What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Danish

Referee
it always baffles my mind why being called black, when you are black, is seen as insulting.

I mean really, if someone were to say that I am an aussie merkin, or a greek merkin, or a brown haired merkin, I'd personally feel more insulting by the merkin part.

Also, surely Johns could plead his case through the simple fact that it was an apt discription. Inglis IS black, and he IS a merkin.

Apey

Staff member
We're already well aware merkin is part of Joey's regular vocabulary also :lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
People who are bothered by the past are destined to never achieve anything in the future.

That is particularly the case for someone like Tahu, who would have grown up in exactly the same (if not better) society than I did.

I hate people using excuses about their ancestors as a reason for why they feel hard done by. It's the softest option possible.

Wrong. People who are bothered by the past often try to reshape the future.

Wrong. Tahu's achievments in sport are magnificent. He may not be in the top 100 League players of all time. But he would make the list for the top 100 players since NRL commenced. I would htink racism has always bothered him.

You grew up in Aboriginal hostels? Doubt it.

How is blaming mistreatment of ancestors softest option possible? Besides irrelevant point - Tahu is upset by Johns current comments - nothing to do with ancestry. Shame on you Andrew Johns. Shame.

isaiah

Bench
And if this happens, that's the core of Joey's problems.

In my opinion someone with Joey's history shouldn't be put in a position of authority until he deals with a few personal issues.

Yes he was a great player, but he will never be a leader of people until he is called to task for years of drug abuse (not to mention things such as abuse of officials).

What does that mean in practical terms? Instead of being appointed assistant coach of the NSW team, he should be educating young people where drug abuse leads. He should be educating the public about bi-polar.

If he faces his past, he'll be equipped to build a better future.

i agree with this wholeheartedly

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I will never understand why being called a "black c..t" is so offensive. The only way that could possibly be deemed offensive in my eyes would be if you were ashamed of your heritage. If someone calls me a "white c..t" I'd have absolutely no issue with it. People call each other names all the time, it's just part of life, why people get offended when there is a colour in front of that name is beyond me.

Why does putting the "c bomb" at the end of something automatically make it so horrible? Fair dinkum, if you are offended by words like that, you need to grow up. Political correctness has turned society into a pack of wankers.

Being called a black merkin has been offensive since redneck f**ks started to use the term to disparage an entire race. If tahu thinks it's offensive then it is.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah Joey's charmed life has meant he has never been called to account and resulted in him thinking he could make comments like this.

Loving Joey's friends in the media suggesting Tahu "overreacted." To say Tahu overreacted is to say that Aboriginals should not find racists comments offensive and just suck it up. Why should they? The filth that thinks racist comments are okay are the problem, not people taking offense to the comments.

Rusty

Juniors
I have to laugh at all the psychologist that are commenting on what Johns should do.
I'm sure WE all have deep dark secrets but have you ever had to share these with the world? He has been publicly crucified for all his wrong doings all of his career. Let him move on with his life and stop delving into the past.

TBH I thought his comments were actually worse....

cornerposter

Juniors
When Timana can explain to me why a photo of wayne rooney mouth wide opened celebrating a goal next to a photo of monkey doing a similar pose is funny whilst a photo of say Thierry Henry doing the same next to the same monkey photo is no longer funny, but racist - i'll pity the sook.
If you don't get the difference then I suggest you log off, head down the pub, buy Joey a consoling ale and sit and talk about why all the black merkins are out to get ya.

Did his stance stop anyone of the 236,751 remarks said in the same context flung about tonight in various homes, parties, clubs around
Newcastle alone.

it always baffles my mind why being called black, when you are black, is seen as insulting.
I gotta feeling your mind's often in this state

Rusty

Juniors
And if this happens, that's the core of Joey's problems.

In my opinion someone with Joey's history shouldn't be put in a position of authority until he deals with a few personal issues.

Yes he was a great player, but he will never be a leader of people until he is called to task for years of drug abuse (not to mention things such as abuse of officials).

What does that mean in practical terms? Instead of being appointed assistant coach of the NSW team, he should be educating young people where drug abuse leads. He should be educating the public about bi-polar.

If he faces his past, he'll be equipped to build a better future.

He has dealt with his problems PUBLICLY...that is why dickheads like you feel you have the right to discuss them on forums such as these. As far as educating people on bi polar, he has done fundraisers with the Black Dog Institute. He has alot to offer the game much like the days when he was playing. Unfortunately he screwed up unintentionally.
What in the hell gives you the right to bring up his bi polar disorder and his apparent "personal issues"? It has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread...ffs

abpanther

Staff member
I can't be bothered looking through all 29 pages of this thread, has any of it actually been dedicated to discuss the merits of selection Monaghan and the fact that he has only played 3 games this season and has been selected? What a joke!!!

Dazzat

First Grade
He has dealt with his problems PUBLICLY...that is why dickheads like you feel you have the right to discuss them on forums such as these. As far as educating people on bi polar, he has done fundraisers with the Black Dog Institute. He has alot to offer the game much like the days when he was playing. Unfortunately he screwed up unintentionally.
What in the hell gives you the right to bring up his bi polar disorder and his apparent "personal issues"? It has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread...ffs

Please outline how he has dealt with his problems publicly ... an interview on A Current Affair.:roll:

Compare this to Sailor's two year ban. Warne's one year ban.

No, he's been rewarded with jobs in the media and an assistant coach position.

oh how persious of Tahu...how many time would you hear it on the football field..and let alone among mates at the pub...man up yer pussy!!!!...the fact that inglis is even playing for qld considering his NSW background makes him one.

lturner

Juniors
People who are bothered by the past are destined to never achieve anything in the future.

That is particularly the case for someone like Tahu, who would have grown up in exactly the same (if not better) society than I did.

I hate people using excuses about their ancestors as a reason for why they feel hard done by. It's the softest option possible.

lol.

I'd put everything I have at 50-1 on that you're a middle class white kid.

Bring out the Battlers.:D

ANTiLAG

First Grade
...the fact that inglis is even playing for qld considering his NSW background makes him one.

Makes him one what? "A black c***"

Have read of this; source: http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2010/05/22/1273948213184.html

"A teenaged Greg Inglis - who stayed at the same Newcastle hostel as Tahu when he was 14 and played in the same Aboriginal knockout team - chose to represent Queensland on the advice of his Brisbane foster parents although he was raised in Bowraville. The decision was based on the widespread belief that Aboriginal athletes were not recognised in NSW as they were in Queensland.

''I never knew Laurie Daley was Aboriginal until two years ago,'' Tahu says. ''And it makes you wonder if Laurie Daley had recognised himself publicly as an Aboriginal in the past, would he still have made all those rep teams and played for Australia? That's just an example."

No son. The fact people in the NSWRL think Aboriginals and polynesians are "black c****'s" makes aboringinals want to represent Qld and not NSW.

I wonder why Folau chose Qld over NSW?!

cornerposter

Juniors
No son. The fact people in the NSWRL think Aboriginals and polynesians are "black c****'s" makes aboringinals want to represent Qld and not NSW.

I wonder why Folau chose Qld over NSW?!
:lol: GAME OVER on the Inglis debate.

500 posts and you finally nailed one, well done Lag :clap:

stormbati

Bench
I will never understand why being called a "black c..t" is so offensive.

It means a lot more than that.
What bothers me most and I have no doubt Joey isn't a racist, is that of all the names to call him, he calls Inglis a black merkin.

I also said this with Gallen, if he doesn't think it, he won't say it. Does Joey say it every now and then for it to accidentally pop out at a bad time?

Its like saying nice person or twig all the time and one day you say it and someones offended, if you never call anyone that you'll never be in danger of saying it at a bad time.

Does anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Latest posts