What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

ANTiLAG

First Grade
... I can understand why he'd be angry with him but walking out on the team is not the right way to teach Johns that that sort of language is unacceptable. It punishes the team and himself more than anything.

Wrong. By walking out he has humiliated Johns and brought the issue into public domain.

It sends a very strong message that if coaches make racist comments players will walk out and expose the comments to the public.

NSW can replace him - but Joey cannot retract the comments!

Johns has walked now too.
The question is why did johns have to walk if what being reported is true? he should have been sacked well before Tahu needed to walk.
NSWRL= Soft.

StormChaser

First Grade
Wrong. By walking out he has humiliated Johns and brought the issue into public domain.

It sends a very strong message that if coaches make racist comments players will walk out and expose the comments to the public.

And how is that a bad thing? Racist comments should not be tolerated in any context and certainly not by coaching staff towards players.
It should be out in the open. This kind of thing gets swept under the carpet way too much.

Having said all that, I don't agree with him quitting the team, but then we don't know exactly what was said or how badly it affected him so we can't really judge.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Johns = needs to learn how to be politically correct.
Tahu = sook.

I would have said

Johns = intolerant wanker
Tahu = sook
but close enough for me

Monaghan is a better winger than Tahu anyways. Is there anyway we can get johns to offend Giddley and White?

Slackboy72

Coach

But there would have been other ways to shame or expose him publicly. It didn't need him to punish himself in the process. If the NSW management had been told and did nothing then it's another matter but their comments indicate that they didn't even know why he walked.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
he was on 2GB earlier and said it had been investigated by Craig Young who is a former cop and he saw no reason for him to be sacked and other players were happy for Johns to stay

Given the fact we now know it was racist comments we can conclude that according to this report the former cop thinks racist comments while acting in a professional capacity are not grounds for dismissal. :oops:

I think the cop probably knows criminal enforcement law but only a little about employment law given this conclusion. Makes me wonder how mnay other former cops think racist comments while at work are not grounds for dismissal.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Greg Inglis, Jonathon Thurston, Willie Tonga and Sam Thaiday getting ready to hand out a massive beat-down methinks.

Well done Joey for giving them just a little more motivation.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And how is that a bad thing? Racist comments should not be tolerated in any context and certainly not by coaching staff towards players.
It should be out in the open. This kind of thing gets swept under the carpet way too much... but then we don't know exactly what was said or how badly it affected him so we can't really judge.

I agree. Refer to the quote my text responded too.

Dazzat

First Grade
maintain the rage daz! i can't be punished enough!

Joey probably thought he escaped punishment ... took drugs all those years never being suspended once.

Instead, NSW put him up on a pedestal. Told him he was the best.

This day was inevitable.

You reap what you sow.

Noa

First Grade
Apparently it was in reference to Inglis.

Bad, bad move, I see 3 or 4 tries and NSW longing for the days of Steve Turner and Wolfman come Wednesday.

I simply don't understand racism..... How the f**k can someone judge a person based upon their ethnicity or colour of their skin?

We are all the same race, just with physical variations. A black person is a homo sapien just like a white person is

Shorty

Staff member
Oh yeah - the friendly socially acceptable racism that still says you're inferior to me because of your skin colour but its okay because I'm talking about the opposition player not you personally.

Its about time Australia woke up. Australia is as synonomous to white superiority as it is to vegemite. Joey did not just let himself down. Given his high profile celebrity status he actually let the country down.

Do you want NSW to be known as 1980's Joberg or Texas?
Spot on.
Keeks are you channeling your inner politician? :lol:
LOL:lol:
stand up to him by all means.

run away from the problem? no.
Tell me how he was running away?
Why should Tahu have to stay and deal with something that has offended him?
He's taking a stand.
There's a whole problem here with socially acceptable racism.