What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...rr-wont-guarantee-role-for-johns/default.aspx

Carr won't guarantee role for Johns

By Ian McCullough AAP Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:41:49

NSW Rugby League general manager Geoff Carr has refused to guarantee Andrew Johns will keep his coaching role with the Blues, following Timana Tahu's shock walkout.

The Parramatta star sensationally quit the NSW camp in Kingscliff, northern NSW on Friday, after taking exception to remarks made by his former Newcastle Knights 2001 premiership-winning team-mate.

Tahu's decision comes just four days before the Blues take on Queensland at Suncorp Stadium, as they look to stop a record-breaking fifth straight series defeat.

Carr admitted he was bitterly disappointed at Tahu's decision but said he was confident the Blues' management team had the matter under control.

He also said he was unaware of what had been said by Johns that caused the dual international to walkout.

"I have left the matter in the hands of team management and they have acted accordingly at this time of speaking," Carr told AAP on Saturday.

"At this stage we need to speak to Timana to find out what happened.

"I have tried to ring him and have also contacted Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne but as yet I have not managed to speak to either."

Carr said although Johns had remained in the camp with the team, action could still potentially be taken against him if he is found to have been in the wrong.

"Joey is very disappointed with what has happened and said he didn't mean to offend but we need to speak to Timana and we are very keen to talk to him so we can sort the situation out," he said.

"Until we do that we cannot make any guarantees about anything but I have to say, that team management seem comfortable with Joeys' role and I am sure if they were not then they would have acted.

"It is a sad situation and not ideal but we have to get back to preparing to try and level the series."

Stunned Blues officials were forced to call up Canberra Raiders winger Joel Monaghan, as an emergency replacement for Tahu.

Monaghan needed a medical clearance for a thumb injury, which he only received on Saturday morning but has been cleared to train with the rest of the team.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Possible translation: We're trying to seal the comments but if its leaked its so bad we will have to sack Joey

Chook Norris

First Grade
as aforementioned.. Johns coaching record has somewhat been terrible over the years

Last edited:

FastEddie

Juniors
Why pick someone with speed, strength, size and youth like Lawrence. Let's recycle the same, past it, useless spastics NSW has for seasons on end

El Diablo

Post Whore
So the boss of nswrl still doesn't know what happened. Talk about clueless.

he was on 2GB earlier and said it had been investigated by Craig Young who is a former cop and he saw no reason for him to be sacked and other players were happy for Johns to stay

cornerposter

Juniors
How does Nathan Merritt not get a run?

Nathan Blacklock was the NRL's leading tryscorer 3 years running and couldn't get a go. The year he was on fire and had his best chance of selection, he scored a miracle try in the 80th minute to win the game for the dragons over the tigers on the day before the squad was announced. He had to be picked but wasn't.
hmmm, just what do NSW selectors have against zippy wingers that actually score tries?

Andrew Webster is reporting Andrew Johns said something to team mates in front of Tahu, and Tahu apparently took major offense to it.
"Anyone caught with their hands in my pillbox will be kicked off the team"

There is absolutely nothing (and I genuinely mean that) anyone could say that would offend me enough to not play a game of touch footy on Monday nights - let alone an origin.
:lol:

Bedsy-->Joey--->Cut out to Tahu--->Score!
Is this Newcastle's hierarchy of supply?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
At this rate we really should be playing Victoria for next years Origin series.

The real comedy will be what Channel N(SW)ine will wangle to make Johns look heroic through all this.

matt

Juniors
fair point, but even if it is racial bound. Mates rib mates about all kinds of sh*t, i get ribbed for my lisp, one of my mates gets ribbed for his lazy eye, one for being a Mediterranean Descendant, another for being adopted, and other for being black. Its just a laugh, and if one of us steps over the line, we apologise and get on with matters

the fact its your mates, you KNOW he's not saying it to genuinely upset or offend you, so in that circumstance its pretty easy to tell a mate he over stepped the mark, he apologies and everyone moves on.

perhaps me and my mates are a rare breed but i highly doubt it, i imagine this is common amongst most mates.
To me it sounds like Tahu's either got some other issues at play here and what ever the comment was just tipped him over the, that or he's just too precious.

I guess there is a line that even if a mate crossed it, you'd be pretty pissed ie. something about your partner, so if its something like that, i guess id have to retract my remarks. So i guess what im saying in a round about way, is fair point.

f**k YOU merkin!!!

Green Machine

First Grade
Tomorrow, I wonder what line the Daily Astonisher will take their boy Joey. Will Bec and Buz go into damage control? Should be interesting,

Latest posts