup (to be honest, I don't want this to happen, I want the Wallabies to lose as I despise their sport).

Thomas

First Grade
Steve Hitstirrer? Smells pseudonym to me. Good shot back at Cannon.

Union doesn't need backs at all past the halfback.

I still agree with the toff wanker though; Tahu is a muppet.

Perhaps you should watch some union games that have been played since 1976. You might learn a few things.

dragondad

First Grade
Perhaps you should watch some union games that have been played since 1976. You might learn a few things.

Sorry,maybe I should rephrase that.They dont need anyone outside the inside centre.Also,if you are an outside back,don't learn how to use the ball or anything,just learn how to kick it.

Paullyboy

Coach
That's a fair point. Makes you wonder why union don't go after AFL players to play on the wing - all they've got to do is catch and kick, and that's essentially the only 2 skills required in AFL (although they do only succeed with the catching part 25% of the time, and in union they wouldn't be allowed to fumble the ball around untill someone with coordination turned up - but still, a union winger is closer to an AFL player than a league player)

Thomas

First Grade
Sorry,maybe I should rephrase that.They dont need anyone outside the inside centre.Also,if you are an outside back,don't learn how to use the ball or anything,just learn how to kick it.

Again, perhaps you should watch some RU from the last few years.

You might also be surprised that there is more kicking in a game of rugby league than there is in a game of rugby union.

In one game this year the Qld Reds team kicked the ball a grand total of 11 times in the one game. 11 times. There's a kick in every completed set in league.

Now that the rules have changed to give the attacking team the advantage at the ruck there is even less and less kicking.

WireMan

Bench
Again, perhaps you should watch some RU from the last few years.

You might also be surprised that there is more kicking in a game of rugby league than there is in a game of rugby union.

In one game this year the Qld Reds team kicked the ball a grand total of 11 times in the one game. 11 times. There's a kick in every completed set in league.

Now that the rules have changed to give the attacking team the advantage at the ruck there is even less and less kicking.

The rule about the defender not having to get off nearly killed the game of Union. That was horrible. As was dragging down a maul rule. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Union does have some good moves, players and tries. I cannot understand why people can't except that. I prefer league, i grew up on league and i think the players are more skilful/better and the game is more exciting. Doesn't mean i have not seen some stinkers of games in any country every season though.

Tahu got found out in Union because he wasn't good enough. It seems similar is happening in League. Give him time to adjust though, he may come good again.

drake

First Grade
I remember that when Sailor defected he was criticised for trying to stay in the field of play, rather than kicking or running it out. Union is a forward's game, the backs are there to feed the forwards, create set plays for forwards (Superhugs and atomic wedgies) or to finish off after the 50th maul down the field.
I can't watch union, it's just too boring waiting for the exciting plays when it actually reaches it potential.

roughyedspud

Coach
One thing I'll never grasp about rugby league - and this isn't intended to be a shot at the code - is how playing for the Kangaroos is secondary to playing for NSW or Queensland in Origin.

Look at the fanfare State of Origin is currently generating compared to the treatment the Anzac Test received in Melbourne this month.

Origin is everything, which for me, is just all wrong.

It's a sad reflection when you openly have some of the game's finest athletes endorsing playing for their state ahead of playing for their country wearing the green and gold.

I just don't get that

erm......he's got a point you know...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
erm......he's got a point you know...

The problem is, Australia is by far the best at their trade in league. Union is a pretty evenly matched affair between numerous countries.

SOO you see the best of the best pegged against each other. International matches you see the best pegged against what could be considered your average NRL side. It's a vastly different situation.

Eels Dude

Coach
The problem is, Australia is by far the best at their trade in league. Union is a pretty evenly matched affair between numerous countries.

SOO you see the best of the best pegged against each other. International matches you see the best pegged against what could be considered your average NRL side. It's a vastly different situation.

Agreed. And that's why Brendan Cannon's point is stupid there. Great for rugby, but completely different in rugby league and it doesn't take a genius to work out why.

Coastbloke

Bench
Hang about, I'll just get my calculator out..

Umm...lessee..

S00 = Australia's best 34 players..

Kangaroos = Australia's best 17 players..

2005 - Kiwis def Australia
2006 - Kiwis draw with Aust and Roos win in extra time (same tourny the Poms beat us in Sydney)
2008 - Kiwis take the world cup..

As much as I'm a Kangaroos fan, I believe the Kiwis best 17 beat Australia's best 17 out of a pool of 34 players from the 'pinnacle' of League, the SOO (I was being sarcastic about the pinnacle bit)

State of Origin is a hyped up club game..Soccer is a perfect example of hype over substance..

If the International were marketed right, I can think of quite a few Tests in recent years that deserved SOO crowds and were much much better games..

This is League's problem and I suspect that they will do little because they are happy to sell hype to dumbass merkins who think SOO beats Tests..

Cannon had it right..

Latest posts