What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu to Union

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
You're kidding yourself if you think this has anything to do with him leaving. I won't defend our halves but Tahu would be gone if we had Lockyer and Johns at 6 and 7.

Sarcasm.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Interesting - Never REALLY rated him, quality player? yes!, but not in the league of the Gaz's etc

Waratahs definitely need some outside back help so this is a good signing for them - however one swallow doesnt make a summer - Aussie rugby is in the sh*t - well to be precise world rugby is in the sh*t atm - all the best players come from NZ, NZ rugby is exciting to watch and have talented players, everyone else is just weak

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Lol the ARU are such a bunch of monkeys. Australian unions is sh*t largely because Australia hasn't produced any decent forwards in year, and all they keep doing is paying stupid amounts of money for League outside backs to set up their retirement funds. Ah well, will be fun seeing Rockocoko, Muliaina and co run rings around him come 3N time.

Ridders

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Lol the ARU are such a bunch of monkeys. Australian unions is sh*t largely because Australia hasn't produced any decent forwards in year, and all they keep doing is paying stupid amounts of money for League outside backs to set up their retirement funds. Ah well, will be fun seeing Rockocoko, Muliaina and co run rings around him come 3N time.

yeh i remember al baxter saying sometime back that forwards weren't as appreciated in Australia as they are in countries such as south africa, were they are treated with equal importance to backs. Id don't know why the ARU can't realise that a game of union is won and lost with your forwards. No matter how many league back you wanna buy, if you don't have a good forward pack, you'll never beat teams like NZ

boonboon

Juniors
Retirement fund the guy is 26

Tahu has speed, agility and can play centre and wing

As for Union stealing players League did it for 100 years and strangley I dont remeber anyone from Rugby League saying how bad it was and how crap it made rugby league

Get over the fact that these players signed up to play rugby because they saw the opportunity to travel see the world play real international football, earn more money (how horrible of them ) and play a game where the ball is up for a contest on ever5y play give themselves a new challenge and lucky for them rugby union administrators are smart enough to pick up players who can improve the spectacle and money coming into thier game so they can increase crowds, sponsorship and in turn money for developement

taipan

Referee
Tahu only a week or so ago bagged union,as boring and backs having very little involvement.Suggesting that he is getting paid an arm and a leg,and further proving rugby ugly couldn't develop a pimple if they were injected with sugar.

Another rugby ugly junior losing a spot,keep it up gooseboys your grassroots will be proud of you.:oops:

Ridders

Coach
boonboon said:

As for Union stealing players League did it for 100 years and strangley I dont remeber anyone from Rugby League saying how bad it was and how crap it made rugby league

Get over the fact that these players signed up to play rugby because they saw the opportunity to travel see the world play real international football, earn more money (how horrible of them ) and play a game where the ball is up for a contest on ever5y play give themselves a new challenge and lucky for them rugby union administrators are smart enough to pick up players who can improve the spectacle and money coming into thier game so they can increase crowds, sponsorship and in turn money for developement

Sam Harris has done that how???

Parra Guru

Coach
boonboon said:

I agree with you there.

But think the money is wasted on Tahu. Do you watch him play every week? He can't pass, he has 2 damaging wingers on either side of the field and starves them constantly. Don't centres in union need to be able to spin the ball?

tbh NSW Rugby should spend more time and money promoting the game of Rugby Union across Sydney and in the strong country areas. Believe me, I don't give a sh*t how many leaguies they buy, but it is only a quick fix for a large development problem in the game. All they are doing is teaching kids that the way to get ahead in footy is to start out in Rugby League.

The Waratahs sh*t me to no end with their poor attitude and commitment to developing Rugby in this State. Which is why I switched at the start of 06 to supporting the Force.

legend

Coach
boonboon said:

Do you seriously believe this? The Waratahs are getting less people than ever and the game is bleeding big time in Australia and I can confidently say that since Rugby turned professional, they are at there lowest ebb. Even union diehards would agree and regardless of how many backs you buy, it won't solve the problem.

The Reds and Waratahs have Tuqiri, Barnes, Harris and Schif, all League players and both teams are anchored to the bottom of the table.

If I was a union man, I'd be pissed at all teh money splashed out on league players because the ARU are neglecting their own backyard and these kids will inevitably end up playing League, especially if the salary cap continues to rise.

Glen

Bench
Not happy to see Tahu go but at least he hasn't used rugby as a media ploy to beef up his contract. He kept it to himself and did the deal.

Such a talented athlete but every time he gets some really good form going he seems to pick up a 4-5 week injury. He was also a bit overpaid at Parra I'm led to believe so at least it frees up some money for other recruitment

Parra Guru

Coach
I am a supporter of both codes, I have loved league since I first took breath, but I have followed Rugby for the last 5 years or so.

boonboon, you seem like a rah rah fan to me, do you really think that union will survive with the whole 'yay we got 1 up on league' attitude? Incase you didn't notice, the NRL got it's highest round 1 aggregate crowd this weekend since 1995. The Tahs got 16,000 to the game. Tahu's not going to solve that problem.

Parra Guru

Coach
legend said:
Do you seriously believe this? The Waratahs are getting less people than ever and the game is bleeding big time in Australia and I can confidently say that since Rugby turned professional, they are at there lowest ebb. Even union diehards would agree and regardless of how many backs you buy, it won't solve the problem.

The Reds and Waratahs have Tuqiri, Barnes, Harris and Schif, all League players and both teams are anchored to the bottom of the table.

If I was a union man, I'd be pissed at all teh money splashed out on league players because the ARU are neglecting their own backyard and these kids will inevitably end up playing League, especially if the salary cap continues to rise.

Didn't see this post, I agree completely.

And you will find most Force & Brumbies fans can see how ridiculous the mentality is.

The ARU haven't done any decent promotions since the 2003 World Cup.

lucablight

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
If Parra has any balls, put him in the f**king Jim Beam Cup.

Why would you? He hasn't done anything wrong. Why would you jeopardise your chances of winning a comp by doing that?

Ant

Juniors
Well being an eels fan I am disappointed. I am a fan of both games and have played both, but my preference is league.

First a positive some praise for Tahu is the way he went about negotiations, no Tuqiri rubbish, no one knew it was coming, so he clearly didn't use it to bump his asking price. Someone mentioned he didn't have a manager could be the reason.

I guess from the rugby point of view, they may as well do away with grass roots rugby, because surely the message is you are not good enough. Unless a league club has picked you up you are not good enough. Any rugby possible would now say to themselves why don't I just do a Matt Rogers, play league, sign for a ridiculous fee play union till you have a family and want to stay at home more, return to league.

Lets take Tahu at his word perhaps he is up for the challenge, but some would say perhaps he should first master centre play in league. His only rep spots have been wing and while he is a good centre he is not the best.

But on the union front he is an excellent signing, they need someone to play outside centre who is big, fast and has excellent footwork. Tahu is that. Skill wise well he has plenty to learn. But he brings more to the table than most of the current wallaby centre options, the fact that Tuqiri has regularly played centre shows you that skill is not everything. But australian rugby's biggest problem is forwards, and it will be Tahu's as well. If the wallaby forwards don't improve any wallaby outside back will get very limited ball.

Well the one thing from an eels point of view, at least we don't have to worry about upsetting him and putting him on the wing if we need to now.

Latest posts