What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

butchmcdick

Post Whore
It would seem that Johns has used what Tahu deems racist terms for years and his describing Inglis as a black merkin was the last straw. Puts a different spin on things doesn't it ?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27264013-5018993,00.html

Watch for the Johns apologists to come out of the woodwork today particularly on channel 9. Something along the l ines of ' I know andrew is distraught about this, he is a good bloke and not a racist, it was just a slip of the tongue, tahu is being too sensitive etc etc etc. One thing nine do well is look after johns. He will have a break for a few weeks, maybe do an interview with gus saying how sorry he is and all will be forgiven.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Bourbon Beccy on Offsiders has just delivered a massive spray! Mostly BS of course, but she was spot on when she talked about the cover-up.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Why did Inglis' ethnicity matter in the context of the statement anyway? It didn't. At all. It didn't add anything to the conversation but a decidedly negative and racist aspect.

I grew up in a small country town in which about 50 per cent of the population was Aboriginal. Not surprisingly some of my best mates growing up were Aborigines. I've never heard a white friend call an Aboriginal friend a "black [anything]" in a friendly context. The only time I've heard someone call an Aboriginal guy a "black c***" to his face was when fists were about to be thrown.

I bet Johns wouldn't have called Inglis a "black c***" to his face. What does that say about the appropriateness of the remark?

If anyone has a unique relationship with Aboriginal friends or relatives where it's contextually acceptable to say things like that ... so what. Those friends/relatives may not be offended but the vast majority of others would be.

Your sister might be okay with you porking her on a regular basis too ... it doesn't make it right.

edabomb

First Grade
If a black person called a white player a "White C" nothing will come of it

Different rules for black people.

Probably because there's not much history of white people being condemned by their skin colour, so what is there to be offended about?

Shorty

Staff member
What gives idiots the idea that they can speak on behave of others?
Some of the oxygen thieves in here would be better off in Texas.
'Omg....it's soooo PC crowd, as a white male I'm allowed to speak on behalf of all races and deem what is offensive and not!'

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If a black person called a white player a "White C" nothing will come of it

Different rules for black people.

Any justification based on "if" is shaky at best.

"White c***" is no more acceptable than "black c***". If a person is offended by it, they shouldn't stand for it either and there should be some correction of the person who said it. Same rules.

The colour of a white person's skin is no more relevant than that of an Indigenous person.

It the person is a "c***" then calling them that would be sufficient to communicate that you don't appreciate their behaviour, wouldn't it? What does the colour of their skin have to do with it FFS?!?!?!

Can't people put themselves in someone's shoes just for a moment? All it takes it just a small amount of empathy to realise that what might be okay to you might actually cause someone else distress.

applesauce

Bench
Johns isn't racist (Sailor is one of his best mates), Tahu should of sorted it out with him, not walked out with any form of resolving the issue.

If he was so passionate about the issue he should of been willing to fix/mediate with Johns.

MLK didn't just hide from racism, you need to stand up and face it and show that it isn't on.

All Tahu has done is blow it out of the water where it should of stayed behind closed doors to be fixed.

Looking at if from an NRL perspective isn't this just perfect timing with the whole Folau/AFL/Polynesians situation, children and parents watching on seeing and hearing racists are in RL, maybe AFL is a good option....

FFS the timing of bad press for the NRL is just getting ridiculous.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
'Omg....it's soooo PC crowd, as a white male I'm allowed to speak on behalf of all races and deem what is offensive and not!'

My granddad was a Texan.

Your statement is actually prejudicial.

Then again, he was pretty racist. Hahaha.

:lol: LU is stuck in the '50's

" Mate yeah nah he only called him a black c***, harden the f**k the up princess n get on with it mate!"

Fibroman

First Grade
What does merkin mean?

See, you've all missed the point here. A merkin is a wig made out of pubic hair. Now if you take a close look at Inglis hair, you could easily be forgiven for thinking that he was wearing a black merkin. End of story, it was just confusion over player's hairstyles that caused the whole problem.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Johns isn't racist (Sailor is one of his best mates), Tahu should of sorted it out with him, not walked out with any form of resolving the issue.

If he was so passionate about the issue he should of been willing to fix/mediate with Johns.

MLK didn't just hide from racism, you need to stand up and face it and show that it isn't on.

All Tahu has done is blow it out of the water where it should of stayed behind closed doors to be fixed.

Looking at if from an NRL perspective isn't this just perfect timing with the whole Folau/AFL/Polynesians situation, children and parents watching on seeing and hearing racists are in RL, maybe AFL is a good option....

FFS the timing of bad press for the NRL is just getting ridiculous.

THIS

MAKES

NO

FRAKKING

SENSE

I won't even bother taking you to task on the first sentence, which is purely idiotic.

applesauce

Bench

With the whole Johns matter I think you are getting racist and ignorant stupidity confused.....

applesauce

Bench
THIS

MAKES

NO

FRAKKING

SENSE

I won't even bother taking you to task on the first sentence, which is purely idiotic.

Yeah cause running away from the man you claim to be as a racisit isn't hiding the matter.

In context of privacy it should of been kept between the parties involved, in terms of action taken towards the matter it should of been dealt with face to face.

Understand now? :roll:

isaiah

Bench
It would seem that Johns has used what Tahu deems racist terms for years and his describing Inglis as a black merkin was the last straw. Puts a different spin on things doesn't it ?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27264013-5018993,00.html

Watch for the Johns apologists to come out of the woodwork today particularly on channel 9. Something along the l ines of ' I know andrew is distraught about this, he is a good bloke and not a racist, it was just a slip of the tongue, tahu is being too sensitive etc etc etc. One thing nine do well is look after johns. He will have a break for a few weeks, maybe do an interview with gus saying how sorry he is and all will be forgiven.

oh, i am so surprised, gus said joey was in a bad place after he had been caught out, poor joey!

AuDragon

Juniors
Yeah cause running away from the man you claim to be as a racisit isn't hiding the matter.

In context of privacy it should of been kept between the parties involved, in terms of action taken towards the matter it should of been dealt with face to face.

Understand now? :roll:
And who says this wasn't attempted?
After 2 days, it's more than likely that Tahu only walked out when he realised that NSW was trying to cover up the matter, instead of dealing with it.

applesauce

Bench
At the end of the day all Tahu has done is :

Show kids to walk away from any racism facing you.
Drag the NSWRL through the mud through a public forum/media.

Tahu should of gone through the correct avenues and Johns should of been the only one who left the camp prematurely and punished, not Tahu. Tahu has set a bad example for kids and cost himself a place he deserves.