What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Apey

Staff member
^ ^ Lmao if that's true :lol:

It is sounding like Tahu has taken person exception to an off-the-cuff remark by Johns that was never intended to be offensive towards Tahu in particular.

I can certainly understand Tahu taking exception, especially if it was a racist remark. However I don't really understand leaving a SOO camp over it. He seems to have dealt with it pretty poorly.

Tahu should have just said something or thrown a few punches to let Johns know that he felt what he said was out of line.

Surely there is more to it. Seems like an excuse to leave.

I actually have to say I kinda respect Tahu for taking a stand like this, it's obviously an issue he feels strongly about and he wants to make sure stuff like this isn't still happening.

If I was him I wouldn't walk away from SoO however I can understand his reasoning.

league

Juniors
it's inexcusable from Johns. There's a certain line that you don't cross and Johnss crossed it. Some people get offended by racist remarks which is completely understandable. Johns is a cun7

Shorty

Staff member
oh lord Tahu, what a drama queen. i don't care what was said...you don't walk out on your state like that. surely you can deal with it in a different way?
Well, I suppose Tahu supports integrity and respect for his culture.
I'm surprised by your opinion on this..
It's funny how nobody is saying Joey was an inconsiderate moron.

Someone

Bench
f**k Johns, f**k slater, f**k kiki, f**k everything.

Tahu isnt the only person that should be in the NSW squad mate. Andrew 'Pill popping' Johns should just FOAD.

Im not going to criticise Johns on his racist slur because i call Inglis a 'black merkin' aswell. Not because im racist but because he is a merkin that happens to be aboriginal. I dont believe that is racism anymore.

Noa

First Grade
soft from Tahu imo

Not really, much braver stance doing what he did.

Lets not make Timana the issue anyway, a rep assistant coach operating in a multi-cultural sport being incredibly unprofessional and ignorant is the issue.

Shorty

Staff member
Im not going to criticise Johns on his racist slur because i call Inglis a 'black merkin' aswell. Not because im racist but because he is a merkin that happens to be aboriginal. I dont believe that is racism anymore.
LOL Happens? Considering you have to use the word black in front of merkin it's clear it doesn't just happen...it's clear it's the center of the slang.

Do you call Slater a white merkin?

F**k still so much ignorance.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Perhap's Cumberland - Tahu's made his dosh. He doesn't need to put up with racist shi7 anymore. He's financially secure and can tell racists what he thinks of them now.

Idris, Hayne and Leaoryd-Lars are young and still need to earn.

Raider_69

Post Whore
[LEFT said:
Noa[/LEFT];6673313]Not really, much braver stance doing what he did.

Lets not make
Timana
the issue anyway, a rep assistant coach operating in a multi-cultural sport being incredibly unprofessional and ignorant is the issue.

I think its a weak option. He had many other ways to make his point

all he's done is quit on his team and on his coach

that
doesnt negate the intolerance and stupidity of Johns who should be dealt with in an appropriate manner, but Tahu's reaction has been very over the top imo
there are several other dark skinned players in the side who
didntfeel the need to create drama and quit over it.

StormChaser

First Grade
LOL Happens? Considering you have to use the word black in front of merkin it's clear it doesn't just happen...it's clear it's the center of the slang.

Do you call Slater a white merkin?

F**k still so much ignorance.
Save your breath with that one Shorty, he's not operating on full brain capacity. It's all he can do to type, drool, and bang his head on the keyboard at the same time.

As for Timana, I'm not gonna judge him, how can we? We don't even know what was said or why it affected him so much.
As for Joey, maybe it's time he stuck to his career in the media and realised his days in the spotlight on the playing field are over.

matt

Juniors
I think its a weak option. He had many other ways to make his point
all he's done is quit on his team and on his coach

that doesnt negate the intolerance and stupidity of Johns who should be dealt with in an appropriatemanner, but Tahu'sreaction has been very over the top imo
there are several other dark skinned players in the side who didntfeel the need to create drama and quit over it.

I think you mean well tanned.

eelsta

Bench
Timana knew he would cop a lot of flak over this, but still followed his convictions

doesnt seem like a soft option to me

simmo1

First Grade
Great news. Now all we need is Joey to have a few words with Gidley, White and Scott so that NSW have a chance of taking it to the third game.

JB

Juniors
fair point, but even if it is racial bound. Mates rib mates about all kinds of sh*t, i get ribbed for my lisp, one of my mates gets ribbed for his lazy eye, one for being a Mediterranean Descendant, another for being adopted, and other for being black. Its just a laugh, and if one of us steps over the line, we apologise and get on with matters

I know it's for laughs, but f**k me....how the hell can simply being black be something that's comparable to having a lisp or a lazy eye? Sheeesus!

Fibroman

First Grade
All I know is if I was in a team, and an aboriginal player referred to an opposition player as a white merkin, I wouldn't walk away from my team mates, but then again I haven't got a chip on my shoulder about my acestors being convicts on the first fleet.

Evenflow

Bench
^ ^ Lmao if that's true :lol:

It is sounding like Tahu has taken person exception to an off-the-cuff remark by Johns that was never intended to be offensive towards Tahu in particular.

I can certainly understand Tahu taking exception, especially if it was a racist remark. However I don't really understand leaving a SOO camp over it. He seems to have dealt with it pretty poorly.

Tahu should have just said something or thrown a few punches to let Johns know that he felt what he said was out of line.

Surely there is more to it. Seems like an excuse to leave.

Spot on. If the racist remark was meant with any sort of malice i could totally understand Tahu's reaction but if it was said in jest which from early reports it was, especially given they've been mates for years IMO Tahu has blown this right out of proportion. Even more so with the fact that they've known each other for so long you and you'd think if he was so offended he'd have pulled Joey aside and talked it out man to man to work it out before sooking off.

Maybe my mates and i have a different sort of friendship but with us absolutely anything can be said in jest which it often is and we just laugh it off and we fire a shot back. That includes a bloke who's of a minority race and wehn we give it to him he calls us white cuties straight back :lol: If it comes out that Johns said something that was meant with malice i'll change my opinion but if not i'll say that Tahu is just being precious. It was only this week he was whinging about Slater being a sledger on field so the evidence is mounting that could very well be the case. Oh well he shouldn't have even been in the team anyway so i think it's a blessing in disguise in that respect.

Good luck to Monas, i know he hasn't had much game time this year but i reckon he'll add a helluva lot more to the team than Tahu.

Last edited:

Latest posts